1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Everyones news - American citizens call your representative in Washington.

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by brainwashed, Mar 29, 2017.

1. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  2. Linkmaste

Guys: This does deserve your attention. If I was American-I would be calling these folks twice a day now.

This means that they will know you're on this website. This means that they will bias you on insurance, school, education, health coverage, even police stops.

Hey SJW's wanna get in on this too? This is actually something useful you guys can screech about.

3. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I really hope somebody helps these utter imbeciles comprehend their mistakes.
    A coward like me isn't brave enough to take a stand, but I can only wish for the best.

It's not like my words would mean a thing to them anyway. They've decided we're not people. No amount of reason can dismantle such potent stupidity... I hope I'm wrong.

4. Linkmaste

Is this topic seriously not getting more responses?

Let me break this new law down for you Americans:

This will be set as a law that can not be overturned easily. This law will be on par to the big acts that take whole houses and Presidential overturn.

This law will allow ANY COMPANY TO WATCH YOUR ACTIVITES.

Say you want to get a job and they want to monitor that you've been going to this website-THEY CAN. THEY CAN AND MIGHT NOT WANT TO GIVE YOU A JOB.

Say you want insurance and they monitor the fact that you do not support Donald Trump. They can deny you insurance OR RAISE IT.

Say a new law comes in banning LGBTQ Propoganda. The fact you are all on this site, are American deems it to be a crime and you can all be arrested and charged.

Look, I'm not saying this all will happen for sure but this is a pretty scary law that you guys are getting. Please, Please wake up! THIS IS A BAD LAW! YOUR INTERNET IS BEING CRACKED WIDE OPEN.

Oh and EC being an American website, it might face problems in the future-just saying.

Now, what can you do?

Go call your Representatives (yeah even you fifteen year olds) and tell them this is wrong. Stop this. Go riot this, you are losing one of the biggest prevledges to your privacy where you can seek help about topics where other people don't think it's right.

I'm sorry, it's just more baffling that people seem to care more about BLM that the fact of NASA being defunded or internet privacy is being completely taken away. These topics effect all of us (even us in different countries).

5. DoriaN

Yeah, people are pretty surprising, no matter how many times you say or show things it's hard to get through. The shock and bafflement does lessen with time but it's still no less upsetting.

6. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    (I haven't clicked the link. It's very late and I really need to go to bed.) NSA has already been doing this a few years now. I believe it started with Bush and then was reinstated by Obama. I don't look up anything questionable so, I'm not concerned. If this is an attempt at counter-terrorism, I say good on them.

7. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am pretty sure "internet privacy" has never been a legitimate thing in the first place. By even being online, you forfeit your right to privacy in what you search or post. I'm not saying I like it, but it is what it is.

Though I seriously doubt the government is reading everyone's search history to hunt down LGBT people.

In the end, I don't do anything illegal online so whatever.

#7 Kodo, Apr 7, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
  8. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The difference, though, is that the provider having a basic level of access to your data is vastly different from the complete surrender of data to whomever that company wants to give those data. Keep in mind that there is already an enormous inequality between consumers and companies in the current user agreements that exist, because consumers have few alternatives and lower levels of knowledge. Statutory protection stops that power from being abused.

There is big difference between me consenting to my location, contact info and search history being shared with the same provider/website/app that I contracted with with terms I can clearly refer to. Having the complete purchase of that data and sale to bodies which I do not know about or do not want to possess my data is terrifying. It means I have the option between the unfettered loss of my privacy to unknown companies and having little or no access to tech-based services. It could also mean the sale of my data to buyers who are less careful with my data or less scrupulous in their purposes.

All companies have an incentive to capitalise on that. Either they can charge a premium for not breaching privacy or choose to sell your data to the highest bidder. Given the value of online data, the price of that premium is likely to be high. That means you harm consumers by turning a right into a luxury purchase, all the while creating no meaningful wealth and likely leading to the increased possibility of data breaches.

The OP misstated the problem with this. Governments and their agencies have a lot of access to your data and we often accept that because of the safety it brings and the relative privacy afforded by security agencies keeping their cards close their chests. The question in this thread is whether the right to sell your privacy with no inhibitions or charge you to maintain your current rights is a good and just thing to do.

I don't think this is catastrophic, nor do I think it will change many people's lives significantly. But it is wrong, it is the product of greed and a lack of accountability in US government, it is foolish and undermines the security of personal data.

9. tranonymous

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is real bad for you Americans (by the way New Zealand's nice this time of year). I mean sure they've been spying on you for ages already, but this makes it legal.

Also Linkmaste is not overreacting, your president is a masive bigot and I wouldn't put it past him to do something like this.

Also also, the idea that "if you have nothing to hide, then you have nothing to fear" is so dangerous. Have you not read nineteen eighty four? Because that book depicts a society ruled through the fear of constant surveillance, and it's getting terrifyingly plausible nowadays.

(sorry about my excessive use of italics and underlining, but I feel that this topic deserved it).

10. Ushiromiya Red

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    :icon_sad:
    Yeah I remember them doing this. It's a load of bullshit for many internet users in the USA. As if I thought FB was bad enough, the stupidity of this bullshit exceeds well past 9,000. :eusa_clap

The thing is I haven't a clue what to do about it. What do you do when your own bloody government could give two shits less about its people's privacy? What do you do? How does somepony respond? :bang:

11. ErickWolf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It might not seem like a big deal now to some people but I don't trust this govt (nor do I like the direction this country is going). Yet another reason I want to move to the UK assuming things are better there.

12. Joelouis

I've never actually watched it but have heard it mentioned many times. Might have to YouTube it now actually.

I just can't help wondering whether all those conspiracy theorists weren't just scaremongering after all. What with many governments passing new laws allowing them to keep tabs on us all and claiming all reasons in the name of terrorist prevention.

13. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I wanna moved to Italy now and be a repressed European.

14. tranonymous

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I haven't seen the movie of nineteen eighty four so I dont know how it compares to the book, but another movie you should watch is Snowden, it's based on real (and relatively recent) events and its pretty scary.