1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Demiromantic?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Brisexual, Jun 5, 2017.

1. Brisexual

Hello,
    I'm confused about demiromanticism. Mostly whether it fits me. I think it's the "emotional" part of the definition that I am unsure of.
    I can find it very easy to form a sexual attraction, and have sex with that person. However it doesn't mean anything beyond sex. I have been "in love" kind of, once (my husband of 7 years), but even that is rather detached. We have had periods where we have an open relationship and seek out separate sexual relationships.
    I would honestly rather just have a few close friends, and then separate friends whom I maintain sexual relationships with.
    I am incapable of being "in love" with someone if I have not had sex with them, and formed an emotional connection from there.

I don't know if any of that made sense. Does it sound like demiromantisism?

Thank you :slight_smile:

2. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, I believe it does, as long as you are sure you can experience romantic attraction in general.

3. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A lot of these labels are just too complicated. By these definitions I'd be a demiromantic demisexual, but that does not say anything about my sexuality or what genders I like.

It might be just easier to say you prefer casual relationships. If something comes out from it fine, and if it doesn't, fine. But for you, it needs to start casually. That's a preference.

4. Brisexual

Hi, thanks for the reply. I am bisexual, I am aware of that. I'm more concerned if there are others, or a sect of people that also have difficulty, or an inability to form romantic relationships, while still maintaining active sex lives.
    It doesn't need a label, but I find a label would be helpful to me.

5. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Isn't demiromantism about not being romantically attracted until you have an emotional connection, though?

I don't think the original definition has to do with casual sex, since many demiromantics (by definition) can be against the idea of casual sex.

Technically you still can be since you seem half romantic and half aromantic, which would be the definition. But it wouldn't be linked to your personal sex life.

#5 Creativemind, Jun 5, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2017
  6. skittlz

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    seems like it

7. YinYang

Yeah, you sound demiromantic to me. You could use the term demi-biromantic (a mix of demiromantic and biromantic) to specify your romantic attraction further, but you don't have to if you dont want to.

8. Brisexual

Thank you all. I appreciate the input. :icon_wink