1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thoughts on firearms?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Ryu, May 1, 2017.

1. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I suppose a rather strong general disdain, especially with violence in the area. Loopholes that allow the criminally insane to obtain weapons of war need to be closed, I dare say.

Self-defense sure, but when you're going down the sidewalk with a rocket launcher on your back, we may have a slight issue to address. A taser or stun gun can get you self defense just fine without the accidental murder charges, yes?

I don't know. It's odd for a person in my area to harbor such a dislike, but I don't like the repetitive violence that continues to occur, and feel some sort of obstruction or change is necessary for the situation to improve. A lot of the young boys, some "pre-teens" around here end up taking pictures of themselves posing with assault rifles, but I would presume they lack the training and the discipline that should be required in the first place. It's almost as if it's a status symbol here.

And if we're talking video games? Plasma and lasers are more intriguing, just saying. Look at all that tech. :icon_wink

2. Lizz10

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    yeah, i agree, especially since there seems to be a lot of terrorist attacks on the news at the moment. it scares me that you can get murder weapons so easily

3. Lazuri

So do cars.

4. Assassin'sKat

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Who am I to tell someone what they can and can't have?

Unless you have a history of abusing your privilege to have a gun, or a psychologist says there is a reason to think you might use it to hurt someone, you should absolutely feel free to have one.

5. jaska

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    making them illegal would probably just make a bigger black market for them-more organized crime. Really there's not really any solution to it, except maybe making it more difficult to to get licences, but nonetheless, if someone is fixed on getting a gun, then they are going to find a way to obtain one whether its legal or illegal.

6. WeDreamOfPeace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This. I totally forgot this as an option, but this.

7. Dollop

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Firearms are stupid and shouldnt be open to ownership to untrained person which is your bog standard member of the public. Shame this is not the case in some places of the world...

8. Assassin'sKat

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I just think we should be taking away as few freedoms as possible. The government already has more control over us than I think it should.

#28 Assassin'sKat, May 3, 2017
    Last edited: May 3, 2017
  9. Ryu

Ryu

Interesting.
    As a brit, I'm bummed we have such tight laws cos I wanna go shooting really damn bad. Looks like a good time If you ask me.

10. ForeverRainbow

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm a Brit, so I really couldn't say, but I personally don't agree with the distribution of guns to the public.

11. Lazuri

There are still gun ranges you can go to in most countries where guns are banned.

12. PatrickUK

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    UK gun laws are strict and I'm pleased about that, but there is still room for improvement. I think the ownership of guns should be very tightly controlled. In my opinion, nobody should have a gun at home unless they can demonstrate just cause for requiring one.

13. AlexanderDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "Non-violent resistance activities cannot succeed against an enemy that is able freely to use violence."

they have their place.

14. Suomi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I used to be anti gun.

If someone feels they need one for protection, and have taken classes/training for the gun. Then I would mind.

If someone has a hobby for shooting or things like that, then again, I understand.

Depression and things like that are a mood point and complicated, though.

15. Kyrielles

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Personally I'm not a guns person and I'm not exactly down with hunting. But ya know the world doesn't revolve around me personally, so to be equal and fair as best possible to people I think that for one we most definitely need stricter gun laws and better background checking. Like there should be mental health statuses on background checks for purchasing firearms. For example in order to purchase a firearm you should be up to date mental health wise with a Dr confirming that. Sure it sounds like a lot to ask for according to some people, but it could potentially keep guns out of the hands of people who don't need them and save lives. Plus I mean if you're fine mental health wise and are a true gun enthusiast it shouldn't be an issue anyway. I also think automatic/semiautomatic weapons should be illegal, (personally I think all guns should be illegal/aside from hunting purposes.) The only weapons legally sold should be simple handguns for protection and rifles related to hunting. And the types of restrictions on certain items and modifications for weapons also needs to be controlled better.
    It's sad that we live in a country where it's promoted and paid to invoke fear in people, to cause mental disasters for people, and then give them guns to feel safe or in control and to cause tragedies. The only reason we don't have better gun laws is because we keep putting people in power who don't want to work and do their jobs. Making or modifying a law requires work, hard work I imagine, it requires a lot of time. So in their minds they're probably thinking why do I want to do this work when I can just sit here on my ass and argue by word of mouth that we don't need better laws and these guns companies and the nra is contributing insane cash to me for free just for not doing work. Pshhh, how easy is that. I imagine that's their mindset. Maybe if we had better laws on political contributions then we'd get better laws, laws that have the general safety of the citizens in mind, smart laws that benefit everyone, other than the current laws which only benefit few and effect all.

16. EpicConfusion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I love guns, and own a couple myself. Everyone should own a gun and know how to use it safely and effectively. IMO no one really has any business telling other people what weapons they can own and use to defend themselves if they feel it necessary. To quote one of my favorite authors,
    “That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.”

George Orwell

17. Totesgaybrah

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My dad taught me how to be responsible with, clean and accurately shoot guns at a young age. Just target practice, I’ve never been hunting and I have zero desire to kill an animal.

I have no fear of guns. I fear the irrational untrained idiots using them. Which is why I definitely support strict gun laws.

As a side note. I wish our police weren’t so militarized. They should have better self defense training and better armor with more non-lethal options for taking down a suspect.

18. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I do believe we need stricter gun control here in America. I do think people have a right to defend themselves but only if there in the right state of mind.

19. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am EXTREMELY torn on this issue, and it's probably the only one I am to the level that I am. There are some decent arguments from every which way, and excellent rebuttals.

There are, however, some key things I do hold core to what I believe, no matter what conclusion.

- Mentally ill people should not have any access to a gun. I wouldn't trust myself with one, and I know some people who definitely would be dangerous with one, as well. Some of these are dear friends. The risk of easier suicide is far too apparent.
    - People who are out for a vendetta or hate any entire group of people just for living should not own guns, either.
    - States need to be consistent with their laws. A lot of the confusion that surrounds this stems from the fact that what's legal in one state is not legal in another, and the gun gets smuggled in far too easily. I'm all for one state being open carry and another state being concealed. That should be a state thing. Not so much in whether one state allows the sawed-off shotgun or assault rifle, and the other doesn't.
    - The NRA needs to get out of politics. They used to be a group for people who liked guns. Now they hold political and legislative power, and because of it, we see the consequences in the form of school shootings.
    - The thought that any gun control = Hitler's agenda needs to be done away with. Hitler wanted power over the people. We just want kids to stop dying.

I can listen to the debate on the 2nd amendment and its true intentions all day or even what gun does what and what part constitutes x, y and z, but when too many people are dying because some other people want to protect any and every way to keep *their* guns, and by extension, *other people's* guns, that's a cause for alarm to me.

20. Blast

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Of course there should be some restrictions but, yes, I agree with George Orwell. Guns are a necessary evil.