1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I Seek Therapy?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Simple Thoughts, Apr 16, 2017.

1. Simple Thoughts

So I was kind of curious and I looked over my insurance policy through my work, and apparently they cover mental health. I didn't think they would, but it seems they do. I'm not good at understanding all that technical policy stuff so I don't know exactly what is/isn't covered under that part, but I'm guessing they probably consider it preventative care or something. I'm not sure...

Anyways...I was kind of thinking about seeking a therapist, but I'm not fully sure. I guess first off I don't have a car so my boyfriend would have to drive me and I really don't want him or anyone really to know if I went. Also, I'm not exactly sure what I'm doing. I've never seen a cousellor/therapist/psychiatrist or anything like that before so I don't know what the process is or how any of it works.

I am also kind of confused about where to look. I don't know what exactly I'm looking for. I just feel like it'd be helpful to have someone to talk to for a change. Someone that knows what they're doing, but I also kind of know that I'm a pretty closed off person and I'd probably be spending money just to sit in a room with my mouth shut saying nothing because I don't really open up to people...

Eh I dunno...

2. Silver Sparrow

Hi there Simple Thoughts! I assume there is probably public transit where you live, so you could look into that for transportation.

It can take a while to find a therapist you "click" with. People often visit/consult with multiple people before finding someone to work with in the longer term. One thing to think about is what kind of therapist you want. There are people who specialize in all sorts of issues and use all sorts of methods to treat their patients. One thing though-check to make sure whoever you see takes your insurance. And make sure that they are licensed/have appropriate credentials to practice. Thinking about what you want to work on can also be really helpful. Come in with questions-a good therapist should be prepared to answer them.

3. Simple Thoughts

Well that's part of the issue. I don't entirely know what it is I'm trying to accomplish myself. I've always just sort of had this feeling like it'd do me good to seek that kind of help, but it's not like I've got a playbook written out, I'm just kind of going with the flow.

4. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'd definitely try to think long and hard about what the goal you want to achieve. My first appointment I was flat out asked what I wanted to achieve.

I've just started going to therapy. I'd say I'm pretty closed too. Sometimes I amaze myself how open I can be. Then other times I don't really say much tbh. But that being said, if your therapist is good or decent, it's a nice feeling to have them listen to you, like really listen to you.

5. Simple Thoughts

I don't really have much of a goal in mind really. I have a lot of issues getting motivated to do anything...I dunno =/

I didn't realize you needed a goal 0.0

6. Moonsparkle

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think that everyone can probably benefit from therapy with a good therapist. It is helpful though to have some idea what you would like to gain from the experience.
    A question you might want to consider before even starting:

Are there thought patterns or behaviors in your life that are causing you distress that you would like to improve?

A good therapist can assist in these areas. While simply talking about issues can certainly be beneficial, there should be a forward motion in therapy as well. That of changing any patterns that you may find are not working (or no longer working) in your life-- and heading in a a direction that does work better for you.

And don't worry about being a 'closed off' person. Therapists are experienced in working with people who are closed off or have difficulty sharing. I think the most important thing is to find an experienced therapist, and one that you do click with.

I have been working with a great therapist for a couple of years, and have found it quite helpful in addressing some of my self esteem issues and changing some of the patterns I have repeatedly had in relationships-that definitely weren't working. It takes a lot of hard work-but has been worth it. I would say consider where you want to go with therapy, and then give it a shot. After all, if you find it's not for you you don't have to continue.

7. Simple Thoughts

Ah geeze...I didn't realize I needed a game plan going in. =/

Now I'm starting to wonder if maybe I shouldn't bother because I might just be wasting somebodys time. I don't know what I want, I never know what I want. If I knew what I wanted I'd be doing it...well mostly. I'm kinda lazy and unmotivated, but whatever.

I just felt like I keep too many thoughts to myself and having someone to share those thoughts with would be nice...I didn't realize I needed goals 0.o

8. Euler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Surely you have some reason to even consider seeing a therapist? What is/are the reason(s)? I mean most people don't do it just for fun or the experience. That's a good point to start. Then start thinking what you want to achieve.

9. smurf

Okay, wow people settler down.

This is it. This is your goal and its a great one.

If you aren't used to opening up about your emotions and how you are feeling to people, then starting here is an amazing start. Tell your therapist that. Let he know you are here because you feel you are keeping too much to yourself.

A good therapists will walk you through this setting a goal process. A good therapist will understand what happening to you when you explain all of this to them.

So yes, go. Its free. Take an uber if you have to.

10. Simple Thoughts

Maybe I will. I'm still mostly just considering options at the moment though. Are schedules usually pretty flexible? or does that vary? I have a really weird work schedule so I'd need a sorta weird schedule for this as well ^^"

11. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It really depends. I see my therapist every two weeks, just whenever he can fit me in, because he has a lot of.people. Other people are able to go weekly, same day same time every week. So it varies. Shouldn't be too hard though to find one that fits your schedule.

#11 HM03, Apr 21, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2017