1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do you guys think of "SJWs"?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Random Ross 1, Mar 20, 2017.

1. So this is a controversial question, especially in an LGBT+ forum. But I just want everyone's honest opinion on the SJW movement. Has it done good? Is it going too far and causing harm to the community? No judgement here, I just honestly want to know what people think of this. I'll state my opinion, and I am completely open to disagreement. My opinion: I'm sure it started out with good intentions, but it's gone waaaay too far. It ended up just bringing more hate to the LGBT+ community in the long run, and it's getting out of hand. Again, I am open to disagreement, but I really just want you guys to state your opinions on this issue. I know this is controversial, but we can't deny that it plays a big role in the LGBT+ community, and is something that should be talked about.

2. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    It's gone too far and causes harm. Trump won because they made liberals look like a bunch of whiny cry babies.

3. MisterMissy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    People who actually call themselves Social Justice Warriors have basically become a hindrance to progress rather than the champions. They nit-pick at so many things that are often only unintentionally un-inclusive or insensitive, if not entirely harmless, unless looked at by someone wanting to find fault. And this serves to only make the real problems harder to focus on.

It's true to an extent that a lot of what society is built on is habitual distaste or awkwardness towards anything out of the norm, and each group or demographic, especially white people, will tend to focus things around themselves, either in storytelling, in art, in movie casting, job offers, etc. It may be intentional, it may not be. There's room for both possibilities.

And no, I don't think any of this is right, but if we seek out to demonize any amount of perceived racism or homophobia, even when unintentional or simply ignorantly expressed by an otherwise well-meaning person, then we are only making the divide between everyone worse by making everything a crusade.

We should seek to listen, understand, and educate, not persecute or ostracize.

I'm sure there are plenty of SJW's who have perhaps had too much occur to them personally to think or act any other way than which they do, because they've been hurt or burned too much. And unfortunately that cannot be helped. But I don't want to see society deteriorate further. I stand for mutual understanding, love, and tolerance. And to that I say, let us all be Social Healers, instead of Warriors.

#3 MisterMissy, Mar 20, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2017
  4. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm older I suppose but I can't say I've ever actually met one...

5. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm not a huge fan of milo yiannopolus but I thought it was so funny when he called SJW's social justice losers hahaha :lol:

6. Tritri

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I believe SJWs are a real thing and a real problem. Take Milo Stewart, or a lot of the stuff on buzzfeed. People who insist on multiple genders and non-standard pronouns, who believe in safe spaces, trigger warnings, and microaggressions, who complain about cultural appropriation, who think "non-white" is a racist term, any disagreement is bigotry.

7. dvxqnc

They ruin the image of the political left, and are just as hateful as those they claim to be fighting.

I've met one of these "social justice warriors" on campus before, and I had to actively try not to call her out on her bullshit. She broke the student code of conduct at our college (she used a megaphone inside the main building and refused to stop) and when she was being disciplined she said it was because she was a brown woman.

We're a community college in Western Washington and she tried to pull the race card. We literally had a Black Lives Matter event...

8. AbsoluteNerd

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The real question:
    Why are they all Social Justice WARRIORS?
    Why didn't anyone pick a different class, like Social Justice Mage or Social Justice Thief?

9. Blackrainbow

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Some just like the sound of their own voice. Generally the people who call themselves SJWs, I find.

Others who earn that title, raise perfectly valid points and are ignored by people just as obnoxious as the SJW stereotype they're mocking.

10. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    They're annoying.

11. Rook

They are far left. I don't agree with them much.

I sometimes see people say they're right wing because they don't want to be associated with the progressive movement and SJWs. I think Dave Rubin used to be on the left, but switched for that reason. Though perhaps, they were right wingers all along, because it is possible to be left leaning and against the far left.

12. Linkmaste

Social Justice Warriors hinder free speech instead of giving it.

My male, white, straight friends are getting heat and attacked by these things and it pisses me off.

But like everything, there are extremists.

Still though....ugh they make my cringe.

13. Jellal

Unfortunately, a lot of people I've associated with identify themselves as SJW snowflakes proudly. They want to reclaim those labels. Whatever. I do my best not to be pissy around them, but as far as what I think of their political beliefs? It's a simpering, defensive, dogmatic, victim-martyr-complex cover for a truly vicious breed of authoritarian social control.

14. Bakemono

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Dey alright

15. Shadowgirl37

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The difference between an activist and an SJW.

An Activist wants a ramp put in so disabled people can enter the building.

An SJW wants the stairs removed to not cause people in wheelchairs to feel bad.

16. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't like them at all. They take their beliefs too far, and many are as homophobic as a christian redneck stereotype. They just do it in different ways.

17. kibou97

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Not a super big fan of them. I can get along well enough to work with them if I need to but tend to avoid them whenever I don't have to be around them. Their attitude and beliefs normally just annoy me which is why I rarely even try to talk about my beliefs with them.

18. Aviator

SJWs make up just some of the cancers that the Western World has to deal with. They're spoiled brats who only serve to fuck up everything the LGBT community has worked so hard to achieve. The fact that they defend Islam while simultaneously cameighning for LGBT rights is sickening. I have no issues with muslims as people, but the Qu'ran has some of the most vile verses I have ever seen, even worse than the Bible at some points. That and some go so far as saying "Dysphoria doesn't exist!". I hate using this word, but that is utterly offensive. I suffer from GID and it's a struggle almost every fuckin day, and for someone who claims to be "fighting for my rights" to completely invalidate me is just cruel.

Fuck the SJWs.

19. Assassin'sKat

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The thing about SJW's is, they are always policing their language, and want to be around people who do the same. I don't want that. Communicate with your friends however you want, but I am going to go make offensive jokes around my own friends, because that's the crowd I hang out with. Me and SJW's are not compatible company. But I have no problem with them, other than that. The problem begins when they try to take other people's rights away. "You can't say that!" "You must have certain representation in your movies or you're racist!" Like, stop. Stop it. If you don't like what someone is saying, don't listen. If you don't like their art, don't look at it. Quit telling people what to do.

However, I have seen a little bit of this in the anti-SJW community as well. Like, all those people who unsubscribed from netflix because of their "dear white people" movie. That was stupid. Like, if you don't want to see that, don't watch it. But you don't have to stop watching the other stuff that's on netflix...
    But that was a little different because they weren't necessarily trying to ban something from society. They are just boycotting a company. You can quit netflixing if you want. But I think you're dumb if you do that, and it's my right to think that.

20. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    They're more interested in crowing at people and being holier-than-thou than actually educating anyone about racism/sexism/etc. Few people are receptive to having some idiot e-yell at them over minor transgressions such as using an outdated term or not agreeing with the SJW dogma in lockstep. If you want to discuss someone's views with them, you should be able to understand where they are coming from. Nothing bad can come from knowing your ideological opponent. Instead, SJWs look down on their ideological opponents--and their opponent just happens to be everyone who isn't them.

(The thing about anti-SJWs, though, is that some of them become so absorbed in opposing these people that they radicalize themselves. Indeed, many anti-SJW types also tend to isolate themselves in their own echo chambers.)