1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any old souls out there?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by BothWaysSecret, May 31, 2017.

1. BothWaysSecret

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have always considered myself an old soul, despite many of my habits and activities suggesting otherwise. While I am definitely modern in many aspects of my personality and thinking, here are all the things I do that I think make me and old soul:

-I constantly miss how things were "back in my day" which was anywhere from the late 90's to about end of high school (2012)
    -I have, on numerous occasions, scolded my dad for blasting his music in the car. Most of the time it comes out something like this: "Would you turn that racket down??? I don't want to go deaf."
    -I prefer to stay at home, in my pjs, rather than go out and party.
    -I never saw the point of partying or excessive drinking, especially underage drinking (because of this, I did not have a drop of alcohol until my 21st birthday)
    -I also never understood recreational drug use
    -I refer to anyone under 30 years old as "kids", "darn kids" or "youngin's"
    -I have the worst memory of anyone I know, and either have to write stuff down or set reminders for myself on my phone. I'm lucky if I can even remember what I had for lunch yesterday
    -I prefer reading to technology
    -I also despise e-readers and prefer physical copies of books
    -While I have embraced some forms of technology, I simply do not understand or see a need for others.
    -I prefer watching shows and movies on an actual television to Netflix, Hulu, etc.
    -I really don't like staying up past 12:30 am, except on New Years Eve.
    -I really wish manners would come back in style, because modern people are usually rude.
    -I prefer some socializing and dating practices of older times (1950's- 2000's), but not everything, as some of it is seriously outdated.
    -I can't stand people who aren't genuine, sneaky, or only care about you if they think you can be useful to them. Whatever happened to genuine, honest, friendship and loyalty?
    -I value relationships and want a true one with everyone I meet. None of this shallow 'pretend to be friends but we're not' stuff.
    -I still prefer my old digital camera and camcorder to filming everything on my phone.
    -I have found it easier to socialize with and befriend people who are way older than me. Most of the kids these days are confusing.
    -I can find enjoyment in the smallest of things. In fact, people-watching is one of my favorite things to do.
    -While I enjoy socializing, I also find bliss in being alone.
    -I was an odd child with few friends. I also feel a slight disconnect with my generation.

Anyone else have similar views or do stuff that makes you feel disconnected from today's world?

Oh, and one more thing: GET OFF MY LAWN!!! :grin:

#1 BothWaysSecret, May 31, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2017
  2. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My mom says I was born 45 years old. That makes me 67 today.

3. Justinian20

I have some elements of myself which are quite old school but I'm definitely a combination of a modern person and an old soul.

My old soul comes from not wanting to rely too much on technology and liking to go to cinemas and buy DVDs.

My modern self comes from the fact I do actually like the technology, I just don't want to rely on it.

4. Lazuri

My friends call me pretentious often, because I enjoy things that older people generally care for and I enthuse about it a lot.

5. BostonStranger

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Peeps used to call me an old soul and I guess they were right at the time, but now I'm an extroverted hipster rebel :eusa_danc

6. Lazuri

Well, hipsters are just young people trying too hard to be old souls.

7. BostonStranger

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Maybe people just gave me that label because it's a thing now. I really did like all of that stuff before it was considered cool :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

8. Ronintroy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Bothwayssecret from someone who is definitely a old soul, both in this life, and past ones. The ideas, thought patterns you describe, when compared to your stated age. Makes me wonder if you are not feeling patterns that were left over patterns from a previous life time. ... Just a thought.

9. Lazuri

Let's not look for proof of completely scientifically unproven theories in something as simple as human behaviour. People develop preferences as they live; it's that simple.

10. BothWaysSecret

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    This is also me. Especially the DVDs part. I have never owned a Blu-Ray player, and I don't see the point.

11. Lazuri

Higher resolution and sound quality. A blu-ray disc can store a lot more data on it, so the audio and picture is not as compressed.

12. BothWaysSecret

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Ah. I didn't know that. Thank you!

13. Libertino

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm not sure I entirely understand the concept, as the criteria seems to differ from person to person. Is it defined by an aversion to trendy technology? An unexpected level of maturity? A fascination with the past? Introversion? I don't know that older people are necessarily more likely to be introverted.

I'll admit I tend to roll my eyes whenever a young person proclaims to have been "born in the wrong generation"; I hardly consider condemning one's own generation as socially inferior something to be proud of, especially on the basis of musical trends or social media. But I see nothing wrong with taking an interest in the past. There's a difference between an ability to recognize what is worth emulating about the past and seeing the past as some rosy magical time that we must return to in order to achieve societal bliss.

I also see nothing wrong with being a "hipster" if that is who you truly are (though I must admit it's amusing that there should be some kind of contention between the labels "old soul" and "hipster". To me they seem hardly different, especially in the way they are used. They're both ways in which young people try to separate themselves from the herd).

Am I an old soul because all my favorite authors are long dead? Because I listen to classical music? Because I enjoy collecting vinyl? Because I have friends who are professors twenty or thirty years my senior? There are some things about me that are positively ancient, and others that are undeniably millennial: I love collecting the latest Apple gadgets, I wear clothing that may be too juvenile for even a 25-year-old (I have yet to grow out of skinny jeans and hoodies), and I enjoy the occasional bout of partying and drinking as much as my former frat-boy friends.

I say take pride in your diversified interests, never care how unpopular or "uncool" they may be perceived as, but don't alienate yourself from, or come to hate, your own generation. We have much to offer :slight_smile:

14. BothWaysSecret

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I never said I hated my generation, just that there are times where I feel a disconnect. I definitely love stuff about today, I just have moments where I don't.

15. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Oh yes I'm definetly older than my age.

16. Justinian20

I have a blu ray player though it's just you can play DVDs on a blu ray player and I think that should always be an option.

17. Libertino

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I understand. That was not directed at you per se, but at anyone who may feel animosity toward their own generation. There are things about my generation that I can't understand, viz. the addiction to social media. Even my best friend seems addicted to it, constantly posting on Snapchat and Instagram just in the course of a mundane "hangout" with me. It boggles the mind. Thankfully when he and I went for a hike in an area without cell service, he was able to act like a normal human being again.

18. Sepina

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think this would make me an old soul, but I love listening to Nina Simone

[YOUTUBE]WRmzQ39sXTQ[/YOUTUBE]

19. Harve

I've been on this site for 8 years, which is a bit disgusting. But I'm still feeling young: last weekend was a sleepless drink and drug binge that I wouldn't have been able to manage when I was 18-19. Most others normally get less capable as they age.

20. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I used to feel this way. I grew out of it...