1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Gays were executed in the holocaust?!

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by AlexJames, Apr 24, 2017.

1. Benway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm not 100% familiar with the "Pentateuch," but if that's a fancy name for the first five books of the Bible, then yes, I will go as far to say that they were not written by God. Their authors are lost to time, as they're all based on oral tradition that got passed from generation to generation for hundreds of years before any of it was ever put on paper. Over that time, it would be easy for someone to change little things, and eventually it would end up nothing like it was originally. The same goes for the entirety of the Bible, not just the Jewish part.

Then after that you've got things like differing drafts of the books of the Torah and Bible over the last 1500 years. A lot got changed. I'd be tempted to say that the Torahs and Bibles we can buy at bookstores today are almost nothing like what they were originally intended to be. But that's a whole different story. I'm saying that classic Judaism fathered homophobia and modern Judaism tries to save face and run away by being all inclusive while knowing it's responsible for the discrimination of hundreds of thousands around the world, today.

I think the only book in any Abrahamic faith that purports to actually have been written by God, Himself is the Koran-- which suffers from the same problem of being based on years of oral tradition, which turned it into one big book of anti-Semiticism.

2. Psaurus918

Learned about it here in school. 9th grade World History

3. DoriaN

I don't want to sound rude at all, but the fact of the matter is there is a lot of conjecture in what you wrote based on ignorance. Because it's not on subject to the topic itself I don't want to get too involved. The scriptures themselves were preserved very well through the ages, the dead sea scrolls attest to this as well as other manuscripts and evidences.

In the Hebraic language the letters are numeric, so the way the scribes kept track of a book's accuracy was if the summation of the number values were equivalent to a copy's. An example is let's say the book of Isaiah is 23523, if it was even off by 1 number it was scrapped. The reason why Jesus/Yeshua was angry with the Pharisees is that they taught the precepts of God as inventions of man, changing the meaning and even point of the scriptures in favour of their own tradition and subjective understanding.

As for the Quran, that is much more plausible to say it was changed because there were in fact many differing Qurans and the originals were destroyed; we have evidence for this. The Quran itself is a supposed '3rd testament' addition to the Bible, but even exegesically within it's own scriptures there are discontinuities and even within it, it holds that the Bible is authoritative. They however had added an extra spin to it which in turn leads the entire narrative to be very different and rendered the characters within it to be different entities (Isa is not the same Jesus of the Bible, Allah is not the same God of the Bible, so on and so forth).
    That's a whole subject on it's own but if you'd like to discuss it in depth by all means message me and I would be glad to do so.

4. Ljjgreat2017

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I knew that gays were targeted during the Holocaust. But I've never really had an in-depth knowledge of it.

5. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, along with Gypsies, people with disabilities, old people, people with mental illnesses, Poles and other Slavic peoples, Jehovah's Witnesses, and members of political opposition groups.

Source: the Jewish Virtual Library.

#25 AwesomGaytheist, Apr 26, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
  6. Libertino

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hitler was a peach, wasn't he? He couldn't even keep his desire to exterminate relegated to one demographic.

7. TheLemurLady

TheLemurLady Guest

We weren't told about gays dying in the Holocaust either. Yes we were told about the disabled getting murdered and other groups, but never about LGBT people. I had to mention it in class when we learned about it a few months ago or else all of my classmates never would have learned. It's sad how LGBT people are left out of history, especially when it's about them being victims. They need to be remembered as a reminder for us all.

8. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I learned that political people & undesirables (gays) & gypsies & jews were sent to camps in high school. Gays within the Brown Army (an army that helped bring Hitler to power) were rounded up and executed once Hitler got what he wanted out of them - power.

I visited Dachau concentration camp. This was the fist camp of it's kind. This is where many gays were sent in the 30s. When I went into a gas chamber I nearly fainted and had to exit immediately.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dachau_concentration_camp

9. RedTrekkie95

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I remember learning about Ernst Rohm, the leader of the SA (Brownshirts), he was one of Hitler's most loyal supporters.He was executed, not in a camp though, for being gay under the excuse that he turned the SA into a band of thugs, which he sort of did (under Hitler's directive).

Just shows how unpredictable Hitler was.

10. skittlz

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I first learned that gay people were targeted in the holocaust in 5th grade. I later picked up a book called The Pink Triangle and how the Nazis' way of telling whether someone was gay is very stereotypical. Lesbians were catagorized as misfits with a black triangle. Ultimately the Nazi regime was against homosexuality. Yet according to testimony, many gay male prisoners ended up being sexually assaulted by male Nazi officials.

This may be a more dark interpretation, but I think a major reason why schools don't clearly mention the groups that were targeted in the holocaust is because the community in the school openly discriminates on the other victimized groups. For example, in order to justify homophobia or not seem homophobic, schools will leave out situations in which gays were ostracized in history so that they themselves don't look bad. That way their own wrongdoings can't be compared to the holocaust.

11. novena

I always underestimate how crap the American education system is. England is shite and I still learnt that in year 7. I hate how governments can so easily lie to people through education.

12. Tritri

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Only about half of holocaust victims were actually Jewish. This was just one of many other groups (AwesomGaytheist has a good list above). I learned about it in school while doing a research project on the holocaust.

13. Isaacsolomon

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I did know about this at school, but it was really briefly mentioned in talk about the Holocaust in general. We learned more about the Jews but I do remember homosexuals being mentioned by my teacher and thinking 'couldn't they have just pretended their whole lives not to be gay?' Which just shows how innocent children are ...

More attention probably needs to be paid to the homophobia of it. If they could do that and not lose sight of the anti-Semitism, somehow, then that would be very important and useful. Thinking about it, the fact that I learned this in a Catholic school (which you'd expect to be very homophobic) is quite a surprise in itself.

14. BostonStranger

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Indeed Jewish people were the major target of the holocaust. Jews were seen as 'the worst people' by the nazi ideology. They were going to eradicate all races that weren't Germanic step by step, but thankfully it never came to that. Although dwarfed by the Jewish and Soviet military casualties, LGBT and political prisoners were among the nazi's victims.

I don't know for certain, but I get the feeling that American teens only learn about the holocaust and D-Day. (The difference in American and European WWII movies seem to prove that. Black Book and Riphagen are a must watch, and in a modern context, Er Ist Wieder Da, a.k.a. Look Who's Back)

I can confirm that there were many LGBT victims. My great-grandfather was in the resistance and was arrested and sent to Herzogenbusch concentration camp for hiding Jewish refugees. He was forced into slavery and was made to wear a red triangle on his prison uniform, which distinguished him as a resistance member/political prisoner from other prisoners, like LGBT prisoners who had to wear a pink triangle.

Thankfully I didn't have to live through it. I'm actually crying writing about it, because I know all too well what far right thinking can lead to. I'm everything the far right hates. I'm an LGBT person and I've made helping refugees my profession. I'm a very emphatic person, but I absolutely despise the far/alt right.

15. Sleeping Owl

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In Canada I we've always been taught that other groups were persecuted but the main focus was always on the Jewish.

16. MrK21

Learned about it in eighth grade