1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I guess it's not a big deal to anyone else, is it?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by LostInDaydreams, May 29, 2017.

1. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Or at least, most other people?

For context, I'm in a long-term relationship with a man. I'm thinking that, if the opportunities arises, I might come out to some friends who have no connection to my partner. It's more for me really, to build confidence, make a step forward, etc. I'm not really getting anywhere at the moment with acceptance, so feel some sort of action might help.

But, in all honesty, it's not going to be a big deal to them, is it? So, I don't want to make a thing of it, but it is a big deal to me, and I will still be a heterosexual relationship. So, not really sure whether to go for it, and if I do go for it, how to go about it.

Any thoughts?

If it makes a difference, these are friends that knew me before I met my current partner. So, they have known me single, etc.

2. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Assuming they are LGBT friendly then I am sure it won't be a big deal to them and I think that coming out to some people and building a support network can only be a positive thing for you :slight_smile:

3. polecat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    LostInDaydreams , first off I want to say hello .
    In my opinion if they are your true friends then they will not really care they will be happy for you,be supportive and want to see you happy . I say go for it when you are ready to do it not because someone else says to do it . I bet you will feel a lot better once you are able to finally admit to your self that this is how you are and that is great ! You are a strong woman and you can do it !
    Sorry if I was a little to personal . Have a great day .

4. I'm gay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have had the experience over the last year of coming out in person to well over 50 people. After my family and closest friends, of course, it was only a big deal to a few. Most people said all the appropriate things but it was obviously much more of a big deal to me than it was to them. I was also surprised how word didn't spread nearly as much as I thought it would. It's just not important to most people anymore.

The simplest and easiest method is to just tell them, in whatever way works for you. You don't need to build it up. Early on I was so serious when I began to tell them that they feared I was sick or something until I finally got it out.

Deep breaths. You got this. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride:

5. Kronux

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yep, I think it doesn't "matter" to a lot of people. That doesn't mean that they wouldn't care or something, but I've made the experience, that most people would treat me indiffernetly and wouldn't bring up the subject, unless I do so. Don't be afraid, if they are real friends, no one is going to eat you :wink: