1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If the technology came about which allowed us to change Y chromosones to X or vice ve

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by martialmaster, May 5, 2017.

1. Chronos

Chronos Guest

Re: If the technology came about which allowed us to change Y chromosones to X or vic

Couldn't have said it better myself...

2. Flowey

Re: If the technology came about which allowed us to change Y chromosones to X or vic

If science could change people's orientation, it could change so that people's gender identities fit their biological sex. I doubt many trans would take on that offer because our culture emphasizes on the "Be yourself" thing. Honestly, it sounds a lot less hassle than changing your DNA and taking your days off hearing your interal organ shuffling around and your bones growing in weird direction (squick).
    What if science could make us pick physical and personality traits like the sim?

3. martialmaster

Surely the argument could be made that parents could force their kids to change gender at an early age if they wanted a different gender. The forced to change argument becomes kind of moot.

4. Assassin'sKat

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people

I mean, sure, do whatever you want with your body, but I can imagine suddenly changing your dna structure in an already formed body causing some major medical problems.

#24 Assassin'sKat, May 8, 2017
    Last edited: May 8, 2017
  5. kibou97

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people

When it comes to the being forced to change argument, the people posting here seem to more think parents would forcibly change the sexuality and not gender. When looking at the context of parents that would use technology to forcibly change a child, I don't think it would be gender considering a parent who would think of doing this probably wouldn't be supportive of trans rights and the main reasons why people are against trans individuals would either use religion and say "God made everybody in his image" or they would claim that you're either born with an XX or XY chromosome set (they'd probably be ignoring the multiple ways sex chromosomes differ from that and cause for some types of intersex people) so I don't think they would be for changing something in a way that goes completely against their argument.

When it comes to my personal beliefs with this technology, if Trans people want to do it then why not. The thought of it being able to be used to change your sexuality does sound a bit dangerous because of how easily misused something like that would be by people who don't support our community but if it somehow couldn't be misused in any way whatsoever, then I guess I would be fine with it. I wouldn't personally want to use it but if somebody else wanted to then sure.

#25 kibou97, May 8, 2017
    Last edited: May 8, 2017
  6. AlexTheGrey

Considering DNA gets the ball rolling, but the real changes happen in the uterus and during puberty and are driven via hormones, it won't do anything retroactively. It'd be more like putting someone on HRT but without the pills. At best.

And really, all you have to do is add or remove the SRY gene. You already carry all the genes to produce a male or female body. You just need to switch the right ones on and off.

#26 AlexTheGrey, May 10, 2017
    Last edited: May 10, 2017
  7. Weregild

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning

Yes. But gender isn't biological, it's a social construct. So being afforded the opportunity of changing chromosomes wouldn't resolve the issue; only the extinction of gender roles attributed according to biological sex.

8. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people

Doesn't matter - the XX/XY chromosome thing isn't a cut and dry determining factor for biological sex traits, since it's prone to variance like anything else. Some people have 3 sex chromosomes (XXY, XXX), some only have 1. And variance is more common than we used to think.

What would be way cooler than messing around with chromosomes would be not limiting our definitions of male and female to only include individuals who align 100% with what we've been led to believe makes someone male or female. Especially since we tend to take cis people at face value without really knowing that they line up 100% with our preconceived notions anyway; and we tend to forgive them, but not trans people, where they vary (ex: has a vagina but can't conceive - ok if you were born with a vagina, but not if you had one constructed later in life).

#28 clockworkfox, May 16, 2017
    Last edited: May 16, 2017