1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

High School and Dating Apps

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by GayIsTheWay374, Jun 9, 2017.

1. GayIsTheWay374

I'm currently in high school. I want to meet other gay guys in my area. So...when is the youngest I should use a dating app. and What should I use?

2. Humbly Me

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    1st, dating app names are not allowed on this site. 2nd, unless you have no other real ways to contact people they are not recommended. 3rd, you must be above 18 to legally use them, even though there are people below that age who do. 4th, if you do chose to use them do not have sex on the first date and make sure to meet in a public place if you care about your personal safety.

3. FluffyLightFox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Well, 18 years old according to their terms of services.
    It was mentioned above but not only can we not give you names, I doubt any sane person around here would recommend them to you if they cared about your emotional and physical safety. Stay away from them. The best you'll find there is STDs.
    If you're still willing to mess yourself up that bad then refer to the post above.

Welcome to lonely queer highschoolers town, population : almost everyone.
    Don't think other people like you get it easy, we don't. It's incredibly rare to date the same sex in high school, even today, even when you're out, and it's likely to stay like that until we're all out of there. So find a distraction and stop thinking about it (also, because being obsessed by wanting a relationship will attract the wrong kind of people).

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would not advise using dating apps under any circumstances.

First, they aren't dating apps... they are hookup apps. Don't expect to make friends or develop meaningful connections.

Second, you'll find about a million predatory older guys trying to get into your pants, and willing to say absolutely anything in order to get what they want. And the majority of the younger people on there are there for hookups only... which means, for the most part, they won't be able to sustain a healthy friendship or relationship.

Of course there are exceptions to the above, but on the whole, you'll find that assessment to be pretty accurate.

What I would suggest, depending on where you live in NC, is looking for LGBT groups, or activities where you might find gay guys. Meetup.com in most areas has a bunch of different meetup groups for gay men... things like hikes, movie nights, pool parties, and the like. If you're near a college, there's probably an LGBT group there and most are open to non-college students (though it's usually sort of on the down low.)

You'll do a lot better connecting with others that way than through the dating/hookup apps.

5. GayIsTheWay374

Okay. I will stay away from that then.