1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is friendship between males?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by ryan81, Jun 9, 2017.

1. ryan81

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Hey everyone,

I have question which I've been grappling with for several years now: what is friendship between males?

Some background: I'm a man and sexually attracted to men, but so far I've only dated women (more on that later). I grew up in a small town where there was a lot of emphasis and interest in sports, and although I was athletic and played sports for a long time growing up, I never had much interest in sports and therefore did not share much in common with my peers. This made it challenging to make friends. I had a great friend in elementary school who had similar interests, but he moved away, and we fell out of contact. I haven't really had any close friends from middle school through high school.

Then, going to college, I tried making friends, particularly with other males (I have typically gotten along with women just fine) but soon realized that I have absolutely no idea how to interact with other guys. My conversations with them were weird, and we had very little in common.

My second year of college, I met a girl, and we started dating. This relationship was quite strange in that we broke up countless times and wound up back together at some point. We broke up (for the final time) the summer before my fourth year (last summer), and we agreed to be friends. She was absolutely my best (and only friend). During a dismal conversation a few months ago, I found out that she was using this friendship and demonstrating kindness to me as a way to lure me into marrying her. To reiterate, we had agreed to stay friends and nothing more, yet the friendship was used by her as a way to seduce me into marriage. Maybe it's just me, but this seems pretty insane. Since I stated that I did not want to marry her and that we had discussed this exact thing months before, she decided to completely sever the friendship. I spent nearly all of the social time I had (which wasn't very much) with her and consequently did not spend much time getting to know my male peers.

Since this was my only real friendship throughout college and ended quite strangely, I have really no idea what friendship looks like anymore. This "friendship" with this female friend of mine caused me to seriously reconsider what friendship looks like in general, and more importantly, I have no idea what it looks like for guys to interact together as friends.

This may be a silly question, but as I'm trying to meet people and make friends (particularly with other men, nothing romantic but just friendship), I'm not quite sure what guys do together when their just friends. What do they do together? How frequently do they talk to each other? What do they talk about?

Thanks for reading this. I appreciate any insight you have to offer about what friendship looks like, particularly friendship between men.

--Ryan

itsnotavery likes this.
  2. Humbly Me

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It depends on guys. Jock guys tend to stick themselves into little groups of guys that hang out practically everyday and never really talk to anyone who isn't in another one of their groups. Less sport oriented people tend to have some close friends that they play games with (varies from things like dnd to CoD and beyond into golfing together, Lazer tag, etc...) go hiking In the woods, or even play some sports or play paintball, roller skate, skate board, and some people even have painting club type stuff going on. It varies on the people's interests a lot, for instance my older cousin who is in the air force reserves plays DnD (because I taught him) with his friends for the air force even though they tend to be very athletic people.

There are also lots of people that just get together and drink at bars, or random places, but I would not recommend that unless you really love bars or something.

Most of this is 2nd hand knowledge coming from older family members and friends though, so don't take it as gospel.

3. Maddox232003

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well... Is based on peoples like some which some boys love science and other nerdy things like me. And thats what i have common with my current and only one THE Best Friend but... Most boys nowadays are either interested in sports or games and girls... They dont really have interest in friends and stuff... They usually just take advantage on friends. Which i have suffer once from the hard way. And after that i devoted to find a best friend. Maybe i have find one... Usually its based on what both of your common interests are. But usually boys dont care about best friends so is better not to think of even having date with them... Though i am lucky to have a friend that i can truly talk with him almost anything. So keep finding and find someone that have common interests with you which is rare but here comes hoping.

4. Braydon

Well, I have a couple different "groups" of friends, each one is different, different kinds of people, different activities, nothing is 100% universal, each guy has different likes and expectations from things. Some of my friends I see out of school and stuff some, some I don't, some I've been to their house, most I haven't, I've done a lot with some, less with others. It just depends on people and there aren't really requirements on how much you need to talk, exactly what to talk about, or whatever.

#4 Braydon, Jun 10, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2017
  5. Grounded Eagle

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've struggled a lot with this as well. I had a few guy friends when I was a kid, but adult relationships are of course different. Personally I'm intimidated by any guy who doesn't expressly know I'm gay and is cool with it. I have a few guy friends now and we get together from time to time to go hiking, watch TV or a movie, etc. It feels pretty good to have straight male friends and feel accepted in their circle. But then we also have a lot of things in common (interests, politics, university program) which is the main reason we hang out.

6. Legit2017

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Ryan, I can give you this perspective. I'm pretty much straight but I have a lot of gay friends of both genders. The friendships I have with my straight friends are usually based upon common interests, fishing and hunting mostly for me. We generally only get together for these activities, watching sports, and occasionally meet for a beer or cookout (usually with mixed groups) or sporting events. Our conversations usually revolve around these activities, work, kids, and the occasional problem with work or family. Conversations are rarely deep and emotional issues are almost never discussed unless there are a major stress - divorces, illness, etc. When I was younger, women were a topic but not so much now. There's a lot competition talk.

Frankly, I find it hard to have really close relationships with straight males. I find them crass and way they talk about people, especially women, is rather disgusting and makes me uncomfortable. The exception is guys who are around my age or older than I am (I'm 57) and are very secure, who generally are more understanding and empathetic.

On the other hand, most of the gay or bi male friends are MUCH more empathetic, understanding, gentler, accepting, non-judgemental, and understanding of emotional issues. Especially bi males and women. And honest.

Of course, this is generally - there are exceptions.

I find it much easier to open up to non-straight males. Our friendships have a different tone, interaction, and I find it easier to put a hand on shoulder, or a hug goodbye. With straight friends, it's always a hard firm handshake. While some of the activities are the same, I generally don't hang with straight friends for intellectual activities, movies, or artsy stuff.

I am not really physically attracted to men, although I appreciate a hot body of either gender. But my emotional attraction to gay/bi men is much the same as I have for women. But again, there are exceptions. I used to have a lesbian friend who was - at the time - my best buddy. I never felt emotionally attracted to her, but we sure drank some tequila!

In conclusion, I would say friendship is what you make of it. There are no rules. You might have friends who interact a certain way with, and other friends you interact completely different with. Sometimes you might prefer one over the other , depending on mood or what you feel like doing or what is going on in your life.

The good news is you can cultivate friends of all sorts. I actually have a couple of buddies who are hard-core bikers. Lol.

7. Legit2017

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I should also mention that with typical straight guys, arguments and differences of opinions are generally don't-give-a-shit-what-you-think, and we may not talk for months afterwards, with no apologies.

If I have an argument with one of my gay friends, there is usually follow-up calls, and we talk it out. Straight guys don't talk things though much.

8. Humbly Me

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I guess I'm fortunate to have slightly more understanding straight acquaintances. They don't tend to do much talking about deep subjects though. I really need more gay male friends but they are hard to find when there are 2 out guys at my school...