1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Finding your real self

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by SkyAbove, May 9, 2017.

1. SkyAbove

SkyAbove Guest

I was wondering, and I thought I'd share it with you guys.

When I was a kid, I had short hair and I was often mistaken for a boy. Even I considered myself a boy until puberty started. I had all the hobbies and the mindset that boys had. I hated all the too feminine clothes, and I saw no point in growing my hair, and I was genuinely sure that one day I'd just become a boy, and be like all my good friends were.

Obviously that day didn't come, and I realised that my mother didn't like my hair. I remember her threathening me with cutting down all of it if I won't stop resisting growing it. So I gave in, and from the age of eleven I didn't have any major haircut for a long time. But I had a lot of thoughts about being 'wrong' or being 'different' than the other girls, and I started to think, that in order to be accepted I should fit in and be like them.

So I just really lost myself. Not because of the hair itself, but because of what it symbolised. I was ashamed of myself and I thought that I was hiding a secret that I cannot talk about to anybody. My mother was happy because I became 'normal' like the other girls. And I was frustrated and afraid of what was wrong with me. I started to dress more feminine too (no skirts though).

Years went by and I finally became comfortable in my body, and the be honest I'm still pretty much like being a woman.

For a long long time I had this very feminine long hair, which looked really pretty and I looked really feminine as well. Guys started to hit on me, which was totally shocking to me. However, by that time I managed to force myself to forget my sexual orientation. So I was just very confused, because I sure looked like any other pretty girls but I felt nothing about guys. No attraction, no romantic feelings, nothing in reality. By this time I was about twenty years old and very out of place.

Through a very long process I managed to accept that what if I was bisexual... that's where my journey restarted itself and I could start to realise who I was. Even though, I was never bisexual, it was still a huge step in accepting my deep love for women.

I was even in a relationship with a guy, and it lasted more than half a year. Never had sex with him though, I couldn't bring myself to do that. However, I was in a 'normal', 'socially acceptable' relationship, and it did feel good for a while. Not the intimate part, but it felt good to be accepted by people. Or ignored by people, because I was just part of one of the many hetero couples. This relationship was destined to come to end of course, and I found myself knowing a little bit more about me and stopped lying to myself.

And when I had my hair cut short, a lot of feelings came back from somewhere forgotten. Feelings of being courageous and self-confident, mischievous. Myself. I connected myself back to who I was in my most pure period of life, and I was overjoyed to be able to discover me again. And I still am.

I don't even like to put myself in any stereotypes, I'd like to think that I am who I am. Sometimes I look femme, sometimes tomboy. But the hair, that stays short.

I don't know if you can relate or not, or you're someone who experienced this or a mother who has concerns. But sharing maybe helps someone. Thank you for reading.

2. baconpox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for sharing! I'm glad you've found yourself.