1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My best gay friend is dating a guy 41 years younger

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Northern guy, Jun 6, 2017.

1. Northern guy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just seeking the opinions of others about a situation I'm feeling quite uncomfortable about. My best friend is (like myself) gay. We met online but there's only ever been friendship between us. He befriended me at a time when I was very down, after my partner died . Since then I've met someone else and I'm living with him. I'll never forget the kindness of my friend.
    Recently he has told me he is dating a 19 year old guy, my friend is 60. He has another friend who is in a similar age gap relationship , in fact they're married, which is a nightmare . The younger guy doesn't work, is constantly on apps to meet other guys , and playing games on his computer, it's a father son marriage.....
    I know not everyone is the same, but I feel this age gap is too great, I'm so worried my good friend will get hurt. I haven't met this young guy, so I know I'm jumping the gun but I need to be prepared. My friend is very set in his ways and I doubt he could accommodate anyone in his life never mind a 19 year old who hasn't started his life yet. At least this 19 year old is hard working from what I'm told.
    My partner has a son slightly older than 19, and he says he would be very unhappy with such a relationship.
    Any opinions will be gratefully received .

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    100% agree. This isn't to say there aren't a bunch of these "relationships" out there, but with a very high degree of confidence I can say this is grossly unhealthy for both.

Your friend is essentially "renting a friend". The younger guy is likely around for the money and being taken care of and nothing more. If that isn't the case, then he is almost certainly got severe emotional issues and is looking for a dad rather than a partner.

The second piece of that is... any 60 year old who is "dating" a 19 year old isn't remotely emotionally healthy either. Now... if he's just coming out and sort of experiencing a "second adolescence" then that's one thing. Still not healthy, but more understandable as a transient thing. If it's a pattern, or if he's been out for a while... it is just as creepy and uncomfortable for me as it is for you.

I'd have a really hard time keeping a friend who was in a relationship like this.

Pacack likes this.
  3. Humbly Me

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Agree. This seems really creepy. It will not work out for the older dude, and neither of them can be emotionally healthy in this relationship...

#3 Humbly Me, Jun 6, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2017
  4. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Totally agree that it's unhealthy. A 19 year old should not be dating someone much older than themselves and in this case the age gap is significant.

I don't know if there is an awful lot you can do. If your friendship is strong this might be a time for some frankness and honesty and if he asks for your opinion, I definitely think you should give it without reservation. Will he be up for listening though? I'm afraid some older guys get so invested in these sort of relationships that nothing will move them, so you may have to decide between walking away in protest or standing by as the cards fall with the offer of support when it happens.

5. Northern guy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for your input everyone.
    My friend has more or less always been out, he lived with a guy (a couple of years younger than himself) for quite a few years, and this was at a time when it wasn't an easy thing to do . They separated about 10 years ago. I've known him 5 years , he's a very kind and generous guy, I've never known him date anyone, but I know he's on certain apps and websites . Some other gay friends of his always joke about him liking younger guys , but this has quite taken me aback.
    I would never want to lose his friendship , likewise I doubt he'd want to lose mine, and I'm being honest with him by saying I'm not comfortable with the situation , and I don't want to see him hurt.
    I really don't want to meet this teenager , however hard working and genuine he's coming across to my friend. He's apparently quite different to the other lazy, attention seeking youngster who married the other friend (hope you're all keeping up ! ). But I still can't approve, and my own partner has said he doesn't want to entertain my friend and the teenager at our home , or to meet them elsewhere.
    In my heart I hope it all fizzles out soon. I think I can only offer support for when the fall out occurs. Hopefully I can still see my friend by himself, the 19year old lives a couple of hours away from here .
    Thanks again guys for your advice , I was thinking maybe it's me being a bit conservative about things.

---------- Post added 6th Jun 2017 at 04:53 PM ----------

PatrickUK, you asked if my friend would be up for taking advice. He will listen to me but do his own thing, he's a bit stubborn and not really up for acting on advice. Not from me anyway. He has a friend (part of a long term gay couple) who he thinks is the oracle on all matters though. I know this friend but not well enough to speak to, out of the blue. I don't even know if he's aware of the situation yet, but I know he doesn't approve of the other friends marriage to the 20 year old . So maybe some disapproval from there might help .

6. angeluscrzy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Wow......I find it disturbing enough when 20-somethings attempt to message me. I truly don't see the appeal. What possible commonalities can there really be with such an age difference......

7. Northern guy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Chip, I agree it's unhealthy for both people , my friend is not just coming out , and there doesn't seem to be a pattern , unless there are aspects of my friend I'm not aware of.... the teasing about liking younger guys concerns me . I thought maybe that referred to just a few years younger (my late partner was 5 years younger than me ).
    I'm just hoping this is a transient thing, my friend has always seemed such a decent and kind guy , we've joked together about guys we fancy, but I never had the impression he'd ever seriously date someone so very young .

---------- Post added 6th Jun 2017 at 05:15 PM ----------

Angeluscrzy, I was disturbed when a guy 12 years younger wanted to date me, I just wanted a friendship, he wanted more. I just couldn't understand why .
    My 60 year old friend and his teenage friend have a common interest in cars. I hope it's enough for them, then maybe the teenager can tolerate my friends habit of falling asleep after every meal and while watching tv.
    I'm trying to see the funny side , I have visions of my friend dusting off his white suit and his medallion to take his new friend to the disco . Hopefully one day soon I can tell him that, all in good fun of course !
    But for now it's disturbing.

8. GayIsTheWay374

That may seem weird, and I would admit that I had a dirty look reading this post. But I look at it as: Love is Love. If they really do care about each other then I think it's fine. That may get very complicated in a few years.

9. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wonder why this is so common in the gay community (and maybe it is common in the straight world as well, I just do not realize it). I know two separate couples where one is 24/62 and the other is 20/63 (I say know rather than say friends as we do not spend any time with either). It seems both of the older guys are doing it simply for companionship, and the younger guys are doing it to be taken care of.

I had initial concerns about the 16 year age gap between my husband whom is 30 and myself whom is 46, but these relationships are at an entirely different level.

I guess if you in your 60s and do not have sufficient self esteem and confidence, finding a young guy whom simply wants to be taken care of is quite an easy route to follow. For the young guy whom is only interested in a sugar daddy (not to say they all are), what does he have to lose except some self respect.

10. CameOutSwinging

Even I think this is way too much of an age gap for actual dating purposes. But I suppose as long as everybody is of legal age, then it is their life to live.

11. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have a 19 year old friend who's in a relationship with a 36 year old (I think that's his age? I know he's in his 30s).

I'm worried as well because this is not an equal relationship at all. His boyfriend pays all the bills and if he breaks up with him, he's basically screwed. His boyfriend is also a teacher. Another power imbalance there.

Honestly, there's nothing you or I can do about it except support them when it ends up blowing up in their faces.

12. Jax12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm a hypocrite for saying that age gap relationships don't work because I've been there. I've dated guys much older than I and it just didn't work because we were at different points in our lives. They've got a car, a career, their own place to stay, and I have none of that.

Quite frankly, it's something I still struggle with for unknown reasons. I still find older guys attractive, it's just that now I know the probably of it working out in the long run is slim to none (especially the larger the age gap).

Try to convince him the best you can, but if that's how he wants it live his life than that's just how it is.

13. kodiakruble

They are two different generations. I don't think that will work out and someone will get hurt.

14. Northern guy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks everyone, for your input. It seems I can only support my friend, and most of you feel the age difference is way too great to work. The teenager is working , but still lives at home , is not out to anyone , and has never had a gay relationship. He's got a lot of exploring to do , lots of things to come to terms with , without devoting himself entirely to a relationship with a massive age gap . My friend seems to think he can help the teenager come to terms with his life ...... I'm not so sure .

15. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm not sure there is much you can do :/ He's legally an adult, and folk who go for much older or younger have their own issues to deal with. I guess its one of those things you have to hope teaches both parties a lesson. Do let us know how it goes?

16. Northern guy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've spoken to my friend, said I'm not comfortable with the situation but told him I wouldn't be a friend if I lied and pretended I was fine with it. I'm afraid he'll get hurt, and I'll always stand by him , assuming he wants me to, and I'd never be a "told you so" kind of friend.
    I guess I'm afraid of losing a friend too, I'd find it difficult to meet up with my friend and his teenage date , and my partner would just not agree to meet up (he has children of a similar age and finds the situation alarming).
    Difficult situation , and I'm grateful to you all for your advice.

17. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If you speak with honesty about your concerns, your friend should hopefully take that into consideration. He should know from past experience that you're not trying to be spiteful. Ultimately, let the ball be in his court. Friendships should be about common values.

18. Northern guy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi resu, and thanks. When you say friendships should be about common values, do you mean we should just concentrate on the values we share? I'm worried it could be difficult being around a 60 year old and a 19 year old , I'm uncomfortable at the thought. Or am I over reacting?
    I hope my friend wouldn't think I'm being spiteful, he should know I'm not like that. I'm bracing myself for him to move on though, he has other friends such as the 61 year old who has married a 19/20 year old guy.

19. Northern guy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    By way of an update..... I am just back from a short walking holiday with my 60 years old friend. We have done this trip every year for a few years , and planned it ages ago. It was an opportunity to chat, and my friend knows my concerns about his friendship with the 19 year old. My friend has actually only met this teenager in person once, for 2 days, so it's hardly a committed relationship ..... they live 2 hours apart , at least.
    They don't speak in person, or face time , or Skype, because the teenager lives with his parents and he's not "out".
    The texting was constant, starting before 6 am each day and going on until midnight or whenever my friend fell asleep. We were sharing a room and I had to ask him to put the phone on silent, including the keyboard clicks, so I could sleep. The more I hear about this teenage boy the more concerned I get, not out, no real friends, very lonely, this is his first gay friendship . My friend is also lonely, and I can understand how he feels, I've been there. But this isn't the answer.
    I'm invited to meet this teenager ...... he's visiting this weekend for just the second time, but I'm busy. I'm glad too, as I still feel uncomfortable. So many of my friends other friends are saying what he wants to hear , that it's fine and he's lucky to have a young friend. I'm afraid I still find it inappropriate ..... this young innocent needs to find his way towards coming out, and meeting other gay guys of a similar age , to develop, gain confidence, feel what it's like to be in love etc........ not to seriously "date" and commit to a relationship with a guy 41 years older. Friendship maybe, but a sexual relationship, no way.
    Just my feelings though .

20. Northern guy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ps I didn't make it clear, above, my friend is hoping for a long term, committed relationship with this 19 year old , and while I didn't ask outright, I'm sure sex was involved on their first meeting .