1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I avoid lesbian TV shows?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by qwertyyyy, Apr 30, 2017.

1. qwertyyyy

I have a wonderful boyfriend, who I'm very much in love with. I am attracted to him, and enjoy sex with him. We first started going out years ago, and when I started watching the L Word, I came to the conclusion that I was actually a lesbian, and broke up with my boyfriend.

After about a year of dates with girls, and lesbian sex (which was the best thing I've ever experienced), I kept being drawn to my ex-boyfriend still, and we would hook up. This really confused me, but it just kept happening and the chemistry was so real. I still loved him, and realised that I was still attracted to him, so we ended up going out again.

I've been happy with him for about a year now, since then. As I said, I am attracted to him, even if I'm rarely attracted to men in general. I stopped questioning my sexuality, and I'm happy.

But then I decided to rewatch the L Word because I really enjoyed it before, and honestly it's making me think of women again, and how much I'm attracted to them. Sex with a women was probably more enjoyable for me, even though I love having sex with my boyfriend too.

Should I stop watching the L Word, and avoid lesbian TV shows and movies like that, so not to confuse and tempt myself? Because I am happy with my boyfriend. But do people think that I'm fooling myself about my sexuality? If a TV show can tempt me so much, what does that say about me? My love for my boyfriend is so much more than just sexual, and this happened before and look where I ended up.

Looking for opinions, thanks.

2. Foxfeather

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Well, it seems you have a relationship going, but the quesiton is, is it enough for you? No relationship is perfect or will leave you 100% satisfied, but it seems like, in both cases, you were left wanting more.

I know it sucks to say it, but in the long run, he might not be the one for you. You might end up meeting another man--or woman--who will end up fulfilling you in more ways than one. I'd say you should keep your options open and, even while you are in this relationship, if you are not 100% committed to it, keep your eyes open for wahtever it is you're looking for. You say you're happy, but I sense that you're missing something--both while you were in these lesbian relationships, and while you were with him. You gotta find yourself before you can really determine how you fit in with other people, including your romantic partner.

Sorry if this doens't make sense, but I get this feeling that you're looking for "something more", beyond just great sex. How would you say your emotional and psychological chemistry with your boyfriend is? Are you truly happy with him? Are there any "warning signs" in your relationship that caused you to leave in the first place?

3. 18breanna

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My takeaway from this is: maybe you're heteroromantic?

My guess is that sexually you enjoy women more, but from what I read none of the relationships lasted as long as the one you have with your boyfriend. I don't know much about your bf/how much you have told him but I would suggest discussing this with him. Some people are comfortable with partners who enjoy sex with the same gender—just ask!

4. qwertyyyy

My boyfriend is the 'something more' - our relationship is pretty perfect, emotionally, psychologically. I left him the first time because I had grown unattracted to him. But after the break up, and a year apart the attraction was better than ever.

It's so hard to describe, but it's like when we have sex, it's fun, and sometimes it's amazing. Sex in a long-term relationship is never perfect and it's easy to fall in a routine. But I'm feeling like I'm lacking what I got from sex with a girl. Being super attracted to them, and wanting to kiss them all over, all the time (bit of an exagerration obviously). Literally if my boyfriend had a woman's body this would all be perfect.

But no relationship is absolutely perfect. And I don't know how I could throw away all of the love and support and joy that I have with him, just for the sake of sex. But I hate the fact that even a lesbian TV show can upset me like this and make me question the whole relationship.

5. seeking

I think if you are the type to leave your boyfriend to fulfill some additional sexual desires then a woman on the street could provoke you.

I think not watching a lesbian series won't be the cure.

Maybe you two need to experiment more in the bedroom. I am not sure what type of sexual activities you do but maybe doing more oral related sex, bringing in toys, or going on a romantic get away.

I don't think it's the show, but more so the ability to stay sexually committed. (I don't mean this in a disrespectful manner.)

In addition if he isn't satisfying you....you two need to sit down and talk about one another's sexual fantasies. If he is someone you love and want to be with....some middle ground has to be met.

#5 seeking, May 2, 2017
    Last edited: May 2, 2017