1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How has your attitude about LGBT people changed over the years?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Tre, May 3, 2017.

1. Ryu

Ryu

>before I knew about this stuff I didn't care
    >when i was super into thist stuff I was all yeah this shits cool do whatever be whatever
    >now I don't really care, I come here for fun and ask questions Id like a liberal viewpoint on

2. Qwertuvle

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When i was younger my brothers would tease me as brothers do. And gay was a term used often. So for my more formative years anything lgbt related seemed evil in the most childesh way possible.
    Then, once I had grown out of my more childish mindset, i became more indifferent.
    After that I actually met and to some lgbt people, immediately understanding and allying myseld with them.
    A few years after that I discover that I am bi, and it doesnt change anything, just makes it a bit more personal.

3. MySurnameIsLong

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Well! I used to be homophobic between the ages of like 6-13, now I'm 20. I seriously looked at anyone even bisexual with disdain, I am soooo sorry everyone!!! :frowning2:
    I genuinely didn't even think of ever becoming gay and refused to even acknowledge that there is any possbility of that happening, this was probably due to the family I was raised in, best family ever but we had some outdated values in certain subjects, well not I'm 20 and I have fancied men for a few years now and only recently came ou, I have absolutely no clue how I ended up gay but hey I'm not complaining! :grin:

4. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I still think of us as normal people, so I guess it hasn't changed. Guess my parents raised me right lol

5. holtzysorry

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    When I was a lot younger I always thought LGBT people seemed like cool people. I was always inspired by the lady bikers and butch role models. I never had many friends in high school, so the LGBT community seemed like a better place. So, it helped to stick with the other misfits and liking girls, just added to the feeling of not being alone. It really makes me gay (hehe) to be part of a loving and badass group.

I finally feel like I am discovering the true me, my 15 year old self would be so inspired by my 21 year old self.

#25 holtzysorry, Jun 9, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2017
  6. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I didn't think of LGB people at all, but I had some thoughts on transgender people. I thought they were coerced into transitioning. Never thought it was something they WANTED to do.

Although, I guess some people may feel like they were forced to transition.

7. Nachtmahr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I never actually had a specific attitude towards a collective of people that was based on irrelevant random factors such as their sexual orientation to begin with so there was nothing that could have changed about that during the years.
    I struggle to see the category LGBT as a community one is a member of in general because other than not being heterosexual there is nothing that would determine it as such. People who fall into the LGBT category all differ from each other, they are all individuals with different values, viewpoints, lifestyles and perceptions as everyone else.
    I don’t really see any connection between or can identify myself with a pride flag waving left-winger who exhibits and shows himself off at a ridiculous parade, nor with a religious archconservative who is plagued by guilt and self-hatred at all. Compared to both examples I have much more in common and share more values and experiences with my friends who happen to be heterosexual guys.

TL;DR: I only hold specific attitudes or judgements towards individuals not collectives of people based on irrelevant factors they happened to be born with. Plus, I think identity politics are horseshit.

#27 Nachtmahr, Jun 10, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2017
  8. Lazuri

I mostly just went from "I don't mind 'em; let them do what they wanna do." to "these are my peeps, yo!" since I entered the community.

9. Sienrar

I didn't know what gay, lesbian, bisexual or transgender meant when I was a little kid. When I did learn what they meant, I didn't really think anything of it and supported equal rights for them. Not too long after that, I realized I was one. Pretty quick progression if I do say so myself.

10. LazyHarpSeal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I was extremely homophobic/transphobic before I realized I was bisexual. I am in an environment where this type of thinking is considered normal, and I guess I always saw queer people as "those weird people who do weird things who I will never know or associate with". I guess I never realized that LGBTQ+ people are people, just like the rest of us, and it took me discovering my own sexuality and meeting other queer people to grow out of that bigoted, ridiculous, and, quite frankly, dangerous way of thinking. I'm so happy I realized my sexuality, because if I hadn't, I would be such a less accepting and a more judgmental person. Discovering who I am really changed my life, and I think, made me a better person.

11. Fire Wolf

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    When I was younger I didn't know anything about the LGBTQ+ community and when I first heard about it I thought it was a little wired. YouTube really introduced me to the community and helped me discover myself. Long before I knew I was gay and non binary, after I got over it being weird, I was completely supportive. Now I'm even more supportive!

12. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I never was homophobic, but I've changed in mood from thinking of the gay community had obligations between individuals to not really caring about a sense of community at all.

13. Sealgirl19

Before: For me I did not care, I didn't understand, I'm still a little ignorant to the lifestyle, and I had questions plenty of question.

Now: I guess that explains why I was attracted to one too many female characters growing up.......