1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shaving legs

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by hayden373, May 28, 2017.

1. hayden373

Yeah, so I've been shaving my legs for a few weeks now, but I still got little red dots all over the place and I absolutely hate it.
    I've been googling for hours trying to figure out how to get smooth legs, but it just doesn't work. So at this point I'm just gathering every bit of advice I can get; I just want to be able to wear hotpants without any kind of pantyhose.
    Please, anyone who has ever shaved his legs, I'd be glad for any kind of advice.

2. EverDeer

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well for one, if you're just shaving with soap and not shaving cream, sometimes this can cause irritation, or if the shaving cream you're using is heavily scented. Body wash is better than soap, but usually shaving cream is even better, and I try to buy generic shaving cream with fewer ingredients labeled as gentle or for sensitive skin, and honestly most men's products in general are far too harsh for my skin and give me rashes no matter what they are. If your legs feel itchy, dry, tight, or rough afterwards then you're probably using the wrong type of soap/cream for your skin type, afterwards they should feel smooth and comfortable, not irritated. If you find that your skin reacts to no matter what you use on it, I would suggest getting an unscented and gentle lotion to put on afterwards, preferably something with aloe in it, as this is good for irritation and inflammation. Also, a dull razor never helps either, don't use one for more than a couple weeks, and you can press harder than you think you need to to get a clean shave, so long as it's at the right angle that it shouldn't scrape your skin, just gliding up easily. Hope this helps.

3. Zoneingout

4. AlexJames

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    This used to happen to me. I mean i'm a girl but i have sensitive skin. Anyways, i use bic soleil razors (they come in packs of 3-5) and skinmate shaving cream, they're expensive but i haven't had an issue with irritation at all while using them. Try a few different brands and see what works best. My best bet is you either aren't using shaving cream or you're using either a harsh or a very watered down brand.

#4 AlexJames, May 28, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2017
  5. YinYang

Back when I used to shave, I used Veet. It's a hair removal cream that kept my legs smooth and I like doing it because there was no risk of cutting myself while shaving. Nair also works, but I've heard it smells worse than Veet. Anything similar should work, but be careful because some people have bad reactions to hair removal creams.

6. Julie12345

Hi Hayden.

I can sympathize. I’m susceptible to razor burn too, except I tend to get it on my chest and abdomen if I don’t follow a strict shaving regime. I shave my entire body every week except for my pubic area and to do it right can take me an hour and a half.

First, if you are going more than a couple of days without shaving, I would start by using clippers on your legs. This will get the hair as short as possible to make it easier for the razor to do its job. Next, you should shave in the shower. Get into a hot shower and go through your normal bathing routine first. This will give your skin time under the hot water and make shaving easier on your skin. Next, make sure you use a good quality shaving cream and a good quality razor with multiple blades (e.g. Mach 3 by Gillette). Stay away from those cheap disposable razors and make sure you don’t overuse your razor as this will make it dull and cause more irritation. When you begin to shave, lather up and first shave in the direction of your hair (most likely downward since it’s leg hair). After that, shave against the grain. Shave gently and don’t press too hard with the razor.

After you get out of the shower, pat your skin dry with a towel – don’t try to rub it dry as this will just cause irritation. Finally, after you’re dry, moisturize your legs with a good quality moisturizer. You should moisturize every time you shave and even for a day or two after if you don’t shave every day.

That’s my routine and it works for me with very minimal irritation. If I try to cut any corners, however, I will breakout like crazy and it looks gross. Looking beautiful isn’t easy lol. Hope this helps.

7. StormyVale

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't shave that often currently... however, I found if you don't have shaving cream that hair conditioner that is somewhat thick in texture can work well ... also important to use multi blade razors ... Good luck!