1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you feel different after coming out?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by RainbowsFactory, May 6, 2017.

1. RainbowsFactory

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I came out around 2 years ago, and I was recently thinking about how much I have changed (for the better)! :grin: I want to know how you as a person changed, other than the fact that you came out.

I remember that before coming out, I did not really care about my looks and I was not very comfortable in social situations. I barely had any friends at school and I had so much to discover about myself.

Ever since I came out, my real self gradually "piled" itself onto me. Every day, I feel like I am changing and improving myself. I now have found my group of friends, I enjoy wearing stylish clothes and I take care of my hair / looks. I now also feel like I really know who I am and I do whatever I want to do; I do not feel the need to conform with others.

2. HighQualityLog

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    When I was getting ready [and was terrified] to come out, I often wondered how much I would be changing as well. I thought maybe the things I wore, etc. would change and my attitudes would be much different.
    However, that did not come to be the case. I honestly do not feel a whole lot differently either. I do not dress as differently as I did. I still behave the same way. Honestly, I am not too disturbed or upset by this. I have felt fairly comfortable with my tastes for a while, and I am also very reluctant to step out of my comfort zone, including visiting the "gay scene" or whatever that may involve. I am kinda surprised I did not see this coming though. At the time, I was leaving a religious high school, ready to see how much more open life would be at a public university. It felt like I was really gonna change like in your situation. Obviously, one thing has changed [thankfully]: I no longer have to feel like I am walking on eggshells around those who are close to me when sexuality and romance comes up.
    Overall, I am still happy with myself nevertheless, but I also wish that I would recognize what is offered to me now at this time in my life, including realizing that I do not have to worry about what important people caring about whom I love.

3. HerRainbow

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have actually been going on a journey of finding myself in general! About 2 years ago I was panicking about things I really wanted to do with my life and if I achieved it. The answer was no to everything so I've been trying to change that over time.

Coming out, despite being hard at times, has also been really liberating. Gradually my confidence has increased so I feel better around friends and in social situations. I've sorted out what I want to do career wise and although I've still got some way to go, I feel more confident living my life the way I want.

4. thatakwardgirl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Actually I do feel different after coming out.
    I feel a lot more confident about my sexuality. I actually used to think that being bi was kind of a bad thing and that I should try to "become straight". But after coming out I felt a lot more comfortable with being who I am because my best friend told me that it was okay and that as long as I am happy it´s good.

I just feel better with myself after coming out.

5. lostdownunder

That's an amazing story. I'm still in the closet and really wondering what my life would be like out. I'm tired and my life is pretty crappy really. My professional career is great though. I don't know if I have the courage to come out and not sure how much strength I have left. Great to at least here life could be great.

6. dcout

Thanks for creating this post, as someone who isn't out it's nice to see what life on the otherside can be like. Similar to lostdownunder I'm not ready to come out and haven't really been thinking about coming out. I've spent the last few years thinking about living a straight life and whether or not I could make that work.

Great to see positivity from coming out.

7. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    No, not really. My sexuality will only ever be mentioned if needed (i.e. relationships and people I like). So it doesn't really change me anyway. Besides, since deciding to date only other bisexuals, all the problems I did have don't exist in my life anymore.

#7 Secrets5, May 7, 2017
    Last edited: May 7, 2017
  8. BisexualFurry

oh :***: , another phan! I found that it helped my self image and social anxiety,mainly.