1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would this be socially inappropriate?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Kodo, May 6, 2017.

1. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I recently got my room assignment for the university I'm planning to attend this fall, and there's a high probability that my roommate is trans FTM as well. I reckon this because, first, I was approved for gender inclusive housing and so will be sharing the level with other gender queer individuals. Second, my roommate's name on their profile is a feminine one but under "preferred name" there is a masculine one. It'd make sense also for two transguys to share a room, when the college was deciding who to put where.

At any rate, under their profile (which is visible to everyone on that dorm level) it has their email address. I was considering emailing them to introduce myself, as we will be sharing a room in a few months. But I was wondering if this would be considered inappropriate or odd for me to do? I am not the best with social situations. How would you recommend meeting a roommate for the first time?

2. newts

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it would probably be nice to introduce yourself over email, it's friendly, and that way you can get to know each other a little before moving in. Plus, if you guys are planning to bring any appliances (mini-fridge, microwave, etc) it's good to plan that stuff out beforehand.

3. Questions93

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think its a great idea! If you are not great with social situations its a good way to get the ball rolling so you know a little about each other before you first meet in person!

4. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Email is a good way to preemptively break the ice so you don't have to stand before each other saying "Hey." Not at all inappropriate.

5. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yup!

At the very least, you should start planning who is bringing what for the dorm. Then you could nonawkwardly squeeze in an intro about yourself.