1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do I go on the second date?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by lovetoomuch, Apr 23, 2017.

1. lovetoomuch

Hi everyone, I went on my first date with a guy last night and I have many mixed feelings. I was looking for some advice on where to go next - I know I can only make that decision, but based on what I say I want to know your opinions.

Background information: this guy and I talked months ago and before we were supposed to meet, I cut things off because he was looking for something really serious and I couldn't provide that at the time. We ended up matching on a dating app again and I decided to finally give him a chance.

Firstly, he is beyond sweet, probably the sweetest guy I ever talked to. He is very down-to-earth, genuine, and caring - all qualities I deem very important. Additionally, I can already tell he is really into me. He still pursued me after I ended things and just from last night, I know I really made his night. Personality wise, this guy has many things I like.

Now, appearance wise I'm not really attracted to him. He is definitely cute and if most people saw him they would think the same; however, just personally, I'm not extremely attracted to him which scares me. If I didn't sense the physical attraction too much on the first date, can that attraction develop on further dates?

Secondly, as I said, I love his personality. I went on dates in the the past though and felt that spark. With him, I had a good time but I didn't feel the spark: I honestly could see us being great friends more than anything.

Third, he is 26 and I'm 21. 5 years isn't the problem but what worries me is the fact that we are in different stages of life. He is settled with a career and living on his own. I'm just finishing school and have to basically figure out my life. He told me he doesn't really date men over 30 because he found they are in different stages of life - but aren't we kind of in the exact same position? He told he doesn't mind the age difference, but I fear it.

Obviously I tend to overthink and this is why I'm confused whether I should give the second date a chance? I love so many things he has to offer, but if you asked me today if I could see us in a long-term relationship... the answer would unfortunately be no.

* Last piece which is also a huge problem: we are both firm believers in not having sex on the first date and such. But with how long it took us to meet, I think there was some sexual tension on his end. He made the first move and I stupidly ended up going right along with it. We ended up making out (for an extended period of time) and basically feeling each other up (sorry for TMI) but nothing further. It was really nice, but as I said, I have these questions if I want to pursue this further. BUT I don't want to be that guy that made out with him and basically led him on to then not give him a second date. He honestly really does deserve a second date, I just question how much I'm really feeling it.

Thanks and any help is appreciated!

2. Godless

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    There should not be any pressure to do something you don't want to. I went on a first date with a guy three years younger than me and like you fooled around and didn't have sex later. But the second date highlighted the differences in our stages of life and I just stopped seeing him after that. I've been supporting myself since I was 18 and he's finishing college and is not in the same place. Just because you made out with him, doesn't mean anything. That was the point of not having sex on the first date. If you didn't have the spark then you could cut things off there, no big deal. You only should see him again if you want to, not out of obligation. Just my opinion.