1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not born this way?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by BothWaysSecret, Jun 14, 2017.

1. BothWaysSecret

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I know most LGBT people say they were born that way. However, I don't think I was. I truly feel like I was born straight, then became bisexual later. There were definitely signs that I was bisexual for a while, but I don't feel like those signs and feelings were there from birth.

Has anyone else ever felt like this?

2. tomboyprettyboy

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    sexuality is often fluid, many bisexual people discover they are attracted to both later in life, I had a friend who was a conviced lesbian and discovered also liking guys only at 18

3. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It is normal. I thought I was straight until I was 27 I think you just find that about yourself later

4. BiGuy365

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Definitely, there were a couple of short "experiences" when I was really young. That may have seeded something, but I lived a straight life and I thought straight, that is to say was definitely attracted to girls and never thought much about guys. Then, it is like some "realignment" occurred.

5. Clinker

Clinker Guest

Started questioning around 3 years ago, accepted it middle of last year. Before that though, no interest in attraction, let alone sexual preference. As tomboyprettyboy said above "many bisexual people discover they are attracted to both later in life"

6. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    - Some people have more fluid sexuality
    - Some people are in denial longer

7. butHitlerisDead

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The notion we were "born this way" with our sexual orientation already determined has been used in response to people who argue that homosexuality is a choice. However, there isn't any scientific evidence I'm aware of that one's sexuality has already been determined by the time they were born (as opposed to developing later). This doesn't mean we choose our sexual orientation, but it doesn't mean that it's not something that develops after birth or that can evolve over our lifetimes.

There are many people, both gay and bisexual, who realize their sexual orientation at a young age and then are content with that label for the rest of their lives. Yet there are just as many who live half their lives before figuring it out (although I will admit that on average it does seem bisexual people figure it out later than gay people.) Whether that's because they just didn't understand their feelings before or if their orientation actually changed, we don't know. But I don't think it ultimately matters. There's nothing wrong with just saying "I thought I was straight but now I see I'm bisexual" regardless of the reasons.

For me personally, I can tell you I realized I was bisexual around age 14. Before then I did assume I was straight because I knew I was attracted to men, but I think 14 is still young enough that I can't necessarily say my sexuality "changed" so much as that this was around the time I was starting to figure out my sexuality in general anyway. I probably just didn't piece together that I was attracted to women before that point.

#7 butHitlerisDead, Jun 14, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2017