1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT sci-fi and fantasy

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by tranonymous, May 17, 2017.

1. tranonymous

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know there are already threads for LGBT books and LGBT movies, but most of them are romance or drama (not that I have anything against those genres, I,m just a fantasy/sci-fi person at heart) so I thought that I'd start a thread for sci-fi and fantasy stuff that has LGBT characters or content, whether it's books, comics, movies, tv shows, video games, or whatever.

Here are a few to start it off (and I should probably give a minor spoiler warning, as some of the characters in these books are not revealed to LGBT until later on in the story).

The Shadow Campaigns (book series): Napoleonic fantasy with lots of awesome battle sequences and demon magic. One of the two main characters is a lesbian (although she doesn't get a love interest until the second book).

Imperial Radch (book series): Space Opera full of interesting ideas, about an AI hive mind who works for an empire's military.
    The main empire does not differentiate between genders at all (although the author uses female pronouns, presumably as she is a woman).

Caliban (comic book): Sci Fi Horror in the 'Alien' mold, not particularly original but it does what it does well.
    Features a romance between the two (female) main characters.

The City of Silk and Steel (standalone novel): Arabian nights style fantasy, about the wives of a deposed sultan trying to reclaim their old city from the religious fanatic who conquered it.
    Two of the main characters are involved in a lesbian romance.

So there's a few to start this thread, I'll probably comeback and add some more latter.
    And sorry about the female bias, it's just that I prefer book with female characters (being female myself).

2. Casey221B

Carry On by Rainbow Rowell is a fantasy novel, it's kind of like Harry Potter but not really. The main character, Simon Snow, ends up falling in love with his gay roommate, and there's some minor queer characters.

3. Pinstripe

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    It isn't a book or movie, and it's not "serious" fantasy by any means, but The Adventure Zone is a comedy DnD podcast with a surprisingly good storyline and multiple LGBT characters.

4. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Doctor Who and its Spin-Offs have plenty of LGBT characters. There's probably some more minor characters, but these are the ones with a story line. I may have also missed some with a larger story line, since when I said "plenty" I thought there was more than this.

Lesbian
    Vastra (11th doctor)
    Jenny (11th doctor)
    Bill (12th doctor)

Gay
    Luke (SJA, confirmed but unmentioned due to Sladen’s death)

Bisexual+
    River (10th, 11th and 12th doctor)
    Captain Jack (10th doctor)
    Ianto (Torchwood)

Transgender
    Lady Cassandra (10th doctor)

Debated
    Clara (11th and 12th doctor, “Open to interpretation” – Coleman, could be bi or hetero)
    Sanjay (SJA, Luke’s boyfriend – could be gay or bi)
    The Doctor (might be asexual, omnisexual, gender fluid, sex fluid)

Oh, and it's about a ''mad'' time lord who stole a time machine and ran away.

#4 Secrets5, May 21, 2017
    Last edited: May 21, 2017
  5. Luka99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Six of Crows trilogy by Leigh Bardugo. Although it isn't confirmed until the very end of the last book.

Captive Prince series by C.S. Pacat

Both are gay romances

#5 Luka99, May 21, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2017
  6. brooklynNY

zazen by vanessa vaselken has the main character as a lesbian, but it isnt the main focus of the book, the dark artifices by cassandra clare have a LOT of lgbt characters (theres a bi guy, a gay guy, a trans woman, etc) but most of it happens in book 2, same with the trials of apollo by rick riordan (and really anything by him, he's very good about representation), code name verity has a ambiguous gay vibe to it and the companion the pearl thief (both by elizabeth wein) have lesbian vibes

7. 18breanna

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    All of Malina Lo's books! They are geared towards the lesbian audience and the author is lesbian. Comprehensive list for starters:
    Ash
    Adaptation
    Huntress (sequel to Ash)
    Ash/Huntress are mythology based fantasy

8. Loves books

When women were warriors trilogy is pretty good. Deep merge by Linda north. Malinda Lo is an okay author but her books are easily forgettable. The urban fairy tales series by Erik Schubach is very good and one of my favourites. Winds and Dreams also by Linda north was set in Eygypt and was mainly about how an American, rare n the time period joined the household of a powerful woman.

9. intrinsecus

I am reading a great book at the moment called, 'The Left Hand Of Darkness' by Ursula K. Le Guin. It really explores androgyny and different aspects of gender and sexuality. I would 100% recommend it.

10. BostonStranger

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The new Star Trek series, Discovery will feature a gay character and the 1990s Star Trek series Deep Space Nine had a few bisexual characters and even showed a same-sex kiss between two women without making a big deal about it. The controversy instead was that 'reincarnated' people (it's more complicated than that, explaining it would take too long) weren't allowed to become romantically involved with spouses from a past life. It might not be a big deal now, but it was huge in the mid 90s.

[YOUTUBE]2lZayNvimSU[/YOUTUBE]

11. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Its not finished, but I am writing a book where the main character is lesbian, and it modern fantasy. Kinda Percy Jackson/Harry Potter in that magic and all of the mythical and fantasy creatures are real, but the setting is today.

I keep meaning to post a little character bio and see if she is a plausible/interesting character.

12. tranonymous

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sounds cool. There's actually a thread on this site for writers to talk about their stuff, so you should probably go there if you want feedback.
    http://emptyclosets.com/forum/entertainment-media/233448-calling-all-writers.html

I remembered another.
    The Craft Sequence (book series): Urban fantasy set in a fantasy world with gods and magic and so on, that has developed to a modern level of society.
    All books after the first have at least one LGBT character, and the first book has a character that is hinted to be bisexual in a later book.

13. tranonymous

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    And here are a few more comics, because comics are awesome.

The Infinite Loop: Sci fi (romance?) comic about time travel and social justice.
    The book focuses around a lesbian relationship.

The Woods: Sci fi horror about an entire school that is transported to an alien planet full of monsters.
    Two of the (male) main characters are gay.

Welcome Back: Fantasy? Sci fi? I'm not really sure which one this is. Comic about two reincarnating assassins from opposite sides of an endless war, who start to fall in love with each other over the course of several lifetimes.
    The gender of the assassins changes from lifetime to lifetime, but in the current lifetime they are both female and in the lifetime before that (which is showed in a couple of flashbacks) they were both male.

14. Braydon

My favorite book with an LGBT character that I've read is the Percy Jackson, Heroes of Olympus, and Trials of Apollo series, all have the same gay character ( SPOILER - Nico di Angelo, gets boyfriend too)

15. Anubis

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    A wonderful podcast, called "Welcome to Night Vale" features a few gay characters throughout. You'll find them pretty quick, but I don't want to spoil too much. Their site describes it like this:

WELCOME TO NIGHT VALE is a twice-monthly podcast in the style of community updates for the small desert town of Night Vale, featuring local weather, news, announcements from the Sheriff's Secret Police, mysterious lights in the night sky, dark hooded figures with unknowable powers, and cultural events. Turn on your radio and hide.

16. GalleyGirl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I have a lot of favourite books with LGBT characters, City of Bones series by Cassandra Clare (apparently she is going to be writing a series after her current one with an LGBT lead!), Percy Jackson (strongly suspect main character Magnus is going to be shipped with a gender fluid character named Alex- I hope so!), Doctor Who (so happy they now have the first clearly Lesbian assistant), The Demon Road by Derek Landy (first book I read with a Lesbian lead), and Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo (I like how it's treated like any other relationship and all the other characters are just cool with it.)

17. Mahidevran

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Omg lots of interesting things to check out in this thread *.* sci-fi is my genre, and if it's also LGBT+, it makes things even better ♡
    I guess I don't have anything certain to add, but I'm also in the process of creating a story where my main character is male and he is in love with another male. the only difference is that the main character is an android (although has genuine human feelings), and his lover is human.

18. Humbly Me

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have heard of this but I never looked into it? Is it any good?

19. Humbly Me

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I mean if you gender changes between lives how could you care about gender at all XD

20. Cinis

Cinis Guest

Yup. Definitly worth checking out.