1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I Like Girls, Send Help.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by biviolinist, Jun 1, 2017.

1. biviolinist

After years of trying to hide from my sexual orientation, I have come to terms with my bisexuality. I'm equally attracted to males and females. My mom, thought the nicest, bleeding-heart liberal you will ever meet, is weird about this whole topic. She has expressed things about queer women being all "mean butches who can't get men". She also says that bisexuality is just a phase and girls who say they are bi, just haven't met the right guy. I have attempted to come out to her and she now constantly asks me if she did something wrong while raising me and blames the fact that I live in a small town in why I like girls as well. She thinks I'm going meet a nice boy and forgot all about my "little" bi "phase". I'm just trying to not get pissed and I need to know I'm not crazy.

#1 biviolinist, Jun 1, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2017
  2. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey you are absolutely not crazy. Have you tried looking on the PFLAG website. I think there is some information on there that maybe you can give your mum. Maybe reading that in her own time will help her understand.

3. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey biviolinist,

I agree with silverhalo. You are definitely not crazy and you mom probably just needs to be educated about bisexuality.

Perhaps you can download and print the Our Children pamphlet for her from the PFLAG site. Additionally, you might check the PFLAG site to see where the nearest chapter is located. They normally host support groups for parents of LGBTQ members. Maybe your mom would be willing/interested in attending something like that.

Additionally, perhaps you could point her to bisexuality resources on the web to help her better understand your sexuality, such as:

The Bisexual Index | What is Bisexuality?

https://bisexual.org/

Finally, only you truly know your own sexuality. You just have to be consistent and insistent about your bisexuality whenever the subject comes up. Your mom may be going through the five stage of grief (denial-anger -bargaining - depression - acceptance) as she comes to terms with the fact that you are not straight.

My 2cents.:slight_smile:

4. BostonStranger

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sadly even the most progressive people have some degree of internalised biphobia. A lot of us try to hide our bisexuality to avoid insulting remarks and questions, but ultimately it won't make you happier. I've recently started to express my sexuality and face biphobia head on. It's not always easy, but I feel a lot better now :slight_smile: