1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Husband won't let daughter attend Pride parade

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by dreamingfreely, Jun 17, 2017.

1. dreamingfreely

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    So I told my husband today that my college might have a float this year and that they asked people to sign up for it and my daughter and I did. He said she is too young to go (she will be 13 in August ) because some men dress in assless chaps and are half naked. As of yet he doesn't know that she is gay. My feelings are that she is old enough and has seen worse on TV probably. My husband said he would go and support me but she couldn't go. My daughter is planning to talk to him tomorrow (she is too upset tonight ) and say that she overheard our conversation and that she wants to go and when he gets into his argument she is thinking of telling him she is gay. I told her that there is still a chance he will not change his mind.

Anyone have any thing I say to him to make him see our side. I asked him to be open minded and think about it but he said he honestly didn't think he would change his mind. I don't want to make it a big fight or make him be defensive. He mentioned that he wouldn't protest if she was 16 or older. She heard that and is so upset. I really wanted to go as well but I would feel bad to go alone. I don't know anyone to go with. I was hoping he would want her with me so I couldn't have too much fun lol. Any help with intelligent counter argument would be appreciated.

2. dreamingfreely

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Oh and my daughter wasnot really ready to tell him just yet. We have been talking about it for a couple days now. I was asking her if she planned to tell him soon and was leaning towards it being a good idea. She didn't want him to be weird about her sleep overs and think that her friends are her girlfriend or something. I'm the more laid back parent and he is pretty strict. Anyway I told her that it is not for me to say when she tells people. It is hard knowing that I know and he doesn't. Oh I told her if she does go through with her plans that she needs to say it to both of us or he will be upset that I knew.

3. Jax12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's the reason my boyfriend doesn't like going to Pride, for the reasons that your husband stated. While it's true that during pride many people dress very... revealing, I think if she wants to go then she's done her fair share of research on what to expect there.

I went to pride last year, and the atmosphere was very uplifting. Lot of people were happy and quite frankly I saw many kids during the parade. I think that if she doesn't want to see something she'll turn away, as anyone would if they didn't want to see something.

4. Abigail15

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I see what he's saying about the revealing clothing etc as my parents would stop me from watching certain TV shows when I was around her age. But I think maybe she just needs to sit down with him and explain that she's not a child and that she knows what to expect! Hopefully he'll see how upset she is about it.

Is there a chance he doesn't want her going because he suspects she is gay?

5. dreamingfreely

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Abigail15 - no I don't believe he expects anything about her being gay. I don't think he would say no because of that. I think he wants to protect her from adult themes. I think if it was a straight parade with the chance of half naked people he would object. He is very protective and strict when it comes to the kids. I feel it is almost smothering lol. My goal is to get her to as many lgbt events as possible so that she feels part of a community and doesn't feel secluded. I want her to be happy. Hope that makes sense but it is very important to me that she has a lot of positivity about being gay. Plus I really want to go to more things because I feel so comfortable at them.

#5 dreamingfreely, Jun 18, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
  6. Abigail15

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Understandable to an extent! I'm 20 and my mum still tries to turn over the sex scenes on the TV! Perhaps her speaking to him could help a tad? or suggest that he even comes with - perhaps not?

7. dreamingfreely

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    My son is 22 goes to school works but still lives with us and my husband is still a little smothering with him. In contrast I remember my dad and grandma took me to Black's beach which is a nude beach when I was maybe in 1st grade or so. I'm more like don't get hurt or arrested and it is fine lol not really but that is what my husband thinks. Oh he said he would want to come support me but doesn't want to see the nudity himself or think it is appropriate for our daughter.

#7 dreamingfreely, Jun 18, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2017