1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Did it.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by mk86, May 15, 2017.

1. mk86

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi all

So at 30years old I finally come out to my parents two days ago... Half my friends already knew but I had been struggling to tell my parents

I invited them over for dinner and after a few hours and several beers later my mum clocked on that something was up.. I really didn't think I was going to do it but I just said yeah.. I er... Dont like girls.. Lol..

I always knew they'd be fine and I was right. They were fine... Mum had a lot of questions my dad didn't really say much. All in all they were both just upset that all this time I may have felt lonely... Feels really weird now though... Not bad weird and not good just a bit in different... I've now got to break news to rest of family... My mums trying to give me space to do it but she's also very keen I get on with it... I kinda feel good... I kinda feel emotional... And also kinda nervous about it all...lol but yeah think I've done right thing anyway... Forums like this are great tho.. Some really good people and some great advice...

2. Worker Bee

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yay you!!!! I'm glad your parents are ok about it. Sounds like your mom may be dragging you to a gay bar or pride soon!

3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congrats. That's always really hard, and I congratulate you for taking the steps. It always feels a bit like a "vulnerability hangover" but... it is also really freeing.

4. elyssian

Congrats! I'm glad you're parents were very accepting about it!

5. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    hey congrats man, it really is a freeing feeling. my folks took my sexuality well, but I don't think either of them will be encouraging me to date or taking me to pride etc. but that's ok, as long as they know.

6. mk86

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks! Told someone else in my family last night to. Went ok... But i realised that I might need a break from telling others... Didn't realise how draining it would be... Hope it gets easier...

7. Fericirea

Congratulations dude! I'm really happy for you, coming out to your parents is pretty hard, and they seem to be pretty chill about it. That feeling of weirdness will pass, I assume. Its hard to keep a big secret like that, and letting it off your chest with a decent reaction is gonna feel blissful soon, hopefully. I also hope the rest of your family takes it as well! I don't think I can ever come out to my parents or oldest brother, cause they're really conservative, so you're lucky haha.

8. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congratulations mk86!:thumbsup: I'm so glad that you finally did it and that it went so well!:slight_smile:

In terms of Coming Out to the rest of the family, you should only do that as you feel comfortable. It sounds like you may need to have a serious chat with your mother to reinforce that this is your personal and private information to share (or not share) as you see fit, so she is out of bounds if she tries to pressure you into Coming Out to anyone else before you feel ready to do so. AND, she has absolutely no right to Out you to anyone else unless you have given her your specific permission...

9. CallmeTate

Wow! That's pretty cool. I didn't have to go through that too much, my parents just checked my phone a few years back and found out themselves. But it takes a lot of courage to do that! I'm still waiting to tell my parents about my gender fluidity, but wish me luck! Glad you don't have to hide anything anymore.

10. mk86

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks guys...

11. CanadianRunner

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Congratulations! That is a big step, still on the journey myself to get there.
    I totally get what you mean about that weird feeling. I felt like that for me right after coming out to my siblings. The feeling goes away pretty quickly.