1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Medicaid/Medicare for SR surgery?

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by MichealStrider, Apr 14, 2017.

1. MichealStrider

So me being the late person I am I didn't know this but did you know you can pay for Sex reassignment surgery with Medicare and/or Medicaid? I won't go into much detail but the ban on this was lifted in 2014 but has been updated as of Jan 1st 2017 (Where it was put in motion!)

TAKE THAT TRUMP! *cough* anyway let's get right back into the news.

So If you are maybe a Trans* man or Trans* Woman look into this. I will give a few links on how I found this information.

Links:
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...62fd5443d19_story.html?utm_term=.e3c7a9d56328

https://www.priorityhealth.com/provider/manual/auths/~/media/documents/medical-policies/91612.pdf

----

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

God bless....
    I shouldn't say that

2. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Medicare and Medicaid strictly reserved for seniors? I have only ever heard it being used in conjunction with and by people within that age range. Even now, you don't hear much about transitioning seniors.

3. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm so confused about healthcare.

4. midwestgirl89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Medicaid and Medicare are used for more than just seniors.

Medicaid is for low-income adults, children, pregnant women, seniors, and people with disabilities.

Medicare is health insurance for people 65 and older but also for people who have disabilities.

With both Medicaid and Medicare, people have to go through a process to see if they are eligible. I'm on Medicaid now and it's because I am low-income. I work with people who have both Medicaid and Medicare because of low-income and because they have qualified as having a disability.