1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Feels Weird Being Called "New" Name For First Time

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Nike007, Jun 13, 2017.

1. Nike007

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So today I decided to come out to my social worker. She's really nice, and I've known her for years. Of course, she's fine with it. I didn't expect to see her today to be honest, as I was suppose to see her last week but she had something else going on. So there was no mental preparation for this.

So I just said I was non-binary at first because I didn't want to confuse her or anything. And then she was just asking pronouns and I said they/them, for simplicity sake. I really would prefer Niko/Niko's in a perfect world. And then she mentioned that other people whom she's worked with said they are a specific type of non-binary and I said I was, and explained that androgyne (don't know how to pronounce this so if anyone does, it'd be appreciated. Dictionaries pronounce it different ways) is me feeling male and female at the same time, like it's one gender and not two different things for me (I'm not genderfluid). And I mentioned I chose a name I'd like to be called, and she asked what I was, and I said Niko. And then she said she liked how it came from my original name of Nicole, since I do like my name, and asked if she could call me Niko. I said it was fine, and so she did. I liked it, but it was hard for me. For years, I've been called Nicole, so having this person who has known me for years call me by my name instead of my birth name feels... weird. Is this a common experience? I really like the name, and think about it a lot, and have read this thing where you could test your pronouns and name to see if you like it out loud, and it sounds good. But hearing it out of someone else's mouth felt unfamiliar to my ears. I felt like a different person. I was more confused than not. I've never hated my name, so maybe it's because of this or maybe just that I feel people judge me for this? I have social anxiety disorder, so I feel constantly judged 24/7 for anything. Maybe I need time like others need time.

Tl; Dr.
    I came out to my social worker and she asked if she could call me by my name instead of birth name. The experience felt weird. I like my name, but hearing people who I've known for years say it makes me feel anxious and uncomfortable. I've been called by my birth name for so many years that I have attachment to it, as I've never hated it in the first place. I just want a gender neutral name. Has this happened to other people who have changed their name?

2. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey I don't have any direct experience but I think new things can often feel strange even if it is something we want. A bit like trying on new glasses, it's not that you don't like how they look it's just you are so used to seeing the old ones it looks a bit strange. Maybe give it some more time and see how you feel. You don't have to tell anyone else on the meantime unless you want to.

3. Cody18

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For me personally when people used my chosen/new/now legal name it made me incredibly happy, I think largely because I saw myself as finally being able to make some progress with becoming more how I desired myself to be.

However I did have issues adapting to my new pronouns. This was in no way to say that my new pronouns were not the correct ones for me as they did make me feel significantly more "right" than the female alternative. It was simply because I had become so used to female pronouns that being called by different ones, no matter how right they were, was still odd to me.

This could very well be the case with yourself. Although there is a chance it may not be. Really I would just say give yourself some more time to adjust, if it still isn't feeling like a name that fits particularly well with you then you can always try alternatives later on.

4. Vincentt

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Considering that you had never been called your preferred by someone, I don't think it's out of the ordinary for you to feel awkward the first time someone used it. I'm not out to anyone yet but I'm sure that once I transition there will be a period of weirdness as I adjust to the name "Vincent".

5. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It was weird for me to be called my new name at first. It took me a bit to get used to it. I will still respond to my old name...lol.

I think that it just takes some time to adjust to somebody else using the name that you have chosen for yourself. Before, it was a name that you probably only used yourself. So, to have somebody else use it can be a bit scary and unsettling at first.

6. Nike007

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you everyone for your response.

I feel like things will also get easier once I move away from home. I'm going to university this year, and university seems like a "clean slate" so I can just introduce myself as Niko and not worry about it.

I won't be called by my preferred name for a while though, as I won't see this social worker officially ever again. Today was my last appointment. And the other person I came out to I don't really see in a personal setting.