1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Came out...at 50. What do I do now?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Patty, May 2, 2017.

1. Patty

I would like to explore dating a woman, but I don't know how to go about it. The bar scene is out for me. It would just scare me and make me a wallflower. I would try a dating site but the truth is, I am poor. I can't spend a lot of money, I simply don't have it. I have not worked since Sept. of 1999.:eek: Now I am a caretaker for my husband who is 63 (14 year age difference) and can hardly walk anymore. I could go out for coffee??? Is that stupid? Even if I could get a job, which I can't (jobs are scarce), I still couldn't support myself. I just don't think anyone would be interested in me because I don't have a job/career.:icon_redf

2. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey Patty,

I feel for you. I have a couple of suggestions. First would be to check out meetup.com and see if there are any LGBTQ groups in your area that you might be interested in checking out. Another would be to look online for LGBT-specific hobby/interest groups in your area and, perhaps you could get someone to come and care for your husband while you participated occasionally in activities. (Such as Comfort Keepers, who are relatively inexpensive, but very reliable in my personal experience.)

Just some thoughts.:slight_smile:

#2 Quantumreality, May 2, 2017
    Last edited: May 2, 2017
  3. Worker Bee

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Please don't think that no woman would be interested as you don't have a job. Besides you do, you're a full time carer. I would like to think that women out there are not that shallow.

4. Patty

Thank you both.

@NerdbyNature - I would like to think that the women out there aren't that shallow either, but it just makes me feel I have nothing to offer. I've been hurt by my ex, family and "friends", but deep down I know I have a good heart and I'm as honest as can be. That has to be worth something, doesn't it?

@QuantumReality - I did try a meetup group. I've been a member for three years. It was a lesbian only group. Unfortunately, their outings are more than I can afford, are further away than I wish to travel, etc. They've had spring/fall dances. I went to one and I had a good time. Some ladies asked me to dance. But I had to leave early. The last few I went to, I went inside sat down and cried. So, I don't attend those meetups anymore. (And besides I'm really bi, and their group is lesbians only.) I'm actually thinking about getting up the nerve to join a dating site. It's been years since I've known I've been attracted to women (too), and I'm dying for my first kiss.

5. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey I dont know about in the US but over here there are some free dating sites which arent dangerous as long as you take the normal amount of precautions.

6. Patty

Thanks, Silverhalo. I'm a little nervous about the dating sites, and don't have money to spend on them. We shall see.

7. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well yes I would say proceed with caution but there must be other people in your situation.

8. Worker Bee

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You are definitely worth it, tho I know how being hurt by the people closest to you can shatter your self.confidence etc

9. beenthrdonetht

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi Patty,

I was primary caregiver for my dad, who was 89 and could hardly walk. Although his sense of humor never dimmed. ("Hold on to the walker, [my name here] is slowing down." On finding a parking place, Me: "Ah there is a God." Him: "Locally, anyway.")

At the time, it feels so soul-draining, even if you love (or once loved) the person. I didn't socialize much that last year, but looking back I think I missed out on a lot of opportunities. Of course, even to get out requires some help, a "baby-sitter" (pardon the expression). We were able to hire real nurses to come in every few days so I could get to the gym at least.

But it is so hard. And I wasn't even dealing with a "changing of teams". (Again, pardon the expression, it sounds a bit flip but I'm just trying to be concise.)

But remember, you are lovable just the way you are, and admirable too. Ladies of all ages should be able to see that. And you need that love now. Please don't lose hope!