1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Terror Attack in London

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by KyleD, Jun 3, 2017.

1. KyleD

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
  2. Reciprocal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is ridiculous. So soon after Manchester as well. Clearly something needs to be done to stop Islamist violence, but what?

3. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well the problem is (some) people think if you're against Islamic violence you're somehow against all Muslims. There are 23,000 known Jihadists who are on the radar, but the government won't deport the in fear of being called racist (even though Islam isn't a race). And besides, there's nothing to stop them from coming back or just bombing another country.

May I take this time to point out that Middle Eastern countries are being bombed but very rarely reported (which might be due to me being in the UK or media manipulation). There was one yesterday. I forget the country, sorry.

4. JackAttack

JackAttack Guest

Im so angry right now. Such a cowardly attack on innocent people and for what? To do it in the name of some made up god?

Anyone on this terror watch list should be locked up and deported. Better to risk offending the few then having innocent people hurt like they were last night. Trumps travel ban doesn't seem so bad now but oh wait thats to offensive to say! The government seem to scared of offending people then protecting people.

5. aussielefty

I cant understand, how any one can do this.. not again.

Hugs to all from this site that live in the UK..

been there many times.. stay safe.. :icon_sad::icon_sad:

6. SillyGoose

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    So soon after Manchester, I'd assume there would be more police. I guess all the fuss had quieted when they chose to attack

---------- Post added 4th Jun 2017 at 11:15 AM ----------

Deporting people won't help because lots of extremists are born in the country and don't move there. Also, rejecting an entire religion especially one of Islam's size is a sizeable cut to tourism, motivates more people to become extremists and also is a huge violation of freedom of religion just because of a very small minority of people in a religion that teaches Muslims to be non-violent

7. Jellal

Tourism? It seems to me that the *current conditions* might cause just a few drawbacks for tourists. And the idea of valuing tourism more than keeping citizens alive seems wrong.

Also if a Muslim is motivated to go on a killing spree because people want countermeasures to avoid being killed by him, then the people were correct to want those countermeasures.

You're right about it being a minority of actual practicing terrorists. But that does not change the reality of the demographics that continually commits these attacks, or cut back on the frequency of these attacks in any way. That minority will keep killing innocents.

I agree that discrimination against Islam is a violation of freedom of religion. I think this is a case however, where we should keep our ideals in check for the simple reason of survival. Discrimination is ugly, but directly causing death is the ugliest of all and must be avoided.

8. HerRainbow

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    This is just so sad to hear. Particularly in the last 2 years, I think extremists have been stepping up violance in the U.K and it's very unsettling. This attack has taken place just before Ariana's benefit concert and not too long away from voting day.

It just seems like nowhere is safe now!

9. JackAttack

JackAttack Guest

If we cant deport them then imprison them for public protection. The UK government has a watch list of potential threats and the murderer for the Manchester bombings came from Libya and was apparently on this list. I agree, not all Muslims are bad but all these terrorists identify themselves as Muslim. We must do what we have to do to protect the majority. There are too many politicians trying hard not to offend people. Forget about freedom of religion, what about freedom in general or feeling safe in within your own country.

#9 JackAttack, Jun 4, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2017
  10. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You know, muslims are muslims, so many of them are open about it (just like Christians, for example). But terrorists don't usually wave flags around and say: "Hey, look at me, i'm a terrorist about to attack someone!". So, while imprisioning "potential threats" could be seen as an easy solution, it is not. Chances are that you will end up arresting a huge number of innocents while terrorists are simply hiding.

In politics, beware of "easy solutions". Society isn't simple, the human mind is not simple. It isn't about "oh, the SJWs are protecting the terrorists while people are dying! We just need to lock them up, it is so simple!". It would be great if things were so simple, but, unfortunately, the situation is much more complex. Sacrificing the freedom of innocents in the name of freedom isn't a good solution (and, again, terrorists are not that stupid, they would simply hide).

Anyway, it is extremely sad that these attacks keep happening, like others said, in the name of a "god" or in the name of "peace". Ridiculous.

11. Libertino

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The UK police have just arrested 12 people in raids connected with this attack. This demonstrates that these attackers are not just "depressed lone wolves" who act on their own. They have networks of support, they have a syndicate of ideological sympathizers. Most of the people arrested were probably already on a terrorism watch, and many of them were probably second-generation immigrants, meaning that they can't simply be deported and why Trump's tweets about the travel ban are largely irrelevant. These terrorists are almost always a home-grown issue.

12. JackAttack

JackAttack Guest

Just been watching the Manchester attacks memorial concert tonight on the tv and its so emotional. Some good artists went to play, very respectful thing to do. Massive amount of credit and respect to Ariana Grande and all those who went to watch her and the other acts, huge show of defiance and courage.

#12 JackAttack, Jun 4, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2017
  13. Twisted777

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
  14. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not sure if you're suggesting summarily imprisoning or deporting all on the terror watch list or all Muslims.

Either way, you're suggesting the most radical rejection of rights in Britain's democratic history. Creating a policy of summarily imprisoning a certain demographic erodes the norms about the police and justice system that keep you safe.

Islamic terror in Britain does not kill enough people even to begin considering abolishing the rule of law. That isn't an acceptable tradeoff. Yes, Britain should continue or adopt sophisticated criminal and social programmes to address terror, including security-based extensions of prison sentences and enhanced surveillance powers, but what it cannot do is simply reject the entire foundation of British liberty and political life in order to deal with what kills fewer people than car crashes or suicide.

15. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    When will it end?

16. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree that it's horrible and terrible, but we must avoid reactionary responses that will inflame tensions and foster more extremism and hatred at home and abroad. Legitimate arguments can be made about resourcing for police, intelligence and security services and it may be necessary to look again at legislation after the election, but this isn't a time for being hot headed.

We also need to understand that extremism and terrorism isn't isolated to one group or religion. In the UK, we should remember that the IRA, INLA, UVF and UDA waged a campaign of terror within Northern Ireland and on the UK mainland, along sectarian lines. We should all be very concerned that power sharing in that part of our country has collapsed, raising the spectre of more violence between Protestants and Catholics.

In many ways, the best response to terrorism is to get on with life as best we can and starve the perpetrators of the oxygen of publicity. Flying off the handle and reacting in an over zealous manner is precisely what these people are looking for.

17. anthracite

anthracite Guest

In the name of germans I apologize that all my country does is to send copy&paste condolence. We need to stand united, this is what we're allied for. USA, germany, france, UK and even Russia says we should stand together against terrorism. So let's do it and kick some ass, what do we have tanks for?

18. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Bullets, bombs and tanks can't defeat an ideology. There is no physical thing to "attack" when the actions of a few are nothing more than the thoughts in their head.

You also can not legislate away: ideology. You can pass all the laws you want, but there simply will always be people who hold an ideology that is different and they will harm others in it's name.

To snuff out an ideology, you have to mock it, ridicule it, shame it and call it out at every available opportunity until no one holds onto it. In this case, the billion plus Muslims who do not condone the extremist's actions, have to publicly and constantly ridicule, humiliate and point out everyone who holds the more extreme beliefs. Even if it means turning in their own family members to the authorities.

However another group will just take its place. There are simple too many humans on this little mud ball, for us all to get along.

19. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Why do I get the feeling this is another false flag pushed by the elites to scare the population into accepting future legislation, wars, etc.

20. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    With all respect I can muster, I just have to say that this is an utterly insane statement to make.