1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I am bisexual, but with some technicalities. (Want opinions pls)

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by satansaunt, May 31, 2017.

1. satansaunt

Hello, Im female and I've always been attracted to both men and women for as long as I can remember. Thing is, the term bisexual (an identity I've chosen) is often defined as attraction to both men and women, while pansexual is attraction to trans, non-binaries, etc.

my point being, i feel like limiting bisexuality to only the two sexes isn't exactly the truth in its entirety, it can be more inclusive than that. I dont limit my love to gender yet I don't feel like pansexual isn't the correct label for me, Am I just pansexual or am I allowed to be bisexual with a more inclusive definition?

also, I've been dating a guy for a while and just recently told him i was bisexual, he took the news with no judgement and his masculinity isn't fragile so he isn't threatened by my sexuality, but how can I tell him that I eventually want a type of open relationship?

2. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think the bisexuality = two genders thing is silly. I have never met any bisexual who said they wouldn't date a transgender/NB person, and I can't help but think that those who do are simply transphobic—after all, you're sexually attracted to men and women, why does it matter what others have in their pants, then? It doesn't make sense.

The term pansexual, as I've always seen it, is a label that tells transgender/nb people that you are aware of their existence. I would say pansexuality is the same thing as bisexuality. If you are hung up on the semantics, you could simply think of it as being attracted to both binary and non-binary people, or any variation of that sort.

But, of course, that's only my opinion, and I understand others will have conflicting definitions and/or beliefs.

As for your boyfriend, there is no way to go around it. Tell him it's important and find a quiet time when you're both relaxed and ready to have such a conversation, then just talk to him about it.

3. BrookeVL

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's really all semantics to me. Bisexual doesn't have to be as limiting as some seem to think, just like pansexual isn't necessarily as inclusive as some think.

4. WeDreamOfPeace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, always felt like pansexuality is just a way of saying to NB/Trans people "I will date you, and recognize your existence". But seriously though, being bi means you like both sexes. PHYSICAL sexes. Not genders.

Not sure what to say about the whole open relationship thing. I personally have very little sexual lust and more the "rose in my teeth flowers in my hand" kind of girl, but I think just hinting around the subject at first might be a good idea.

Peace hope world domination kittens and awesomeness.

5. randomconnorcon

Bisexual and pansexual can be separate labels, but they can also be intertwined, with people thinking the latter is more open than the former. But bi simply means two, if you are bisexual you like two genders (or more, if you use the two labels to mean the same and just prefer one over the other, as some do). Being bi doesn't mean you can't or don't like trans or non-binary people, despite what some people may think, which could be because of the attraction to physical sex as said above.

#5 randomconnorcon, May 31, 2017
    Last edited: May 31, 2017
  6. Zoe Izumi

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'd say you should be upfront and honest about the open relationship thing because I know some people can't handle that kind of relationship for emotional reasons.

7. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thing is, there are also more than two sexes:

What is intersex? | Intersex Society of North America

So the definition is still pretty complicated, even when you look at the technicalities. Or, I'd think so, anyway. I don't think there's really anything wrong with using "bisexual" to mean different things, however, as long as you realize it could mean something else to someone else.

Since I forgot to clarify in my last post: OP, bottom line: if you feel "bisexual" is a better term for you, use it. Even if you don't fit the definition 100%. I mean, if we all had to bow down to such a strict rule, I'd be in trouble too. Lol.

8. TeamRavenclaw14

Hi, brand new here.

Like you, I assumed I was just bisexual, but it still didn't feel...RIGHT. Especially after I developed a crush on a trans woman. That's when I started doing more research and came across the "pansexual" term.

My question is this: does the term "Pansexual" get scoffed at in the LGBT community as much as it does in the straight/cis world?

Also, like the OP, I am out to my cis-male, straight fiancé. He is aware that I also have crushes on others. I also would like an open relationship.

Let us know what happens when you speak to your boyfriend :slight_smile: