1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fidget toys

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Canterpiece, May 6, 2017.

1. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So, I was having a conversation with my mum and my sister before about fidget toys. Personally, I think they can be useful and can help you concentrate, but my sister and my mum just think they're a scam.

I think that they can help some people, but not everyone. When it comes to fidgeting, I think there are different types and reasons, such as fidgeting when you're bored VS fidgeting when you're stressed and you're trying to calm yourself down.

When I get stressed out, I like to fidget by messing with pieces of string. I find that it helps me to focus my thoughts, especially if the surrounding is overbearing sensory wise. It gives me something else to focus on when the rest of my thoughts are seemingly passing me at such a speed that I can't process them properly. In another thread, someone suggested I try having a cloth cube to squeeze that I could keep in my pocket or something.

Now, I get why people object to these fidget toys, but I think people are misunderstanding what they're for. They think kids are just buying them because they want a new toy to play and procrastinate on work with, but the way I see it is that they're not intended for that at all and are meant to de-stress people and help them gather their thoughts back together when their thoughts are otherwise racing.

Yeah, it's true that some kids might be buying such things for procrastination purposes, but there's certainly a crowd in there somewhere that might actually benefit from these things. Personally, I'm just going to stick to string as it seems to work for me, but to each their own.

What about you? What do you think about fidget toys?

2. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've got two of them. A smaller one of better quality, and a larger one.

I like them for something to hold and play with (quietly) when I'm expected to sit with a large group of people (such as family members) for a long period of time. I like to get up and walk around a lot but I can't do that if there's a lot of people in the room since I'll knock into them (I also don't really look where I'm going even if I think I am) so using the fidgit cube is better for these events. I also do like playing with them when I'm watching a film, because again I have to sit there for 1-3 hours if I'm downstairs and watch the whole thing, but I find it hard to concentrate (if I'm watching it in my room I can pause it every so often to walk around). The alternative when watching a film would be to draw, but then I get distracted from the film altogether (though that's fine if it's a boring movie).

However, I also do use it to procrastinate and will sometimes sit there playing with it even though I've got chores to do.

So I think it can be used both ways.

It's something new in the classroom so teachers will have to see how it goes (I want to be an educator so I'm interested in this). I think it'll be beneficial for some kids and distracting for others, and rules on usage would probably have to be implemented on a case by case basis (to make sure the kid is getting its benefits without decreasing class involvement).

In terms of being a 'new toy' - if kids are playing with that instead of blue light electronics for most of the day, then it wouldn't be a waste. But something else will eventually come along, it's the way things work, nothing new.

3. Reciprocal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can see why they'd help some people, but I do find the trend a bit annoying. Those ones that spin around are very popular in my school and people collect all different colours and LED ones and stuff. I don't think many of those people actually need them, I mean, they managed perfectly well before they became a fad, and they'll. I've tried one of those fidget cubes myself in the hope it would stop me from jiggling my leg up and down, but it didn't make any difference.

4. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd love to have one to help me focus on my work and keep me grounded when I start to dissociate. But, it sucks that a lot of people ruined it by being dicks with them; making it tough for those with ADD and such who would benefit from them.

5. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have one, its fun. But I can't comment on it helping with stress or mental things because I just hate sitting still.

6. Lazuri

As somebody with ADD, I see their value, but most people who have them these days don't need them. I've no idea why they've become so popular.

7. LonerGirl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My son has ADHD & a tool such as this can help him let out the restless energy to better focus on his school work. However with it becoming the new toy trend I've already heard of some schools banning it due to kids simply using it as a play thing & distracting from their work instead of harnessing their concentration. I don't necessarily object to them being used as toys, but I don't like that misuse by some can lead to a situation where people who genuinely benefit are no longer able.

8. Geek

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Because you can do tricks with them and they have different varieties of them (some that glow, etc). Something can have multiple uses but I see this being the Yoyo of 2017.

9. YinYang

I absolutely love them, and they help me keep my SPD and anxiety mostly under control. I hate how they've become a trend, though, since so many people don't like them because of that. I get a lot of weird looks for fidgeting with my fidget toys.

10. AlexJames

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    With me, if i'm anything but content - like nervous, uncomfortable - i fidget a lot at work. Usually with a pen, cause pens are handy at work. So i can see why fidget spinners could be useful for some people. I don't own one, though, and i don't really see the point in buying one. With me, fidgeting provides a focus of sorts, i guess is how i can best put it. Its better now but when i started work i used to get what i've been ceiling sensory overload a lot. I have good hearing and can't naturally block out background noise (apparently you're supposed to be able to do this?) - so fidgeting with a pen helped provide a focus and get me to a point where i can focus on something else and, in doing so, block out the noise. Eventually it got to a point i don't get overloaded at work anymore.

#10 AlexJames, May 8, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2017
  11. Eldrher

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Survival without fidget toys would be difficult. I have a fidget cube and a tangle and they both help me a lot. People who don't need them give them a bad name

12. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Don't get me started on those God damn things... they are almost as bad as cell phones in school now.

13. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't know what these are because I live under a rock.

14. MaoKingofcats

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have a fidget toy that I haven't got around to use but plan to once I figure out how to set it up. I want to use it in order to calm myself down whenever I'm stressed. I think they're great for people that need them but I don't see any reason for others that don't need them to just buy them for the heck of it. That's pretty annoying especially when those people that buy them and don't need one and gives fidget toys a bad name.

15. AJ56

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have a fidget cube and it has helped me to focus better when I'm feeling stressed out. My therapist gave it to me to help with my anxiety and it has helped.

16. Sebby45

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I use a ball of fur (think cat toy) or a piece of smooth wood or rock to help calm down during stressful events. I don't need a special product. But if it works for you, it works, right?

But I understand the hype thing...always ruins a good idea.

17. deepwaters7

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    More toys than anything, I think they are the worst thing to happen. OK, fine, I don't use the toys branded as 'fidget' but I do indeed use a Rubik's cube as the same thing, but it doesn't help me concentrate or anything like I assume these toys are designed for. Actually, I get completely distracted. I just don't see the point

18. grass

grass Guest

Thosethings are ALL over my school. I think they are a scam. I bet you that 80% of the people who bring them don't need the spinners at all. I find them to be distracting, too.

19. AbsoluteNerd

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm on the fence. There are people that genuinely benefit from these products, and there are people who just dick around with them. Most of my views on this have been repeatedly mentioned by others, but one thing that hasn't been brought up yet is the fact that they can be a distraction to those sitting near the kids using them. There is a guy in my English class who does benefit from these products, but the issue is that when he is using his spinner, it can be distracting to me and the kids around us.

20. AlexanderDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    fidget cubes, yes, spinners, nah.