1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Phobia of Driving

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by KyleD, May 23, 2017.

1. KyleD

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Does anyone else have a phobia of driving? I am always fascinated by people who are able to drive without any fear at all. I experience panic attacks every time I am behind the wheel. Anytime I am in the car I just feel the urge to get out and just leave it to escape the situation. After a while the panic attacks go away but every single time I drive I experience a panic attack. So say I go out in my car 5 times for the day I experience 5 panic attacks. If I go out 10 times a day I experience 10 panic attacks. It is frustrating.

#1 KyleD, May 23, 2017
    Last edited: May 23, 2017
  2. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I never feel completely at ease while driving, but wouldn't say I have any attacks. Is there something specifically that triggers them?

3. KyleD

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I have a lot of triggers. Just thinking about driving causes panic attacks and the first few minutes in a car will cause a panic attack. Other triggers include being stuck in traffic, at stoplights, driving on unknown streets and even parking. It is a nightmare but after I get out of the car I feel so relieved.

4. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My dad taught me how to drive when I was 12. I was a little nervous at first but I got the hang of it. Then I just waited patiently for 3 years to get my license.

5. KyleD

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    That is great that you started very young. What is your advice to get better at driving?

6. ConnectedToWall

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I used to have a lot of anxiety when it came to driving. But I was pressured into driving even when anxious, so eventually I went numb to the anxiety. Now I drive somewhat aggressively and feel powerful behind the wheel.

7. annag423

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I put off getting my license for years. I finally got my learner's permit when I was 18, but only because I was going off to college and my parents demanded I take driver's ed through the school board before I left. I lived in Ontario at the time, where your learner's was good for 5 years, and I just kind of let it expire. I couldn't afford a car and I didn't have access to one to practice with for the road test, but the truth is I didn't want to drive. Having the responsibility for the lives of the others in the car scared the hell out of me.

When I moved to the US I had to get my license. My wife couldn't drive me everywhere. She had to ride with me when I just had my learner's and while I won't say it gave me a phobia it was definitely hell. She's been driving for years, and the idea that someone could struggle with learning to drive and building up the confidence needed to do so was totally alien to her. It took me 4 tries to pass the road test, and I only finally managed that because I'd taken a job that helped to build up my confidence in general.

I'm not sure if any of this helps or not. Just know you're not alone in struggling with driving.

8. Raziel00

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I am the same way. Just going down the block to the store to get milk causes me anxiety and I have to weigh the pros and cons of doing so. I only drive to and from work and to the store. Any other time I get rides from friends and family, if able, under the guise of not being familiar with the streets of a certain area (even though the only reason I'm not familiar with the streets is because I don't drive them.) Proof of how little I drive is that my car is 7 years old and to go to and from work and to the store, if necessary, is a total of 150 miles per week. 150 miles times 52 weeks in a year. 150x52=7800 miles. 7800 miles times 7 years. 7800x7=54,600 miles. To date my car has exactly 55,500 miles on it meaning over the 7 years I've only put an extra 900 miles over the bare minimum on it.

9. Jax12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I got in a really bad car accident that totalled my car. Luckily I came out of it alive with only seat belt bruises. This was in January.

Now it's approaching the end of May, and I just started getting back on the wheel and drove my boyfriend home a couple days ago. I am still quite scared to get back on the wheel but I drive much more careful now.

Another car accident could happen, but that can't stop me from going places. My parents aren't going to drive me everywhere for the rest of my life, and taking a cab certainly isn't cost efficient.

I've been thinking about taking more driving courses, and having someone more experienced sitting beside me while I drive so I can learn as I go. You could do the same by driving in your neighbourhood with less cars on the road and a lower speed.

10. Ryler

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I used to be terrified of driving on the highway, but after forcing myself to drive on the highway consistently, I was able to overcome my highway anxiety. I think to overcome driving anxiety, you will have to really put yourself into the position. Exposure is a great way to overcome your fear of driving. It's going to be hard initially, because I understand that all too well. When I got on the highway at first, my hands were always sweating and I was completely dreading the whole drive.

I think the best approach is to start off small. Maybe try driving around your neighborhood for a couple of minutes every day until you get comfortable enough to where you don't feel anxious. Then go onto one of the bigger roads and really try to persevere through the drive. If you find it too hard at any point, then go back home and try another day along the same route. Take it slow and easy, because it is not a race to overcome your fear of driving. Keep yourself exposed to driving until you're comfortable enough with it. Repetition is key. Grab someone you trust to come along with you if that is able to help you stay calm.

11. Ride2Relax

As my name suggests... I ride my motorcycle to relax myself... except when there's too much traffic, in which case it stresses me out :lol:

Started riding 2 years ago (owned a car since I was 18, I'm 29 now), and I wouldn't change my bike/hobby for anything. Honestly, I'd be worst than I am now if I didn't have that out.

12. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Practice, practice, practice. Preferably in the area you will be traveling in the most and with someone who won't make you nervous while practicing.

13. KyleD

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I think maybe I am this way because I got my driverĀ“s license at a very stressful period of my life. Not to mention my driving instructor was not very patient.