1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I share my lgbt writing?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by crochetgay, Mar 29, 2017.

1. crochetgay

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So, I'm in this club at school and we basically read books together and share our writing and get critiques. The place I live is pretty conservative, and I'm fairly sure that a good amount of them are religious.
    I really want to share my writing, but all I write and all I'm interested in writing is lgbt+ themed fiction. Should I share with them and just them being kinda uncomfortable. I don't care if it leads them to realizing that I myself am lgbt.
    Also, the sharing is online so I don't have to like, sit there and read it to them. And my content is school appropriate.

2. radioqueen

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hello,

I suppose if you don't care that they realize you're LGBT+ then there isn't too much harm that I can think of. Is there a chance you'll get kicked out if they don't accept you? If not, what are you being cautious about? At this point I personally don't care at all if people are uncomfortable with LGBT+ things. They need to learn to live with it because the times are (or should be) changing! It's their problem that they're not accepting.

Also, not everyone who is religious is anti-LGBT (though I live in a progressive area so there are more people like that near me...). My very good friend and her family are pretty Christian are very accepting of it--her parents once wouldn't let her read or watch Harry Potter because of "warlocks" or something against God but now they love it and they are totally cool with LGBT people, though they once weren't. People also can change.

Hope your writing goes well!

Bee

#2 radioqueen, Mar 29, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2017
  3. crochetgay

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yeah, that's true, I deserve to share my stuff just as much as they do. I don't worry that they'll kick me out because of it, so I think that I'll do it. Thanks.
    I didn't mean to imply that all religious people were anti-LGBT. I was raised Christian (and while I'm no longer religious) most of my family still is. My family has come a long way from when I was a kid, I was actually not allowed to read Harry Potter for the same reason (and now ironically my dad loves it almost as much as me). So I totally understand that people can change. But this area, in general, isn't super progressive, so that's kinda why I'm assuming.

4. radioqueen

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I get it, yeah. :icon_wink

5. Eyerene

As long as you're confident you won't be in danger by sharing your stories, I don't see why not.

They can sit there and be uncomfortable. Being uncomfortable with something can sometimes help people question biased behaviors.