1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Her 1st Break-Up...How Do I Help?

Discussion in 'For Parents and Family Members of LGBT People' started by ImHerMom, May 4, 2017.

1. ImHerMom

My daughter, almost 19, was always more interested in her girlfriends than the little boys who chased her around in grade school & middle school. She had some boyfriends in middle & high school, but almost always, the friends came first. She identifies as bi, as she finds males attractive, but has a hard time forming meaningful emotional relationships with them. Her father and I had suspicions she might prefer girls in high school and told her it was safe to tell us anything. After all, I had a gay brother and one of my two sisters is lesbian. My other sister and I always figured at least One of our kids would probably be gay/lesbian! Just a family joke, but mostly meaning we were not going to be surprised if it happened.

My daughter finally came out last summer a few months into her first "real" female relationship. It has been fairly tumultuous for many reasons the past 9 months, most of which have nothing to do with the sexual orientation aspect but rather just things you deal with in relationships. We have tried our best to offer advice without overstepping. But a couple of weeks ago the girl broke up with her. She is devastated. She can't stop crying, is becoming depressed, wants to sleep a lot, etc. This is new to her because she never felt this strongly for anyone before.

Her biggest thing is that it took her 17 years to find someone she was attracted to that was also attracted to her, and that finding other women in her age group with similar interests and that same level of attraction is not easy. I have tried looking online but am having trouble finding help. Does anyone know of safe places for Bi/Lesbian females in the 18-20 age group (i.e. bars/night clubs not an option) can meet to make friends and/or for the potential of new relationships? Also, support groups in general for those in her situation? She talks to me and I am happy to listen and help if I can, but I'm sure it would also help to have others who know exactly what she is going through.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice.

2. Dryad

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't know, but I have to say YOU'RE SUCH A GOOD MUM.
    Is there an LGBT youth group in the area, maybe?

#2 Dryad, May 4, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  3. CameOutSwinging

It sounds to a certain degree like she's going through exactly what most people do when they go through a break up. That feeling of "I'm never going to find anybody again." Did you ever experience a breakup when you were younger? I think hearing some stories to normalize this experience for her as normal in dating, gay or straight, would be beneficial.

In terms of meeting people, she could try Meet Up or dating apps/sites. Meet Up would be more to make friends but having some gay friends could be helpful.

I've been to Reading (an ex grew up there) so I know it isn't the biggest town. She may have more luck finding groups in Philly if it isn't too far of a ride.

And you're awesome for wanting to help her with this! She's going to be more than okay.

4. ImHerMom

Nedussa,
    Thank you! We do our best. I have been looking for youth groups and everything like that but still haven't found much. Will definitely continue searching though!

---------- Post added 4th May 2017 at 04:14 PM ----------

CameOutSwinging,

It's funny, we actually just moved up here 6 months ago. We lived closer to Phoenixville/Valley Forge, which was about 30-40 mins outside Philly. The move actually made things harder because she became estranged from friends as well (it was also close after graduation so some of that was a natural parting of ways). Just unfortunate timing all around.

I definitely told her my war stories and she knows I can relate. Her trump card though is how much harder it is for her to find another relationship than it was for me. I am pushing hard for at least trying to forge some friendships - others to talk to, people to hang with and a foundation for possible future relationships and/or meeting new people.

She tried one app but that did not go well as 3 people were misrepresenting themselves, so that was frustrating & disappointing. But I will definitely note the one you mentioned as a possibility. Thanks for the props, but I'm just being a mom : ) I appreciate your response and thank you for your time!

5. purplepuppy

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Ice cream is the prefect break up comfort food