1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lesbians and Tampons

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by swimmingfly, Jun 6, 2017.

1. swimmingfly

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    okay so (i just realized i start all of my posts like that. sorry for the redundancy) anyway i'm a lesbian, right? right. and i have like this weird problem with using tampons when i'm on my period (also my periods are basically just brown mucus which doesn't really help my cause) maybe it feels too much like a dick sliding into my dms. i don't know. do any other lesbians have problems with this??? :help: :confused:

2. Assassin'sKat

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't mean to make you feel singled out and weird here, but personally, I do not have that problem. Tampons are not supposed to feel like anything.

Maybe the tampons you are using are too big? There are different sizes. Maybe a smaller one would work for you.
    If you always feel like that no matter what size you use, pads are an option.
    I wouldn't know, but if you have a bad history or something with that sort of thing, you could talk to a therapist. Or talk to one anyways if the problem is purely emotional.

I don't know, can you explain your problem a little more? What is the problem you are having?

3. butHitlerisDead

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Most lesbians don't have a problem with some sort of penetration (obviously not from a dick though). Even so, tampons don't really feel like that anyway since you insert them in such a nonsexual way, at least for me.

That said, the only thing that matters is how you personally feel about it, since you're the one using the tampon. I wouldn't worry about it and just use the pad if you're uncomfortable.

4. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You could try using a menstrual cup (such as the Diva cup). It collects the blood and you only need to put your fingers in about 0.5cm.

5. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't really use tampons for this reason. I always use pads, or birth control that removed my periods.

6. swimmingfly

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    i use birth control for acne and it has made my periods super light

7. Bouldghirl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Although I now use a menstrual cup I used tampons for many years without concern for the penetration bit. I think because it's such a routine thing it doesn't really have any sexual connotation. If you are really uncomfortable then maybe pads will suit you better.

8. enbybean

it takes a while to get used to. if you're not bleeding that much, i can understand feeling uncomfortable with having a tampon in for that reason. otherwise, it takes a few months to really get used to it.

i don't wear tampons because my flow is too heavy, it makes me feel stopped up, and bigger sizes don't help.

try other methods! you could also be sensitive to the materials used in tampons? cheaper ones can be much more abrasive. in this case, always is a good brand vs. a no name or inferior brand. also, kotex.

if you can afford it, natural tampons use unbleached cotton, etc. so a lot easier on your bits.

hope that helps!

9. swimmingfly

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks! i've had my period for almost 2 years and i have successfully used a tampon once despite being a competitive swimmer and a lifeguard

10. birobigenausex

Or don't imagine it like a dick. Imagine it's a tongue or fingers instead? Maybe, it's not the lesbian part but the asexual part of you that's bothered by it? Part of me is lesbian and I don't have a complete aversion to men's parts. They just do nothing for me, as they pump too hard and fast. But a tampon is different, 'cause it stays in one spot and actually feels good for me.

11. enbybean

yeaaaaaah, it'll take more times. it's a very foreign feeling and then eventually, you stop noticing it. tampons i'd imagine would be super helpful for swimming. :thumbsup:

12. AuroraBorealis

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I personally don't have this problem, I don't see tampons as sexual. It's not rare for lesbian sex to involve penetration even though its not from a penis.

13. lilin

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hmm, I don't have this issue (though I use a cup). Maybe try re-thinking this a little, if you want to use insertables (of course, if you don't care one way or the other, switching to pads is a quick and simple option).

Genitals have a lot of purposes. They aren't only for sex.

Society really jams it down our throat that everything about the female body is only for sex, and for use by men specifically. But that's not true at all.

I mean, vaginas have at least half a dozen purposes that I can think of off the top of my head, and only one of them is sexual. And even then, "sexual" doesn't have to involve a man. It doesn't even have to involve another human being at all.

Also, penetration isn't necessarily male, and isn't solely about the penis. I mean, lots of lesbians use fingers, other objects, etc. There's also self-sex. Men don't have a monopoly on penetration.

I think this is maybe an issue of internalizing the way society reduces the female body to being only for male sexual pleasure, and learning how to let go of those things it's tried to force on you.