1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Transgender student at Tonawanda high school

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Nobo, May 17, 2017.

1. Nobo

2. AlexJames

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm watching it now in another tab, listening to it. I can see both sides. My mom is one of those who think that letting trans people use their preferred restroom is a huge sexual assualt risk. Pathetic, really, isn't it? Children are much more likely to be molested by someone known to them like a family member or family friend, coach, or priest than by some random stranger in a bathroom. Stranger danger has gone too far imo.

But anyways...so even if i don't like it and certainly don't agree with it, i know one side of the anti-bathroom debate. However, i can see why one might ban it just because its a big risk for trans kids. I'm not trans but i know even cis kids get bullied, i can't imagine with an out trans kid would get just for going into the bathroom of their choice if they can't pass well or if its well known. I think Kroger's policy that i read about is a good compromise for public restrooms - a gender neutral family restroom for trans kids, fathers with daughters and babies, the elderly and the disabled.

I mean...i get it, she wants to be accepted for who she is and it probably hurts a lot to not be able to use the girls' bathroom. But at the same time, controversy aside, i think the presence of the unisex bathroom is a good compromise. Yes its not ideal, but it protects her from assault by cis girls in the bathroom who might be uncomfortable with her being in there. I kind of wonder if perhaps something has happened with her or other trans kids at the school or within the district. If there has been an attack or a fight before, perhaps this is why they are doing this. Its sad to see her 'punished' almost for other people's ignorance, but they have a responsibility to protect her and other trans kids and if that means temporarily banning her using her preferred restroom, then that's whats gonna happen.

#2 AlexJames, May 17, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2017
  3. Zoe Izumi

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If that's true about Kroger, then every single Kroger store I've been in, including the one I work in, is nit in compliance with that policy because I have not seen a single neutral restroom at any of them.

4. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not sure what the policy of this other school is, but mine has two gender neutral restrooms and the students are allowed to use whatever one the want in theory.

Being able to just go to the bathroom in peace is a huge deal for trans people and rightly so.

5. AlexJames

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I just saw a post about it on facebook. I assumed they did because i know the Walmart i go to has a family bathroom in the back that anybody can use. I haven't been to a Kroger since i was a little kid.

6. Nobo

That's the thing there are two gender neutral bathrooms in the building but she is making a massive problem over that she wants to use the girls bathroom and not the gender neutral ones

7. AlexJames

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes my point exactly. Her feelings are valid, but imo she's being too much of an idealist about it, too uncompromising. No one is going to change their opinions, their rules, or whatever just for her. She has a perfectly safe solution in her school's unisex bathroom, so its not like she's being forced to use the boy's bathroom instead. Considering how i believe some states are or are trying to make you use the bathroom of the gender you were assigned at birth, it could be worse. My home state is trying to do just that and I've never been more ashamed and humiliated to call myself a Texan.

#7 AlexJames, May 17, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2017
  8. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    She's cool.