1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Signed up for an LGBT women's meetup!

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Mysteria, Apr 21, 2017.

1. Mysteria

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I finally got the guts to go ahead and sign up for our local LGBT women's social group on Meetup. I emailed the person who runs the group, told them I was still in the questioning stage of things and asked if it was alright that I come, and she said absolutely, so I went ahead, signed up, got approved and RSVP'd for an activity.

I can't tell anyone in person about this but I'm nervously excited so I wanted to post here. This is a big step for me. The first activity is a book thing, which is something I'm comfortable with, so that'll make it easier.

2. Really

Congrats!

Don't forget to report back when you've gone. :wink:

3. seeking

I am always nervous about meeting new people.

I hope you very much enjoy it. Let me know how it goes. I want to go to one... but always nervous about not getting along with people or possibility of people just going to the group to meet a lover. I don't like being hit on when in an unfamiliar surrounding.

4. Really

Hey seeking,

How does the group describe itself? If the description sounds easygoing and casual, you shouldn't have a problem. I've gone to two events with the lesbian meetup here and it was exceedingly tame. Not that I was looking for anything more :wink: but I was also a bit nervous before going and it couldn't have been any more laid back than it was. Everyone was friendly and it was just like any other gathering of strangers who just happened to have something in common. No personal or probing questions - in fact, no mention of anything LGBT-ish; just pleasant conversation.

I wouldn't worry about getting hit on unless it's billed as an event to meet dates. In the profile of one of the women in the group here, she mentions that she'd like to meet new friends and lovers :eek: but she was perfectly normal and I got no "predatory" vibe off her at all.

I think we build things up in our mind and they're never as extreme as we imagine they'll be. And don't forget, you can decide to leave at any time. You're not required to spend time with and like these people just because you're all LGBT. Right? :dry:

5. OED27x

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Dude! I just signed up for an LGBT meetup last night too! I thought to myself, what the hell?! Why not? The group is private so the only folks that know the members are the members themselves. At this point I'm not ready to sign up for an event because I'm not separated yet and I need to find closure there before I move into this part of my life. But, it was a step! And congrats to you in this step as well!!

#5 OED27x, Apr 22, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2017
  6. Worker Bee

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Woohoo! Congrats to you and OED!!!!

I'm hoping to sign up for something soon but I'm really not sure what group would be best

7. LunaMare

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's amazing! I hope you have a great time. I wish I found the courage to do that