1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to interact with men without appearing interested?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Nightdream, May 10, 2017.

1. Pinstripe

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I don't know if I have any useful advice because I haven't had any male friends for a while for similar reasons. Sometimes I miss it and sometimes I wonder if it's worth the hassle. I think it's mostly what Creativemind said: some men take any sign of friendship from women as flirting. My only advice is to have pretty strong boundaries even before they try to make a move. Don't let them pay for anything. Try to hang out in a group rather than one on one. I had a guy friend who insisted he bought things for all of his friends, that there wasn't any motive behind it, but when he later asked me out, I wasn't surprised. I had to stop hanging out with him because he refused to see me as anything other than a potential romantic interest.

---------- Post added 15th May 2017 at 05:25 AM ----------

Legit2017, that's a completely separate issue and you'd be better served making your own thread.

2. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The vast majority of women have no interest in dating their close friends, even straight women. But many men misread these signals. Being close in a platonic way is normal for women and doesn't imply anything else.

3. CharacterStudy

Hey Pinstripe.

Try this: This is a respected social studies research org in the UK, and they've done research on signs of flirtation. If you read the page you'll see what straight flirting looks like, and then do the opposite. In fact I think they even suggest a few ways for a woman to avoid giving the impression they're flirting. A lot's to do with body language. It's all evidence-based. Of course, this may only work on British men!!

SIRC Guide to flirting