1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Class Notes

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by GayIsTheWay374, Jun 6, 2017.

1. GayIsTheWay374

This year I took notes and I realized that it took too long and way I did it ended up not gaining any/improving my knowledge of the subject any better.

So here is my plan for next year:
    I would quickly take notes in class and use some sort of shorthand method. Then, once I get home I would pull out my notes and quickly type them up on my computer, color code where it is needed, add additional information, and change the shorthand to normal words, and then print it. I think this would work because I would be writing the notes twice, once abbreviated and the other time the whole nine yards. Yanno? Doing this would take about 5 minutes for each subject.
    Does this sound good, or does anybody have any better suggestions?

Thanks!!! :icon_bigg:icon_bigg:icon_bigg

2. Haru

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sounds good to me.

To be honest, I didn't really take much notes when I was taking classes. I'm actually surprised I even made it through my program course. :confused:

3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I used an adaptation of that method. I write really fast when I'm in class. Abbreviations and comments and other things about the material, in really sloppy handwriting.

Then, I would input the notes into the computer, but rephrase them as I'm writing to make it clearer and more coherent. Then, finally, reorganize, and use as a study guide.

It worked very well, and from a psychological perspective, it is the rewriting in different words that actually stimulates retention. This requires the data be synthesized as it's being converted from handwritten to typed.

4. Humbly Me

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I always just take fast notes and review them in passing period before tests... But I'm also in highschool which is fairly easy for me.

College I'm sure doing as you described will be much more helpful.

5. GayIsTheWay374

Haha, okay.

Sounds great! Maybe I'll try it.

I get what you are saying, and I used to do that but it is no longer working for me.

6. I type my notes, which is easy because I type faster than I write, but I also do very abbreviated bullet lists when teachers don't allow technology.
    I don't recommend digital notes if you're easily distracted.

7. GayIsTheWay374

Okay. I want to do that in the first place but my school doesn't allow computers in class or phones for note taking because you could really not be doing your work.

8. beenthrdonetht

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yep I did what Chip did, except all longhand. Going over your first pass, and writing it out so it's clear to you, is a good way to learn. I have saved a lot of those notebooks.

And even consulted some notebooks when it came time to teach a course.

#8 beenthrdonetht, Jun 7, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
  9. idsm

I would suggest handwriting instead of typing. Studies have shown that our brains retain more information that way.
    Oh, and try to rewrite your notes the same day before you forget the material.