1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pride

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by cocobean, Jun 16, 2017.

1. cocobean

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    This year will be the first time I'm going to Pride. I've seen the parade before, but I've never actually been to the party in the park. Although I'm still not sure what to expect, I'm wondering whether this could actually "out" me? We have a VERY big LGBT community where I live, so if certain people asked I'd just tell them it's a big event here so it's hard not to watch the parade! I don't plan on telling them I am going to the party bit!

Can anyone give me any advice on what to expect, and what to take?

2. Humbly Me

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    What are you looking to get out of the pride event? Are you trying to meet people, or just watch a parade to support the LGBT+ community?

3. cocobean

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    We're watching the parade and then going to the after party and the other events that are happening. I don't know what it's like as I've never been and am going with friends so no idea what I want to get out of It?!

4. Humbly Me

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That is fine. Just be aware that there are some pretty strange people at LGBT pride events sometimes, in addition to all the wonderful nice people. And there are lots if people, especially guys, who are practically naked and very sexually promiscuous (there are some people this bothers, personally not a problem for me). I really don't know what you will find, they tend to be different depending on the city and event. After parties tend to consist of LGBT comedians / DJs / bands in a basically nightclub setting.

#4 Humbly Me, Jun 18, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2017
  5. Abigail15

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My first pride experience was with a bunch of friends, most of which (at the time at least) identify as straight. I've only ever been to London Pride and I know that some people go purely for the entertainment or generally as a day out in London. It's so much fun and I don't think it's going to out you at all! Are the friends you're going with straight? That might make a difference to people's perception of why you're there.

For the most part people don't care what you are when you're actually there!

6. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can't imagine being there outing you if it's a fairly large event. Here in Chicago about a million people usually attend! They're definitely not all gay. Year before last it seemed we were surrounded by young families. Everybody had a great time. As far as the people being scandalous somehow I wouldn't say that's the case here in Chicago. After a few hours of churches and politicians I generally wish there were a few more go go boys and drag queens. Have fun!