1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What were early some indicators of your sexuality?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by gaylor, Mar 29, 2017.

1. gaylor

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    After recently realizing my deeply suppressed homosexuality, I have spent a lot of time thinking about a lot of "DUH" moments.

I have always found it hard to be friends or even really connect with men. I have never dated/ been interested enough in a guy to actually pursue them. I immediately turn down any men who do show interest in me.I remember watching animated Disney princess movies when i was young and being really attentive to the way the girls looked, their hair, their bodies. I got caught google "sexy girls" when I far too young.

I should have realized sooner...

2. AlexJames

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well my most obvious 'duh' moment was me noticing that i was checking out other girls in like sixth or seventh grade. For some reason, gym class stands out the most idk why. I just clearly remember checking out a girl and immediately thinking that i was being rude and inappropriate and, feeling embarrassed, ashamed, i guess, hurriedly looking away.

Other than that, just in general i never took to the whole boy crazy thing. I got crushes on boys but it was just cause they were aesthetically pleasing, though i didn't know that at the time. I knew i didn't want to do anything i perceived as what was probably normal with a boy - i didn't want to kiss a boy or go on a date or, as i got older and understood it better, do anything intimate with a boy. I knew that when girls went gaga over a half naked guy they thought was hot, i just didn't understand the appeal. I didn't feel anything looking at some topless guy or whatnot.

It was so freaking obvious but i just shrugged it all off. I was very repressed for years to the point i was convinced i was just a modest, conservative, not very sexual, girl who prioritized school over boys. But even then there were signs. Saying that i was straight when i got asked if i was gay just never felt right rolling off my tongue even if i wholeheartedly believed it at the time.

3. BlueLion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    When I was a teenager, I simply realised that I was attracted to men. Also, I was never interested in any girl in a romantic way. I was in denial for several years, but finally I accepted my sexuality and I realised that I could be happy being gay. These were my most obvious 'DUH' moments.

In addition, when I was asked if I liked any girl I didn't feel comfortable. I simply said "no" or "not yet". Or for example, when boys talked to me about girls, assuming that I was straight, I also felt uncomfortable.

4. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For me? I realized that all my sexual fantasies had to do with acts associated with two women together. I also don't find men good looking in general, and all my crushes have been on girls. I also found heterosexual sex to be repulsive (at least when I'M involved in it. I don't find it repulsive between two people who consent to it). I mean, I recently got asked a sexual question about what I like a man to do to me in bed without the person knowing my sexuality. I was instantly turned-off and shuddered based on the pronouns involved.

I actually don't hate men though, and I prefer them as friends for the most part. This is because I am very tomboyish and don't communicate like a girly girl. My best friend is female, but is just as "guy-ish" as I am, so it works out.

5. Sawyer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So many duh moments for me. I've dated two men before and felt nothing. When they kissed me, I felt repulsed. But I had so many crushes on girls. Teachers, celebs, girl bands, classmates, neighbours...and absolutely no crush on any man.

#5 Sawyer, Mar 31, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
  6. Shasta

Out Status:
    Some people
    I have always been attracted to women

7. raspberry

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I had a what I can see now as a crush on Legolas in the LOTR films when I was about 7. :lol:

8. sunnyskies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It's weird I don't think I have 'duh' moments exactly. I mean there are things that, looking back, probably have to do with the fact it turns out I'm actually very far from straight; I was a massive tomboy until I was about 12/13, I have never been boy crazy and not awfully interested in dating or making out with guys, I always struggled to see the appeal of male bodies, I had crushes on my female teachers (even if I didn't recognise them as crushes at the time)...
    But the thing is it crossed my mind several times the question of 'oh could I actually be gay?' But the answer would always be 'no, I definitely don't see myself interested in women'. The realisation, or perhaps even the attraction itself, of being attracted to women came gradually at the age of about 16 and it took another 6 years to comprehend that I actually like women a lot, and that only comes from comparing how I feel about men with how I feel about women; all the appeal I could never understand about romance suddenly makes perfect sense when I replace the thought of being romantic with a guy, with being romantic with a girl. These feelings never felt present when I was young though. Maybe I just wasn't in tune with my actual feelings, or maybe they only properly started arriving in puberty, who knows!

9. YoungMountain

I have lots of "duh!" moments, thanks to my decision to suppress my homoromantic/erotic thoughts. In elementary school, I had a crush on one of my female classmates and it actually made me question my orientation (I had lots of gay neighbors, so I knew what homosexuality was from an early age) but I told myself that I just liked her appearance because I wanted to be as pretty as her, not because I liked her. Of course I liked her; "duh!"

In middle school, I had another crush on a girl and lots of fantasies about being with girls. I didn't know what bisexuality was, though, so I told myself and my friends that I was straight because I also liked boys. I unironically thought of myself as a straight girl who was also sexually attracted by the same sex, even though "straight" never felt right to me. Even when I learned what bisexuality was, I was still in denial. I don't know why I did this.

#9 YoungMountain, Apr 9, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2017
  10. Linkmaste

Wow, I had the same ones! Can totally relate to gym class. I always ducked away in the actual bathroom to change into my gym clothes.

I always was attracted to Gerudo Valley in OOT LOZ and loved the idea of spending time with them, riding horses together, practically being married and raising little gerudo girls lmao-so weird!

11. Worker Bee

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Crushing on Lynda Carter as Wonder Woman

12. RainbowArtNerd

My duh moment was a little different because I was never a "tomboy". I preferred hanging out with the boys (mostly because they were nicer to me) but I loved my skirts and dresses. There were some things that I preferred to do that were more "tomboy" like wrestling on the playground for fun, but other than that I've always been pretty feminine.

My number one duh moment included looking back on talking with my friends about "getting married" and living right next door to each other. Except for the fact that I imagined something very different. There was no husband that I pictured, it was always the friend-crush that would live with me. It never occurred to me that they would actually want to go and marry a guy and have kids. I kind of figured that was what everyone said. Eventually I realized that they wouldn't just stay with me.

Even the list that my friends and I made of things we wanted in our "guy" had no specific masculine qualities on mine. While they would say first, "I want him to be handsome with no beard" I would say, "they have to be funny, and smart". It was a subconscious shift on my part even with the pronouns because though I've always had a very active imagination, I could never picture a man that I could love.

I just laugh that I tried to hide it (unsuccessfully) for so long.

13. Ushiromiya Red

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think my "duh" moment when I realized I might be gay was when I'd be watching either anime, movies, or tv shows I would obsess mentally about how a girl looked and I paid attention. Does that make sense? I thought the girls were beautiful and it wasn't just "oh I like her dress beautiful" but a "I want to kiss her beautiful." Oh and 80% of my favorite characters are girls and had a lot of anime girl posters on my walls. That might have been an indicator to the untrained eye.