1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are the NHS waiting times illegal?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by sam314159, Jun 10, 2017.

1. sam314159

So I know that the shortest waiting time on the NHS for a first appointment at a GIC is about 14 months. However, for NHS departments I've had problems rescheduling appointments for other health conditions because they would end up violating the 18 week maximum waiting time. I looked it up and found that this right to waiting no longer than 18 weeks is a legal right, and the only exceptions are if your condition has to be monitored for a longer time, or you choose to wait longer.

I understand that time is needed to make the right assessments and to see how feelings change over time, but wouldn't this make the 14 month wait for a first appointment illegal? If so, why is nothing being done about this? Surely it would make more sense to try and sort this out rather than risk even more having to be paid in compensation because of the waiting times.

2. Aberrance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There's nowhere near enough funding and unfortunately most people give less than two shits about those with gender dysphoria. I'm not sure there's any way you can sue because of the waiting times. I know of some very headstrong transguys who have sat through the waiting lists and I'm sure if there was compensation to be gained they would have tried it. The only thing I've heard that can be done is to complain to PALS but even then, complaining about the waiting times is going to end up pretty pointless unfortunately.

Charing Cross have been taken over by Tavistock and Portman and things are meant to be a lot more efficient because of it but so far I've still heard some pretty disappointing things about them. They also have a 12 month wait for each appointment after the first which is pretty soul destroying. I ended up going private because I couldn't bear to wait 3+ years to get on T but even the private waiting lists are getting to be 6-9 months for a first appointment. It's all to do with finding and the fact that there aren't enough doctors for the amount of referrals. Eh, you just have to find your own way of dealing with it man. Don't think about it too much, have smaller goals to reach before you get to the GIC so you're keeping on top of your transition and have something to aim towards.

3. randomconnorcon

I try not to think about the mess that is NHS waiting times, nor do I like to think of my GP halting physical and mental health conditions because neither of us want to make the NHS wait for the GIC even longer - or worse, start from the bottom all over again. Sadly, I have no clue how we could do anything in terms of suing or if there's any way to make things better, especially with a government that may likely consist of Conseratives and the DUP. We weren't exactly high on the government's list of priorities to begin with.

If you can deal with the wait, my advice would be to have smaller, more focused goals as well, things that can keep you occupied. Some can be transition related, they help with believing you're actually making steps forward, and others can be for your life in general. If you have the money, probably go private - it's what Isaac did, it's what I'm doing. The waiting lists are getting longer, but they've actually been talking to me about that, so I already have more faith in them. And the lists are still shorter than the NHS - right now, anyway.

#3 randomconnorcon, Jun 10, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2017