1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I never told the one I loved that I loved her...

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Naos210, Jun 9, 2017.

1. Naos210

Note: If it's too long to read, skip to the last paragraph.

I know, "love" is a loaded word. And for someone as young as I am (I graduated high school a couple of weeks ago), it will be passed off as "puppy love", but hey, love is what I felt, so that's what I'll call it.

For a bit of background, I liked this girl, Destiny, for about... three years. Since about sophomore year. I didn't even know her name that year, I just saw her around, and I fell into feelings so quick. I didn't know really anything about her. I joined choir the next year, a class she had took all four years of high school. And well, I was happy. Though, still too scared to really speak to her much. We were acquainted a bit, but that was it. Then, my senior year came along, and while another girl distracted me for a bit the first term, the second term, I finally got my nerve to speak to her... unfortunately, there was only like, four months of high school left. When two months or so left before graduation came around, we got really talking. And we clicked. So well. Better than I have with anyone else in my life. We became good friends over the course of a month. And we had fun, albeit often short times together.

Unfortunately, I never actually got the courage to say what my feelings were. I thought I was going to be disappointed if my attraction was unrequited, but this is even worse. I don't even have an answer now. I can't know. That questioning of what could have been just makes my figurative heart hurt.

Worst part is, I've never felt this way before, and didn't expect to feel this way ever in my life. I always thought that I was too cynical, I was too far gone, too depressed to fall in love, but I was really wrong. I completely regret my decision to keep it quiet. Even if I had a 1% chance of her liking me too... now it's zero. There is that sliver of chance she might come back like some of the choir kids do to say hi to the teacher and students, but I doubt it'll help any. I'm just too broken.

I thought I'd be perfectly fine by myself, but it turns out I have a desire for life companionship as much as every other human being. I used to think I was asexual, or even aromantic. My attractions were just to make me seem more normal, but this was real. So, I have to ask, has anyone felt this way, and it didn't work out? I'd like to know if I'll ever be able to pull myself out of this gutter, and if I'll ever love someone again the same way.

2. FluffyLightFox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I know the feeling, and how you must feel (at least partially). I never told my first crush how I felt about him (due to a combination of lack of words, lack of courage, and a general sense of "WTF is happening" that prevented me from thinking clearly but hey, I was thirteen), which left me devastated, and I believe contributed to the apparition of the first symptoms of depression I've ever noticed.

But enough with the relatable story. I think a lot of us do go through that first moment of awe which opens our eyes and slaps our face telling us "you ain't straight my dear" and often we don't do anything about it or it's so slow that eventually the window of possibilities narrows down to zero.
    And, will you be able to get that nasty feeling away and one day feel love again? I can tell you personally that you will certainly, with enough time, get used to the regret so much that it will fade away and turn into another "well that could've happened but" kind of memory (assuming that sense of regret doesn't mess up with your mental health, you should be careful with that). And can you love again? I don't know, probably. I haven't felt anything as strong since then (for many reasons) and even today I doubt I'll let myself love again, but you're most likely not where I am today and you'll probably end up fine after a while. Just take the time to figure yourself out, be out and proud, and that should be it.

PS: Puppy love is best love. It's attraction regardless of the concentration of cheese in the feeling.

3. Naos210

Hmm... well, my first actual crush here took far too long to actually start. Granted, it started when I was 15, but until I was about 17 is when the closer thing to love seemed to arise, because well, I didn't know her. Problem was, I didn't have enough time. Maybe a full year, or even another month or two, would have made saying something a lot easier. I have a lot of trust issues, and I've never clicked with someone as well and with as short a time span. I'm not that great at being social. It took me almost three years just to speak to her. So you can clearly tell how bad my anxiety is. I guess I kinda had this sense of not wanting to fall in love. Same reason I didn't make friends at first. I used to be completely cold and oblivious to people because I didn't want to get hurt. Then I gradually opened up and here we are. Problem is, I do feel I will retreat into that other personality again, that cold, emotionless, anti-social me who cares about nothing at all (which was ages 12-15). What sucks is, even if I do find someone else... it'll take me years, and then more years just to interact with them on a more personal level. It's my anxiety that'll always screw me over. My mental health is already bad enough as it is. You don't need to worry about that.

So you said not as strong. So you did have feelings again? For me, I can't even get feelings much at all, romantic or sexual, aside from her. I went on an "adult movie" binge, but I found it repulsing (like usual), and gave up cause I got no gratification. To be honest, it's worrying me. Granted, last time I saw her was only a couple of weeks ago, but the fact all romantic and sexual thoughts aside from her have been practically expelled, I think it's a bit alarming.

4. Altruistic blue

Wow, this was like a parallel reality of my own. I relate to you so much, situationally and personality wise. I've also recently left highschool

I've always been the person to hold all my feelings back if I felt like they were too much to deal with, and when I was ready to face them, the opportunity was long gone. I've learned to cope with the fact that sometimes you don't get what you want, and that sometimes you don't know what you want until its gone.

I've made the recent discovery about my sexuality that changed a lot of things in my life and I'm slowly but surely coming to terms with it. But I've also realized a lot of the troubles that I've faced and some regrets that I have. I know what your going through by not expressing how you feel out of fear. But dwelling is probably the worst thing you can do. If you have the ability to get in touch with your friend/interest then I say take it (don't scare them with all of your emotions lol) but if you don't, find some way of not letting the guilt take over your mind

5. Naos210

Oh, I have connections through social media. It just really discouraged me when she didn't offer to keep in touch, so I'd feel like a bit of an annoyance. That aside, I'm glad you've made that discovery. I still haven't come to terms gender or sexuality wise. When you said sometimes you don't get what you want. Well, I get that. You can't always win. However, I wanted to win. Just this one time. Someone did tell me you need to love yourself before you can love someone else, and that could be the problem. But for me, it's a much bigger thing. I need that validation, that something, to keep me going. To be honest, I was about to flunk out of high school, till she pushed me to do it. I needed someone that I loved to push me to care. And without that... well, I'm worried.

6. beenthrdonetht

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think it's never too late to say your feelings. And the only way to get good at it is to do it. Remember, she is another human just like you and could be shy about saying what's on both your minds.

It sounds like you are not too disturbed by the direction of your feelings (good on you) but rather surprised that they surfaced at all. I think your view of the future ("it'll take years") is too dire. Things can take just seconds sometimes!

Overall, something about your story just caught me. It seems like the light dawning after a long night. It can happen again! The world is pretty big you know.

7. Naos210

I know her personality, and she's not shy at all. She has this spunky, sassy attitude that certainly would probably be more open and outgoing. Granted, I've heard something about her possibly having a bad history with relationships. And yeah, I'm surprised feelings surfaced. Like I said, I thought I'd be fine alone, and never get too close to people for something like that to happen. I guess I had a bit of a complex, wanting to transcend these emotions. Sure, things can take seconds, but I do feel moving on from this could take awhile. Granted to be fair, I haven't left my home much since graduation, so my pool of meeting people is far less decreased.