1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

End of the Year Formal

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by BlueBanana, Mar 25, 2017.

1. BlueBanana

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm going to my school's end of the year 8th grade formal with a girl as "just friends", but my parents sure as hell aren't treating it like that despite knowing I'm gay and being "supportive parents". Even better, she also likes me (my male best friend and I are the only ones who know this). She told him that she won't pursue me if I don't show any interest in her. When she asked if I wanted to go to formal with her, she was nervous as if she were asking me on a date, not like a best friend wanting to go to formal with their best friend. That was a red flag. My mom wants me to kiss her goodnight, for the girl and I to go eating first, and everything that happens on a normal date between a boy and girl. My dad tells me that I should just forgot the "just friends" part and treat this like a date. That'll make her think I like her. I don't want to lead the girl on and ruin our friendship. I planned on coming out next year in my Freshmen year of high school and she and I are going to different high schools. If it is treated as a normal date then she'll be heartbroken when we go separate ways and have to split up. I feel like crying but physically can't. Am I overreacting? Should I just fake it to make her happy?

2. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Remember you are the one attending the formal, not your parents (who seem to be in denial about your orientation). Could you come out to this girl now? It will be hard, but your honesty would hopefully stop her from developing a serious crush.

3. beenthrdonetht

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You better tell her. She'll get over it and it will be a funny shared secret that you have at the formal. The alternative is to have an unshared secret that will totally ruin the evening for you and probably her too.

Once the secret is out (to her) you could probably even get away with holding hands or kissing, because you both know it doesn't count. OK just kidding there, but it shouldn't be a serious thing it should be fun.

Treat her nice: she likes you and showed it. You're probably a likable guy and deserve it. This could be the beginning of a long friendship.

#3 beenthrdonetht, Mar 26, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
  4. cakepiecookie

Your parents are being whack. Treating it like a date will only get this poor girl's hopes up and hurt her more in the long run. It's a recipe for disaster.

If you're not prepared to come out to her, you could simply tell her up front that you that you don't like her that way and don't want to lead her on (nicely, of course!). Or you could just go to the formal and be friendly and platonic and hope she gets the hint.