1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advise for skinny bodytype PLEASE

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Fishtail, May 9, 2017.

1. Fishtail

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hey so i'm genetic thin or skinny (is there a different meaning between those 2 words?) from Mothers site.

Whenever i get sick,i'm always droping between 2 1/2 to 5 kg and it's annoying.
    Just recovered from 1 week influenza.

Are there food thats good to gain more weight on,
    other than unhealty food with fatty acid or junkfood?

And what sport will be good?
    I was thinking about martial arts but i'm not sure if it's safe for skinny people.

I did play basketball but couldn't keep up due to my almost-asthma.
    And wall climbing until it wasen't payable.

So any advise from other, special other skinny people, are welcome. :smilewave

2. PrinceVegeta

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I also have that problem a bit. What helps me is figs + milk. I prefer soy or almond milk, but regular milk helps too. Something about that combination just works - If you like figs. Martial arts is safe. I have been taking 9 years of jujitsu. Most instructors make sure you eat healthy along with keeping mental health too, so if you decide to do martial arts your instructor could work with you on a diet plan.

Myles Kramer likes this.
  3. andimon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I guess you could start working out, that should increase your appetite to some extent, and you can build endurance and muscle mass this way too.

Myles Kramer likes this.
  4. bluesunlight

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You just have to consistently consume more calories than you burn. There are plenty of calculators on line that estimate how many calories you burn a day, and usually you add about 500 calories or so a day, every day, to gain. Obviously, it's often easier to gain eating junk food, because they're easier to consume and less filling. From what I've seen, doctors generally agree that it's not really bad for an underweight person to consume some junk food to gain weight - obviously, as long as the person is still getting adequate nutrients and not going to make it a lifelong lifestyle habit. If you want something healthier, nuts and nut butters do the trick well.

Myles Kramer likes this.
  5. Libertino

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am also quite thin, 5'7" and 118 lbs. or so, and while I have not made much effort to gain weight, in the past when I have done so (as I also have lost weight from being sick before), I tried eating high-protein high-calorie foods and it did seem to help (not junk food, but meat-heavy dishes and the like). I haven't done anything like that in a while, though, but it can work.

Myles Kramer likes this.
  6. Najlen

High protein foods are good, milk, healthy fats like avocado, eggs. Martial arts is safe. Dance is similar and also a good workout.

Myles Kramer likes this.
  7. Dryad

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have the exact same issue. I just eat lots of fatty sweets etc to gain weight. Since it's not very healthy, I found this thread useful.

8. naoky78

naoky78 Guest

Try to have 6-7 meals a day!

9. Fishtail

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Woah, thanks so much for all the replies.

I do eat more after i'm full but the weightgain is gone next day.
    Even trought half of my food is junkfood, i'm preferring not having to.

I eat a lot of cheese, yoghurt, pasta and drink fruitjuice.
    Whil eating more eggs help?

So can my weight become more consistent when i gain it while doing sport?
    Anyone whit skinny bodytype whose metabolism slowed a bit down after starting sport?

bluesunlight@:
    BY THE WAY, my doctor says i'm not underweight.
    Mother didn't gain much weight under the pregnancy with me eighter,
    guess her bodytype gene's are just very dominate.

#9 Fishtail, May 10, 2017
    Last edited: May 10, 2017
  10. anna96

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am the same way. I am naturally very thin (5'7" and 108 Ibs) and it takes a lot for me to gain weight. I had a bad flu at the age of 10 and lost a lot of weight. I have been back and forth to doctors telling me that I needed to put on weight. Almost everyone in my family is tall and thin and I seem to have inherited it. I also do martial arts as well and distance running so I have to eat even more than average. Martial arts is safe, I have been doing taekwondo for almost 7 years now.

I advise you to eat healthy foods rich in unsaturated fats. Eating junk food is bad because the high amounts of sugar cause your energy to peak and drop dramatically which doesn't make you feel good. Some good sources of protein are avocados, eggs, and nuts like almonds and cashews. Adding butter and/or healthy oils to your foods can help as well. If you want to build muscle, doing some arm, leg, and core exercises to build the muscle in those areas can help.

#10 anna96, May 15, 2017
    Last edited: May 15, 2017
    Myles Kramer likes this.
  11. naoky78

naoky78 Guest

It is best to overcome fears. Here you have all the problems from the fact that you can not explain it to her. She's got to figure out all about it. Your falling in love with a child can just scare her. Most likely now he needs a man who is confident in himself! She's a woman, not you.

12. Me2b

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    cross country running

13. Islanzadi

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm naturally skinny as well, and even if I eat 4000 calories a day, including a lot of protein-rich food, I can't put on a single pound... I started putting on some weight when I started wall climbing twice a week (at once a week I didn't build up a lot, but when I started going twice a week I gained a lot of muscular mass). I also managed to put on a couple of pounds from drinking beer (apparently that's the only thing that will make me gain some weight), but for obvious reasons I don't recommend this as a solution :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

And even though you're skinny, you can do whatever sports you want.

Myles Kramer likes this.
  14. Fishtail

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I haven't gain a single weight while doing any of the activity in this tread opening.
    I hate the taste of bear, so that option wouldn't cross my mind.

It's more the fact that i maybe have weak asthma/bronchitis, or just a bit of
    underdeveloped lungs that i don't know what sport is good for me who
    gets out of breath after 20/30 min while moving faster that at normal speed.

#14 Fishtail, Jun 24, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2017
  15. beagle

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    In terms of weight gain, try writting down what you eat in a day(calories) in a jornal/diary and then then tally it up with your weight. i forgot the word that dicates to each other not inverse something else dam it.. anyway and see if there is a pattern. I know hard work but worth it. Proteins are good for muscle repair but take more calories to digest so pack in some heathly carbs oats, wholegrain rice, sweet potatos etc .. But your protein ,carbohydrates and fats are your macronurients (macros) track those and see how your weight goes. P90x exeercise programme or something similar is good thing to do as you can do it at home and if tired you can press pause and try again.

Myles Kramer likes this.
  16. beagle

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    i

it was 12.10am and was so tired , that word correalation.

17. Humbly Me

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Tumbling practice is great for your physical state, though depending on your body fat ratio your weight might even drop. You can also get climbing bars and such for your house to excersize with. Martial arts should be fine, but I would start with setting a little less brutal than a Brazilian jujitsu school if you are not muscular already. Weight training (benching and clean and jerks, etc) while eating a high protein diet (like most of your body weight in grams of protein each day, lots of it immediately following a work out) and lots of sit ups / other ab excersize including those rolling wheel things will make you gain lots of muscle mass quickly and increase your weight. Just make sure not to hurt yourself trying to clean to heavy of a weight.

#17 Humbly Me, Jun 24, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2017
    Myles Kramer likes this.
  18. FoxEars

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    If you can't find anything that works, I suggest buying supplements. If you can't find anything, it may be a good idea to visit your doctors or contact a dietitian. Professionals will be able to help you more than any suggestion on here.
    If you are working out or doing any form of excercise, you must remember to eat regularly and not skip meals, otherwise you'll lose weight from the exercise or your muscles will become skinny fat.
    Good luck!

Myles Kramer likes this.
  19. Myles Kramer

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey I'm 5'8" 118 lbs (53.5 kg, 173 cm) and I also have a mom with really skinny genes that have passed on to me, my sister, and my brother. I deal with anorexia, but also gender dysphoria due to my size ugh. In other words I also want to gain weight and have trouble doing so. I am also a biochemist in college (senior by credit hour) and I focus on health science.

I am literally on the line of being between a healthy weight and under weight according to BMI charts but those things are actually just a rule of thumb bc they are very useless for tracking if you have a healthy muscle mass to fat ratio or a healthy nutrition & calorie to demand ratio.

To make a dedicated effort to gaining weight you need to take a daily multivitamin (which usually includes mineral supplements in there too), the cofactors they provide will ensure that you aren't throwing away calories bc your body doesn't have the nutrition to necessary to build something with the calories. Your daily groups of vitamins are the water soluble B and C vitamins that can be safely disposed of in excess by your body, the daily value % can safely be as high as 200%, the fat soluble vitamins A, D, E and K are not as easily disposed of in excess and should have a DV % at 75% at the highest. Eat your fruits and veggies and that multivitamin for minerals. For weight gain you should make sure you are getting enough iron, magnesium, zinc, and selenium.

There is a myth of "unhealthy foods". There aren't unhealthy foods, but there are unhealthy diets. As long as you aren't poisoning yourself with ridiculously high levels harmful pesticides and preservatives and artificial sweeteners like aspartame the food isn't unhealthy. To have a healthy diet you must consume enough micronutrients which are vitamins, minerals, essential fatty acids (think whole grains and nuts), and essential amino acids (think meats). Calories can't make you unhealthy unless you are obese (which you aren't at risk of.)

So let's talk break down of calories (macronutrients) in a regular diet.

First some biochemistry: your body can convert carbohydrates to fat and protein to fat and then fat to back to blood glucose BUT you can't convert fat to protein or carbs to protein.

Your body's only way to meet the demands of protein is either what is taken in or from recycling existing protein. Protein, unlike carbs and fats, have nitrogen which cannot be used in the same way and it means proteins eventually have to be disposed of after being recycled so many times as the nitrogenous waste, urea. So in other words, your body is pretty much a protein sink hole. To gain muscle you need to eat more protein and make sure you are getting enough of your essential amino acids in the protein that you eat (histidine, isoleucine, leucine, lysine, methionine, phenalaline, threonine, tryptophan, and valine.) That way you have the margin of protein intake to make more of your body with those building blocks without requiring your body to start recycling itself to keep up.

How much weight you retain in the way of fat depends mostly on a balance of how much dietary fat you take in and your hormonal balance on breaking fats down for blood glucose. Chances are, your "skinny genes" are being translated into those hormones telling your body to steal energy from your dietary fat storage first and yelling at your body to not turn your carbs and protein into fat. There's not much you can do about that right now, that just changes as you get older. Increasing your carbs likely won't do much for you, but You can up your dietary fat intake safely by raising your unsaturated fat intake A LOT and your saturated fat intake a little. (Rule of thumb: liquid oil = unsat. Fat solid at room temp fat= sat. Fat)

Because of those genes the only time I have ever gained 15 lbs and kept it on was not only from a fat gain but also a muscle gain bc my body's hormones demand that I stay at a certain fat to muscle ratio. So my fat storage wouldn't increase without increasing my muscle weight before it and with it.

So to increase muscle, eat your protein like I said before but you also got to do something with that protein otherwise your body will just excrete it as urea. So exercise. Do weight training exercises (with adequate stretching) that are high in reps, lower in weight to build muscle. What works for me is push ups, crunches, lunges, and squats. Honestly anything that uses your own body weight to do anerobic exercise that you like to do will work tho, like gymnastics, acro yoga, swimming, dancing (esp break dancing!), self defense, kick boxing or martial arts (yes if you find a reliable studio, it'll be safe.) Once you start building muscle to gain weight, you'll be able to gain weight in the form of fat as well as long as you increase your dietary fat and keep your net caloric intake above what you need to do those exercises.

You can honestly just wing it bc your body will respond to what you change and you'll know when you are doing it right, but there are ways for you to track your diet and exercise with an app or journal, Endomondo is a good app for exercise. Taking a class of some sort will help you keep to an exercise routine and writing down your meals in a journal can help you remember if you are eating enough protein and fat. My suggestion is to eat at least two meals a day with a major protein source.

Good luck, post on my wall if you have any questions.

Myclosetisfull likes this.
  20. Myles Kramer

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Oh I forgot some other tips:

Dieticians give a good rule of thumb for protein intake tracking. The number of your weight in lbs is equal to the number of grams of protein you should eat per day for muscle gains, half that number is equal to the minimum amount of protein any healthy diet should include. (So your goal can be "eat your weight in grams" but just make sure you at least eat half of that everyday.)

Do eat before exercising to raise your blood glucose but don't eat fatty meals before exercising, especially anything high in cholesterol, that will activate your parasympathetic system and divert energy away from your skeletal muscles to instead fuel your gi tract organs to work on processing the foods. Raising your blood glucose fast without activating your parasympathetics is done by eating carbs.

To eat more per meal, eat your least calorie dense food first (fruits and veggies), then proteins and carbs, and last eat anything high in fat content. Fats (esp cholesterol) trigger a saietity response that tells your brain you are no longer hungry.

Your suggested total calorie intake ought to be above 2,000 calories for an active lifestyle, look up exactly what that should be online by height, weight, and gender designated at birth.

By percentage of total calories any good diet ranges from 45% to 65% carbs, 20% to 35% fats, and from 10% to 35% proteins.

Like I said, you'll know when you find a diet that works, so that will take some experimenting. A good place to start would be first determining how many grams of protein you need by your weight as I explained above and then calculate how many calories are in that number of grams by multiplying it by 4 (there are 4 Calories per every 1 gram of protein). The divide that protein calorie content by your total number of calories per day to find the %. Give yourself a range of % calories from "eat your weight in grams of protein" to half that %. Then the rest of that 100% gets filled in with fats and carbs. Just shoot for a reasonable "more" fat than you currently take in within the healthy limits. You can figure out for sure how much is "more" by tracking your current fat and carb % calorie content (9 Calories/g in fat and 4 Calories/g) and then substituting 5-8% more of your calorie intake as fats than your regular % of fat and take away an equal amount of % calories in your carbs than your regular % of carbs.

Above all remember to start any change you want to make slowly and then do it consistently. If you want to make fast changes in your diet and exercise I'm gonna suggest you talk to your gp doctor.

It make be difficult to make changes but if anything you change makes you unhappy or feel miserable all the time, even though according to "general knowledge" you are doing "the right thing" and doing it consistently, that general knowledge doesn't mean it's right for you. There isn't anything wrong with you, listen to your body, and either modify the change to suit your needs or drop it altogether. Health isn't one size fits all.

I'm also curious about your weight loss due to getting sick. That's not unusual, but if you get sick pretty often, that is. I'm dfab and I used to get sick nearly every month in time with my period bc I wasn't getting the micro nutritional needs to stay healthy when I lost some nutrients in losing a lot of blood. There are other reasons to get sick often, but supporting your micro nutrition will kick the ass off of many reasons for getting sick. If you have any questions, I'd be curious and happy to talk about getting sick often on my wall.