1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why do Lesbian characters on TV keep leaving.

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Loves books, May 5, 2017.

1. Loves books

It's seems like a lot of Lesbian characters in shows die or leave. I only kept watching The 100 because of Lexa and then she died. Once Upon A Time had a grand total of 1 episode where Ruby's true love was another woman.Greys Anatomy had a lesbian couple and they left leaving behind an ex. Is it so hard to have a happy lesbian relationship in a show.

2. Worker Bee

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree it totally sucks. Otherwise they seem to be bit characters that only appear in a couple of episodes.

Unless it's a program about lesbians it never seems to bode well.

3. Chronos

Chronos Guest

The 100 is such a good show! I was so sad when Lexa died... she was one of my favorite characters, but at least she's still alive in the Flame... I guess you still have Clark and her weird hunter girlfriend, what season are you on?

4. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is why I don't bother watching shows that revolve around lesbian character/romance anymore.

5. Chronos

Chronos Guest

Agreed, because straight people write lesbian romance for other straight people, not for people who actually want to see legitimate love.... :tears:

6. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah. The sad thing is that even though I'm a lesbian, I usually prefer hetero romance in the media. And it has nothing to do with my sexuality preferences in real life either. It's purely because I find more variety and options with straight romance.

With lesbian romance, I try to relate myself to it and end up getting kind of pissed off that 99% of it just isn't relatable at all. Not to mention kind of insulting and almost always the same thing (in a negative way).

I would like LGBT media more if it improved, but there are a lot of ways we need to make it improve.

7. BostonStranger

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    TV needs more strong LGBT+ characters in general. Oftentimes bisexual characters are being portrayed as self-centered or downright evil people, same-sex relationships are very rare and transsexuals don't seem to exist at all. The only time I've seen strong LGBT+ characters live happily ever after was in the San Junipero episode of Black Mirror.

8. SassyJ

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Grey's Anatomy is bringing back the lesbian storyline between Arizona and Eliza which seems to becoming more as the season goes on.

Plus, there's Supergirl who has Maggie and Alex's relationship as a major storyline and they seem like a normal "TV" couple.

But I get it, we get somewhat attached to characters and since storylines come and go depending on the writers of the show and it sucks when they're gone. Hopefully, the two I mentioned will stick around for a while.

9. HerRainbow

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Production companies only want to be seen to be having more representation of LGBT characters for popularity. Once the hype is over there's no need for the characters anymore!