1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My long time friend who is gay is proposing for arranged marriage

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Blinko, Apr 9, 2017.

1. Blinko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yeah I totally agree.

Kenyan people are generally warm hearted and welcoming but when you mention your sexual orientation that resembles something out of the 'norm' they cringe. With the local government criminalising homosexuality to appease religious groups and the general perception of the people who are massively religious, it is very difficult to be openly gay because you instantly become a target of slurs and alienation from peers and anyone that gets that information.

I also agree that international organisations support members of the community. It is hard to live freely and be comfortable expressing your sexuality freely if you do not affiliate with such organisations and maybe even live in some regions of the country.
    For instance at the coast there have been protests against offering medical consultation for people that identify as gay.
    So I can live a normative lifestyle but when it comes to expressing my sexuality its somewhat a hit topic

2. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Have you gotten involved in any of the local organizations?

3. Blinko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I agree. The legal status already creates a hostile environment to live freely if I intend to express my sexuality and be open about it. Its sad bad it is what it is. In the meantime maybe I can just be comfortable dating in private and maybe express myself whenever am around gay pals

---------- Post added 20th Apr 2017 at 11:31 AM ----------

I agree. The legal status already creates a hostile environment to live freely if I intend to express my sexuality and be open about it. Its sad bad it is what it is. In the meantime maybe I can just be comfortable dating in private and maybe express myself whenever am around gay pals

---------- Post added 20th Apr 2017 at 11:40 AM ----------

Well she told me that there the same org and others exist that coordinate activities such as clinics that have open and recreational forums such as every Wednesday members of the community meet and openly talk about core issues that affect the community

I'm trying to convince my friend to support me/us by attending one of these meetings to see how it goes from there

Sorry the website is hanging on my end I cannot see my posts but I hope u get this

---------- Post added 20th Apr 2017 at 11:41 AM ----------

Well she told me that there the same org and others exist that coordinate activities such as clinics that have open and recreational forums such as every Wednesday members of the community meet and openly talk about core issues that affect the community

I'm trying to convince my friend to support me/us by attending one of these meetings to see how it goes from there

Sorry the website is hanging on my end I cannot see my posts but I hope u get this

4. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hopefully you can get involved and attend some of the get together. What a great way to develop a sense of community!