1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How did you start your transition?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Ozma, May 30, 2017.

1. Ozma

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    How did you start to transition? I would love to hear everyone's story.

2. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    16: I came out online first, and kept it that wait for about three years for my safety. Outside my safe havens like here, I kept my trans identity to myself and a trusted circle of friends.

19: I ended up having a suicidal meltdown rooted in me being in the closet, which blew the doors open for me to come out. While I had a hell of a time with the adjustment period, I was mostly met with acceptance and no real problems. This period for a good year or so was a pain in the ass for me, especially with my hospitalizations and being through the ringer with doctors.

21: I believe it was here that I found my first stable job where I was able to be myself without having to deal with being in the closet. Granted I passed 8/10 times, it was a pretty great experience until the end when my dysphoria caused me to have a panic attack that resulted in me quitting. For reference, I worked as an actor for a local haunt and I left to avoid potentially getting us bad ratings, especially by our rivals.

During this time I was working with a therapist who helped me get my shit together, and got me in touch with the Mazzoni Center who helped me get my transition off the ground. About three months after my last night of my season, I had my first intake appointment and I was back five weeks later to start T.

Now: I'm approaching my 2.5 year on T mark, and I should be in the process of getting my name and gender marker change taken care of before the summer is out--fingers crossed. At this point, I never get misgendered and at the very least, I get read as a 15 year old boy. It could be way, way worse though. I'm still holding out to have just one big voice drop before next year, though I know of guys who have voices that are higher or more "delicate" than mine, and just own it.

3. newts

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I came out to my parents at 15, had to stay in the closet for a while though. Socially transitioned last year, been on T for about 2 months now.

4. randomconnorcon

I was confused and depressed for a long time, especially from age 12. I figured out some of why around 19, but I didn't come out to friends until I was sure at 21 and told family at 22. Since then, I've been trying to get on T. I finally feel like I'm almost there, so I'm still confused and depressed, is they're just mostly directed at other things.

5. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I had gender issues throughout adolescence, but only began to understand I may have been transgender at around fifteen and sixteen.

At sixteen I came out to a teacher and one class at my online school. The information was contained and I got to be a part of the GSA, albeit briefly, during my senior year.

In May 2015 I came out to my oldest brother, I would have been seventeen then. He had a mixed reaction but now supports me.

In January 2016 I came out to my parents, again I was seventeen. It was a very painful experience as I was completely and wholly rejected. I was promptly put in therapy to "deal with" my issues, and was subsequently diagnosed with clinical depression.

Between the ages of 16-17 I self harmed and went through really deep depression. But in the past year really I have made significant progress both mentally and physically in regards to my health. I respect myself much more and have a clear vision of my future. After two years of hellish struggle, I now have a stable job and will be attending university this fall. That is when I will make my social and medical transition, as I have already spoken to school staff and have a reservation in gender inclusive housing.

6. bbydelrey

I had been experiencing bulimia since I was 12 or so, and right after I lost my father, it was at it's worse. I had to go to therapy for that as well as inpatient, and I remember seeing a poster on Gender Identity on the wall. I took a look, and it all instantly made sense!

I never fit in with the males my whole childhood. Most of my friends were female, and I've subconsciously referred to myself as female for all I can remember.

I talked to my therapist about it and them came out to my mom (who subsequently helped me come out to the rest of my family). She took care of the appointments with therapists and doctors, and one thing lead to another.

Quite boring I'm afraid because I'm not finished.

#6 bbydelrey, May 31, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2017
  7. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I came out as being non-binary first. I did this at the end of my freshman year of college. I had just started binding and really playing around with my gender. I identified as non-binary throughout most of my sophomore year of college. At the end of my sophomore year, I began to realize that I tended to lean more masculine. I asked people to use male pronouns for me at this point. I was not fully ready to identify as a trans male at this point. I also started to look at names during this time. I came out as FTM transgender in the summer between my sophomore and junior years of college. I emailed my community leader, since I still lived in the dorms at this point. I then forgot to log out of my email, so my mom saw it.. She was accepting, it was just awkward because 5 minutes later I had to leave for work. I went back to college my junior year as Brad. I got my letter for hormones and my gender change later on that year, and I had my name legally changed the next year.