1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ever Do Something Against The LGBTQ Community?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by RylanS, Apr 8, 2017.

1. RylanS

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I did once, to simplify it. It was a chat room setting and we always talked. The owner of the chat room was transgender she was a nice person really. Always caring for everyone. Booting off people who where their to troll. I didn't like to admit how I felt about myself on that chat room.
    A less open member of the room made some comments, and I said some to agree with him about trans issues that where not really how i felt. It hurt me but i just didn't want to face myself in front of people, even online.
    Later i decided to talk to the owner about transgender issues threw private messages. She pointed out that i said comments against transgender people in the room, and it hurt really bad. I kind of went into a blind rage and started telling her how her family probably didn't love her because she was transgender. She had already transitioned, I was so jealous i felt like she was living a perfect life. I made such a big deal about everything I was banned from the chat room. After ward i just sat there crying, I don't talk to many people in real life, and it hurt that I just acted like a bigot in front of people who struggle just like me, and as a result i would never talk to them again. :icon_sad:

2. Linkmaste

I made fun of one of my teachers for being gay. I was a turd but I was young and I grew from it.

You were upset. It happens. Everyone has a day where they just don't make a lot of sense and say things they don't mean or are jealous. I can empathize with that.

I think all of us did something bigoted at one point. No ones perfect. You seemed to learn your lesson and strive to do better. That's all anyone can ask from you :slight_smile:(*hug*)

3. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey RylanS,

Don't dwell on what you did once. Pretty much all of us have done something in a moment of anger that we regret. What you did was forgivable and, more importantly (in my opinion), the fact that you regret it speaks a ton about you and the strength of your personal ethics.

As a military officer before and during the "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy, I was sometimes forced by my position of authority to participate in the disciplining and even discharge Soldiers who were simply caught 'being' homosexual. I definitely feel shame about that, not least because most of them were extremely good Soldiers (male and female), but they simply slipped up somewhere along the way and were either Outed or inadvertently Outed themselves. To kinda make up for it, I also tried to identify fellow LGBTQ Soldiers in the ranks around me and, if they did things that could potentially Out them and get them discharged, I went to them and warned them to watch their behavior unless they wanted to risk being discharged. I never initiated any discharges for homosexual Soldiers, but I had to process the paperwork for over a dozen such Soldiers and, as Company-level Commander, if the Commander above me had discovered the three homosexuals in my unit, I would have been forced to initiate discharge paperwork.

4. juxlia

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    The only thing I can remember doing (and still do) against the community is not speaking up for other people. I usually keep to myself, but I'm trying to force myself I speak up more.

5. Linkmaste

Wow that's nuts! I bet you could write a book on that experience. I would feel so shameful from that. But I think it made you stronger, props to telling us that story.

6. Tlacaeleltzin

I did lora of things. Before realizing I like boys, I said lots of homophobic comments. Now I regret it, but still, I'm not out yet. So from time to time I have to say things like "that's gross" in order to hide who I am. I feel like a bitch, miserable and my soul aches, but by now coming out is not an option.

7. Ljjgreat2017

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Back in 2011, I use to say gay slurs a lot. I used to criticize gay people. It lasted until 2013. I became more accepting of the gay or LGBT community in 2012 but I still said some homophobic things. I was questioning my sexuality at the time, as well as today. The only reason why I said homophobic things was because other people were saying homophobic things. I think it is almost dangerous and bad that, that is what causes homophobia. Most people become homophobic growing up because of things that they heard from their parents, classmates, or other people around them. I started to fully accept the LGBT community in 2013.

I'm glad I became accepting of the LGBT community.

8. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Back in the old days I was sort of brainwashed growing up, super religious and taught to hate anyone not following their ideas like a robot. Typical of this area.

When I first started having doubts as a child I tried to "redeem myself" with hostility towards outliers. Desperately trying to hide my true colours by tossing the blame onto others. Shameful and petty. No matter how hard I tried it didn't feel just.

When I realized just how wrong I was, a sense of heavy guilt hit and never left. Ended up gay and atheist, everything my dad never wanted. Now, I want to make up for the volatile past by spreading education and criticism rather than ignorance and hate. It's a start I suppose.

9. Ljjgreat2017

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I enjoyed reading this. This is a perfect example of how hate is taught. I'm glad you progressed in your attitudes.

10. MaoKingofcats

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Tbh I did something similar like that, too. These girls were picking on my friend in middle school both on her music tastes and her sexual orientation which was bi. They were picking on her just because she was a huge, huge fan of Fall Out Boy and would go on and on about the band. I feel guilty for not doing anything because I didn't want to get into something that didn't involve me in it. Looking back at it I wish I did something instead of just sitting there but back then middle school was probably the worst years for me so eh.

11. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes but it was only so I wouldn't be outed.

12. deepwaters7

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    All the time, but just in my head, never anything out loud or to anyone else

13. Assassin'sKat

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    In middle school, I used to think transgendered people were gross. I just didn't really understand why they had to transition.
    Now I know what being transgender actual means, and obviously feel much different about it.

14. WeDreamOfPeace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Have signed petitions to prevent trans people using the right bathroom and to prevent homosexual marriage in America. I was a raving fundamentalist Catholic, but still... not proud of myself.

15. A while back, before I realized who I was, I basically had no idea what being trans meant. I still think about it sometimes and it deeply upsets me but, I basically kinda-sorta maybe told my trans bf that he was a girl and that almost broke him. Thankfully he understood my mistake, I was horribly misinformed and I'm not proud of myself.

We recently broke up sadly. It was for something different though, he told me he just didn't want to be in a relationship.