1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Homophobic Customer

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Rydia, May 20, 2017.

1. Rydia

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So, I'm helping out some family members who own a hotel in a small, southern tourist town, for the summer.

Today I got a phone call from a potential customer who mentioned that our town had quite the reputation for being full of homosexuals and he wanted to make sure it wasn't like "key west," before he decided to visit.

Now, I've never been to Key West, so I'm not exactly sure, what he was getting at. Our little town does have the reputation for being gay friendly, particularly for a town in the south and for a small town, there's a larger than normal LGBT population here. It's not uncommon to see rainbow flags on houses and even a few businesses and most of the people here are pretty open minded.

I told him the town was mostly full of tourists, but that the locals are generally pretty open minded, but that it's not like it's some big gay orgy or something (not my exact words, but that was the gist of it.)

I really wanted to tell to just go f himself, but seeing as how it's not my business and all, I didn't.

To make things even better, he lives in the same town I live in (it's about 4 hours away from where the hotel is).

On the one hand, I'm just tempted to tell him we don't have anything open for whatever day he wants if he calls back....something we tend to do with customers that sound like they are going to be problems. On the other, maybe it'd do him some good to spend a weekend with the gays.

2. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It depends on the power you have in the business, i would say.

If it was up to me, i would say something like: "Sir, it will be a pleasure to receive you here. But, as you have asked, yes, our town is known for being LGBT friendly, and that includes our business. Anyone is welcome, regardless of one's orientation".

From there, if he says something unpolite or if he refuses to go, it is the end of the story, in a polite way.

3. Cartax

Customers can be a real pain in the ass sometimes and ruin a person's day. I seem to get at least one a week who tends to be a pest. I know it is hard, but I just try not to dwell on it. I have a problem of constantly thinking about the fact that I didn't tell a customer off or start a fight with them, it can get frustrating at times. I've started trying to think of all the positive interactions I have with customers as opposed to the negative ones to me through the work week.

I lived in a small town of 200 people growing up (adjacent to a 10K population town). So, I understand how frustrating small towns can be at times; It's always like, 'what if I run into this jackass again'. The guy could call back and not even bring up the issue again; I would just try and be polite and if he is continually rude then politely end the conversation somehow. I know a lot of people around my town just expect everyone to have the same conservative views (and 99% of them do), so they just don't know how to filter themselves. Most of these jokers around my town just need to get out and see the world as it is.

4. Rydia

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have worked with customers in some fashion pretty much my whole adult life. I'm not frustrated or dwelling on it or anything, I just find it sad that there are people like that out there. Like spending a couple days in a town that welcomes LGBT people would ruin their whole vacation or something. I feel sorry for him.

5. Hunter8

My advice is to stay grounded in love. If the customer offends you, then forgive him and be the bigger person. Be kind and helpful and honest, and in that way you will temper any hatred he throws your way with a love that is so much stronger. Love your enemy and pray for those who persecute you. You fight hate with love, and no other weapon in your arsenal will live as tangible a mark as love does.