1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Movie Made You Realize You Were Gay?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by alainbeaux, May 1, 2017.

1. alainbeaux

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hey Everyone,

Just curious to know if a specific movie (or movies) helped you on your way to realizing you were gay. Any specific scene, character or actor (actress) is fine too. TV shows are also fine.

For those who care, here's mine.

For me it's the animated movie Aladdin. I didn't totally understand it because I was so young but something about Aladdin made me feel funny. I always admired his smile and liked his bare feet and baggy pants. One scene specifically is the part in One Jump Ahead where Aladdin is literally picked up by a fat ugly lady who rocks him back and forth while she sings "Still I think he's rather tasty." That scene turned me on like crazy as a kid. Like, I masturbated for the first time to that part. Now I'm older I think I've always liked it because, for one, it's the only time Aladdin's attractiveness is really mentioned, and I also like seeing him dominated by someone he finds physically disgusting. Aladdin's facial expression while she held him always turned me on (still does). And I won't lie, Aladdin is pretty much my ideal guy, like, I'm forever searching for someone who looks just like him. It kinda helps that he was modeled after Tom Cruise, so I just need to find a guy who looks like that. One guy my senior year of high school actually looked just like him and I developed a serious crush on him instantly. I don't mean just lust either, like, I was really in love with him on every level. He was so handsome (he knew he looked like Tom Cruise too) but also pretty funny and super smart about literature, philosophy, and science. I wish so badly I'd hung out with him more, but my attraction to him made me more reserved with him around. He was straight of course, though I briefly suspected he was gay. I haven't seen him in like, 9 years, but I think about him every day. I wish so much I could've dated him, he was such a nice and really smart guy. I would've come out of the closet in high school if it meant I could have dated him. Sometimes I feel like he was my soul mate but I missed out because he's straight. I don't think I've ever really gotten over him. I hope I do, because this feeling really hurts. Being gay fucking sucks. I can't believe I have to spend the rest of my life like this. I fucking hate it. I just want to be normal (i.e. heterosexual). I know people say they've accepted being gay but come on, if people had choice, no one would want to be gay because it fucking sucks.

That turned into an epic ramble. Sorry. I'm not in a good mood right now.

Ok, well I've embarrassed myself in front of you guys enough for now. Now you guys also know about the biggest unrequited love of my life.

2. Mysteria

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Probably "Better than Chocolate". I remember after I saw it wishing I had seen it before I got married because it made me feel so strongly; both attraction wise and emotionally.

3. Elysian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think I started to address my "gayness" after I watched Stormbreaker which starred Alex Pettyfer. I just remember kind of sitting with my friends in the cinema when I was like 11 and we were pretty much on the edge of developing full-blown tweenage hormones etc etc and I just remembered thinking- huh, he's really something and then having the subsequent moral anguish argument in my head proclaiming that it's not happening. But it did. And it didn't go away. And that's pretty much that sad temoignage in a nut-shell haha

#3 Elysian, May 3, 2017
    Last edited: May 3, 2017
  4. Worker Bee

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Mine was the tv series wonder woman. Although I didn't have the vocabulary at the time (I'd not heard any terminology by then) that was definitely my turning point.

5. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    High School Musical. I was 9 and for some reason really liked Vanessa Hudgens.

It didn't make me realise I liked women but it was the first film where I liked someone in it.

#5 Secrets5, May 3, 2017
  6. KBrandonSB

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It wasn't really a movie or show that made me realise I was Gay but there's definitely times I remember being younger having crushes on guys in movies and shows or cartoons and just thinking I found them cool. XD

Beast Boy from Teen Titans is the one I can think of right now aha

#6 KBrandonSB, May 3, 2017
  7. SpitFireAlphas

{Im Pansexual but Whateva} Amy Rose . I always felt bad for the way sonic neglected her . When i was little i wished i was in the Show/comics/games so i could help her forget him ... then i realized i liked her XP

8. Chronos

Chronos Guest

Well I'm bi, so this is actually more about my bi-ness.... :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

When I went to go see Passengers in theater (with my family cuz my sister wanted to see it), I totally fell for BOTH Chris Pratt and Jennifer Lawrence... and I'm sitting there all like "I don't know which one is hotter..."

9. L0ser

A movie didn't make me realize that I was bi, but doukyusei would have if I watched it when I was younger. It wasn't out then, but whatever. Basically this is the best anime romance I've ever watched, and it does it all in an hour while other anime take literal seasons to get the main pairing together.

This is a feel good, beautiful piece of animation that you should watch whether you like anime or not. 10/10 makes me want to have a boyfriend.

#9 L0ser, May 3, 2017
  10. Kenaz

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Buffy the Vampire Slayer (TV show). Spike... my first crush. :slight_smile:

[​IMG]

#10 Kenaz, May 3, 2017
  11. Justinian20

I never really had crushes at that age. I didn't watch much TV or movies anyway but at my current age by god my gayness is in full flow, I prefer gay romance films, because oh my god so cute or oh my I want it, give me those boys. Or it just fun and makes me smile.

#11 Justinian20, May 3, 2017
  12. SkyAbove

SkyAbove Guest

Pretty much every movie in which there was a heroine. I was the kind of little girl who wanted to save the princess in the Disney movies, and couldn't identify with being saved by a prince. I couldn't care less about the prince tbh. I had no idea back then that what this meant.
    Also, Xena...

13. angeluscrzy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I was so obsessed with Buffy and Angel. I always leaned toward Angel tho (hence username). Love the dark brooding types......
    Incidentally, Spike was my 16yr old's (then 5yr) first crush. Every time I'd point him out during opening I'd ask who that was. She would smile sheepishly and say "Thats Spike.....he's my boyfriend".
    Anyway, I veered off a bit, just a very funny/happy memory.
    For me, the first significant thing was Christian Slater. He was just the epitome of coolness to me, and just incredibly delightful to the eyes.

#13 angeluscrzy, May 4, 2017
    Last edited: May 4, 2017
  14. LunaMare

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've always been kind of drawn to LGBT characters in tv shows but I never really considered that there was something behind it. Until this january, when I saw the Norwegian tv show SKAM. The whole 3th season was about a guy fighting his denial about his sexuality when he falls in love with another boy. The whole story was so beautiful and it just kind of opened my eyes and I finally started to admit things I'd been in denial about myself.
    I still haven't figured everything out but for the first time I'm finally starting to be honest with myself and for that I'll be always thankfull to SKAM

15. Mia C

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Watching Skins made me go insane when I was about 16. I know, looking back the relationship between naomi and emily is kind of cliche, but oh my god...

Took me a whole more 6 years to realise what was going on. Looking back at it, it's so hilarious how I was constantly like: well yea like 80 % of the people I fancy are girls, that's normal right? Haha

16. Godless

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Rafael in Jane the Virgin.

17. cameron811

Draco Malfoy in harry potter. Nuff said.

#17 cameron811, May 5, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  18. hollychristina

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    For me it wasnt a film but RuPaul's Drag Race i was flipping through the channels and VH1 was showing season 2 of Drag Race. I saw the runway looks and thought these drag queens look beautiful but it wasnt til they had Tatianna out of drag that i thought he is a really cute boy and subsequently i have watched every season since season 2 and every season there are always a few boys on the show that I swoon over (this season it is Valentina and Farrah who make me swoon) . It wasnt til maybe season 5 that i realized the boys i tend to like are creative, artistic or sensitive and most happen to do drag.

#18 hollychristina, May 6, 2017
    Last edited: May 6, 2017
  19. taical

taical Guest

Mine's a TV show, the US version of Shameless. There's a gay teen couple on the show and before watching it I never really saw any fictional gay characters that weren't the effeminate stereotype (not that there's anything wrong with that, just that I'm not that). I was always open to the idea of being gay, I had just been telling myself throughout all of adolescence that I wasn't that because I didn't fit in to any kind of gay 'category'. Shameless made me realize that there's no such thing as a category when it comes to who you're attracted to. :slight_smile:

20. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The first time I remember experiencing full-blown sexual attraction was during the TV show The Mentalist, the main character Patrick Jane (played by Simon Baker) was extremely intelligent, had a suave-as-hell personality and a gorgeous smile. He was going through this rugged look phase, with heavy stubble and a tattered formal look.

I surprised myself when I was admiring him and the thought sprung into my head, "yeah I'd top that." I remember doing a bit of a double take at that point, almost looking around to make sure no one heard that thought.

I was about fifteen at that time.